The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Reporting "Double" Numbers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50492-reporting-double-numbers.html)

Stat-Man Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:23pm

Reporting "Double" Numbers

Speaking NFHS Ruleset (CYO for those wanting details :D )

If a team has, say #5 and #55, is it ok to ask the referee to use both hands to report fouls on 55 and one hand for 5? I had this come up in our 8th grade boys game. It would have eliminated some confusion on one foul.

Nothing overly unusual otherwise, aside from two wedgies in one day. I had to chuckle on the wedgie in the 8th grade boys game since the arrow favored the vistors and the home fans are saying "It's white's ball - that's a bad call!" :D

BktBallRef Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 560494)

If a team has, say #5 and #55, is it ok to ask the referee to use both hands to report fouls on 55 and one hand for 5? I had this come up in our 8th grade boys game. It would have eliminated some confusion on one foul.

No. One hand to report under NFHS rules and mechanics.

refnrev Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:48pm

Stick to one hand.

derwil Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:16am

Local Association

One of our local association has officials that like to call a la' NBA refs. Two handed numbers called to the table from the baseline, no signals/mechanics except on block calls which are made two fists pounding the hips multiple times while jumping up and down. Very.....theatric. :eek:

I don't believe the offending officials have been selected for post season tournaments.

Kelvin green Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:41am

Quote:

:D

My question about the confusion... is it because the 55 was reported by the official as five-five?

I always speak english when reporting the number. I have never heard an announcer at any level say... Fouls is was on # three-two, Karl Malone for his second personal foul...

You never tell your partner hey look at five- five and two-three they are both going after each other...

Why is it that people think that reporting a foul is the only place we don't speak normally?

IREFU2 Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:26am

Quote:

Nothing overly unusual otherwise, aside from two wedgies in one day. I had to chuckle on the wedgie in the 8th grade boys game since the arrow favored the vistors and the home fans are saying "It's white's ball - that's a bad call!" :D

That is also a NCAA-W mechanic. We use it when reporting and its hard when you do both High School and Womens college not to use two hand reporting on the High School level......but when it Rome....bla..bla!!!!

chartrusepengui Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:33am

when reporting a number like 55 I will give the first 5 with palm facing table then turn hand around and 2nd 5 is with back of hand to table.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 560560)
when reporting a number like 55 I will give the first 5 with palm facing table then turn hand around and 2nd 5 is with back of hand to table.

FWIW, that goes against every mechanic manual and clinic I've ever attended.

mbyron Mon Dec 22, 2008 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 560570)

That's what I was going to say. Probably carries more weight coming from Bob. :o

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 560570)

Yep. It surely does. I've had multiple evaluators "comment" on my use of this reporting style for "double numbers". But I've only ever had one scorekeeper not understand what number I was reporting. He was deaf. I'm not sure what that says.

chartrusepengui Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:07am

I adopted this practice after it was suggested while attending a clinic. I only do this with double numbers and it seems work. I've never had a problem since adopting the practice although will admit I didn't have many problems prior to this. I just tried it at the clinic and it stuck. I've never had an evaluator say anything about it. I don't see it as a big deal - turning the hand around for second number. It's still using one hand.

IREFU2 Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:43pm

I would suggest you unadopt it if you want to move up.....LOL...

Rich Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 560641)
I would suggest you unadopt it if you want to move up.....LOL...

Yeah, if you want to be Ted Valentine, use the two handed reporting style. :D

IREFU2 Mon Dec 22, 2008 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 560644)
Yeah, if you want to be Ted Valentine, use the two handed reporting style. :D

Yeah, only he can get away with such things.....

stripes Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 560574)
Yep. It surely does. I've had multiple evaluators "comment" on my use of this reporting style for "double numbers". But I've only ever had one scorekeeper not understand what number I was reporting. He was deaf. I'm not sure what that says.

Ray, I was asked in Richfield (by one of your board members) if you picked this up from me. I told them IDK, but that you had seen me work before. The person telling me this also said that they liked it when I did it, but not when you did it. I told them to quit sucking up and tell me they didn't like my mechanics either. They just smiled.

I'm not really sure where I picked this up, but I always struggled with how I reported double numbers until I started flipping my hand and have continued doing it since then. I have never had a problem with scorekeepers either and I have moved up nicely using it...the "mechanic" has not hampered my schedule in any way.