The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Great no call ... despite what everyone thinks! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50530-great-no-call-despite-what-everyone-thinks.html)

Johnny Ringo Tue Dec 23, 2008 08:54pm

Great no call ... despite what everyone thinks?

How many of you think the ref got this call correct?

YouTube - Illinois vs Kentucky - 1984 NCAA

He ends his dribble when his left foot was on the ground - this is his pivot - he then does not move that foot.

Do you agree?

JugglingReferee Tue Dec 23, 2008 09:14pm

From what I can tell from the video, the left foot is the pivot foot, and it does not move illegally.

Adam Tue Dec 23, 2008 09:21pm

But the announcers thought it was a travel, so it must have been. They both agreed.

What?

Oh, never mind.

Can you imagine the hell the ref would have gotten if he'd made that call?

Spence Tue Dec 23, 2008 09:37pm

As a long time watcher and as a rookie official I've always said the most missed walk call is the one that's called because it looks odd. I see it all of the time.

just another ref Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561272)
But the announcers thought it was a travel, so it must have been. They both agreed.

Actually I think they agreed he was "close to walking" if not "very close to walking."

My question: WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING??:D

JRutledge Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:38pm

It was not even close to a travel. The official made a great call.

BTW, that was Bruce Douglass from Quincy High School. I officiated his son a couple of years ago at Downers Grove High School in the Chicago area. I understand Douglass is now a minister. And ironically Douglass was awarded the Top 100 influence coaches and players in IHSA History and was given an award when I worked at Quincy High School in 2007.

Peace

M&M Guy Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:05am

And I was actually AT that game. My friend and I did the travel between the regional sites at St. Louis and Lexington, since one site played Thurs./Sat., and the other played Fri./Sun. It was a great game, great atmosphere, although it was a home game for Kentucky. I believe it was this game that caused the NCAA to institute the rule that a school cannot play a regional final at their home court.

No, it wasn't a travel, but I thought there should've been a held ball called. Just my humble, semi-unbiased opinion. :D

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Dec 24, 2008 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 561281)
Actually I think they agreed he was "close to walking" if not "very close to walking."

Hmmm...is there a difference between the two? Oh wait, these were announcers who said that? Never mind!

Adam Wed Dec 24, 2008 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 561443)
Hmmm...is there a difference between the two? Oh wait, these were announcers who said that? Never mind!

Right, and apparently there's no difference between "almost walking" and "traveling."

Johnny Ringo Thu Dec 25, 2008 05:50pm

I have showed to several basketball people - not officials - and at first they all said travel!

Then after explaining it they actually understood.

Most fall in the category - if it looks awkward then it is a violation.

Question: Does anyone know of any videos that demonstrate legal pivot moves?

tjones1 Thu Dec 25, 2008 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 561371)
And I was actually AT that game. My friend and I did the travel between the regional sites at St. Louis and Lexington, since one site played Thurs./Sat., and the other played Fri./Sun. It was a great game, great atmosphere, although it was a home game for Kentucky. I believe it was this game that caused the NCAA to institute the rule that a school cannot play a regional final at their home court.

No, it wasn't a travel, but I thought there should've been a held ball called. Just my humble, semi-unbiased opinion. :D

That game was a long time ago.

Dang! That means that M&M is... well... let's see... carry the 8, add the two.... oh, nevermind. So you had fun at the game M&M? ;) :D

Merry Christmas!!

M&M Guy Fri Dec 26, 2008 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 561664)
That game was a long time ago.

Dang! That means that M&M is... well... let's see... carry the 8, add the two.... oh, nevermind. So you had fun at the game M&M? ;) :D

Merry Christmas!!

Hey, I'm old enough to knock you over the head with my walker! (If I ever catch up to you...) :D
Yea, NCAA tournament games are fun, especially if the team you're rooting for is in it. In this case, it was essentially a home game for Kentucky, so the place was packed. I at least get to say I've been in Rupp Arena, even if it wasn't the outcome I wanted.

dbking Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:51pm

Game from a different era

I was also at the game! Remember the play well. I had lower arena seats and had a great time rooting for the Illini. I actually had two extra seats and sold them out front. I refused to sell them to Kentucy fans. I found two Illini backers and sold them for face value to them and had KY fans screaming at me and offering big bucks for them. I looked at them and said "No more big blue fans in here!"

No travel, good call.

fullor30 Sat Dec 27, 2008 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 561371)

Well, at least YOU traveled!

Ref Ump Welsch Sat Dec 27, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561444)
Right, and apparently there's no difference between "almost walking" and "traveling."

Wow...I wonder if these announcers had non-native speakers for English teachers in school. :rolleyes: