The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Case book back me up? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50491-case-book-back-me-up.html)

referee99 Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22pm

Case book back me up?

I'm coaching a 6th grade CYO team today.

Couple of minutes into the game I have a sub report, they come in and play, have a foul called against them. Come to find they are not in the book.

Referee comes over and discusses with our parent volunteers at the table. I say I submitted my list of players (it was on the table) he says the player is not in the book, so we have a technical.

As he was going to administer I suggested he would need to check his case book when he got home. Later I was thinking, I don't know if the case book supports me here.
I know that if I were officiating, I would look at the submitted list and if the player was properly submitted I would not issue the technical.

Anyways, kid misses both throws, no biggie. I don't know that he has a case book! He called traveling on a throw in, did a redo on a throw-in which did not make it onto the court (I BLAME SOCCER!) and a couple of other goodies. Overall it was all good and the older and younger officials did a good job. We lost by a couple cuz we could not make a shot to save our lives.

Does the case book support no Administrative Technical if submitted lineup is accurate and in the copying the scorekeeper omitted a player?

BktBallRef Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:31pm

The rule states,

A team shall not:
Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time. (10-1-1)

It's not a T and not the coach's fault if the scorer doesn't write it in the book.

There is no case play that addresses it.

refnrev Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:45pm

I have a partner who, when he checks the book, he has the HC sign the book signifying he has checked it and all is in order. I don't do that, but I do see where it could prevent some problems like this one.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 560497)
The rule states,

A team shall not:
Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time. (10-1-1)

It's not a T and not the coach's fault if the scorer doesn't write it in the book.

There is no case play that addresses it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 560497)
The rule is that its T, however, at that level of play if it can be fixed quickly and the coach is not whining or being a jerk then we're going to do it and keep playing.

BktBallRef is correct. refnrev is not.

refnrev Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:57pm

That might be why you see the post you quoted was quickly deleted when I reread it.:p