The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Over the Backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50528-over-backboard.html)

cubsfanllw Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:45pm

Over the Backboard

watching ncaam game last night. shot went up, bounced off rim and over backboard (didn't look like it touched support or shot clock). referee blew it dead and signaled the ball going the other way.

made me question myself because i didn't know whether or not that was also true in hs games. so,

1) shot goes up, off rim, bounces over backboard (without touching anything) rebounded on back side - violation?

2) player shoots from endline near basket and ball goes over the corner of the backboard from back to front and in - violation?

ma_ref Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:49pm

1) yes
2) yes

Assuming rectangular shaped backboard in both...

Ch1town Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfanllw (Post 561180)
1) shot goes up, off rim, bounces over backboard (without touching anything) rebounded on back side - violation?

2) player shoots from endline near basket and ball goes over the corner of the backboard from back to front and in - violation?

1. If the ball passes over the backboard in either direction it is a violation.

2. By rule a violation as you describe it, but I'd like to judge it myself by seeing that one.

So, how bout them Bears? If we only had a QB...

Adam Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:51pm

Rule 7-1-2b
The ball is out of bounds when it passes over a rectangular backboard.

jevaque Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:52pm

yes both are violations at all levels, the ball cannot break the plane of the back board, it does not matter if i touches anything, but if it does touch the shot clock or supports it is also OOB.

cubsfanllw Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:54pm

thanks

Scratch85 Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:54pm

Both situations are considered OOB when a rectangular backboard is being used.

7-1-2b The ball is out of bounds when it passes over a rectangular backboard.

M&M Guy Tue Dec 23, 2008 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevaque (Post 561186)
...the ball cannot break the plane of the back board,...

I will quibble with this statement. The ball most certainly can bounce off the rim, break the plane on top, bounce on the top edge three (or more) times, then bounce back past the front of the backboard. No violation.

It is only a violation if the ball passes <B>over</B> the top (front-to-back or back-to-front).

But, I'm sure that's what you meant. :)

BillyMac Tue Dec 23, 2008 07:10pm

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

The front, top, sides, and bottom of the backboard are all in play. The ball cannot pass over a rectangular backboard from either direction. The back of a backboard is out of bounds as well as the supporting structures.

zebra44 Tue Dec 23, 2008 08:40pm

Had to bring this up, huh? My partner called this twice last game from lead. Grrr.:mad:

Oz Referee Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfanllw (Post 561180)
watching ncaam game last night. shot went up, bounced off rim and over backboard (didn't look like it touched support or shot clock). referee blew it dead and signaled the ball going the other way.

made me question myself because i didn't know whether or not that was also true in hs games. so,

FIBA -

1) no violation

2) basket counts (and Larry Bird did it in at least one game I remember against the Lakers c.1980)

Oz Referee Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevaque (Post 561186)
yes both are violations at all levels

Except of course for the rest of the world that plays according to FIBA rules!

mutantducky Wed Dec 24, 2008 02:13am

Yeah that Bird shot was nice. I wouldn't mind seeing a rule change to allow shots like that be counted especially ones when the player is outside the key. ex- player driving from the side, gets pushed during the shot and following out of bounds shoots it over the backboard and makes it. tough calls to make though.

Coach Bill Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra44 (Post 561264)
Had to bring this up, huh? My partner called this twice last game from lead. Grrr.:mad:

I'm assuming what you're talking about is that your partner called the ball out of bounds when it touched the top or side of the backboard. What did you do? Nothing?

Adam Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz Referee (Post 561304)
FIBA -

1) no violation

2) basket counts (and Larry Bird did it in at least one game I remember against the Lakers c.1980)

I believe a violation was called on that shot, but I could be wrong.