The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Eventful day (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50467-eventful-day.html)

zm1283 Sat Dec 20, 2008 06:58pm

Eventful day

Had three JVB games today. First game we had a player reach across the boundary line and contact the ball. Called the T but kicked it when I gave it to the team and not the player.

The next game A1 and B1 were going for a rebound and ended up on the floor. B's team had gotten the rebound and started up court when A1 kicked at B1 but didn't really contact him. If he did it was very minor. I felt like I couldn't let it go though so we went with the intentional personal. What do you guys think? It definitely wasn't flagrant.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 560165)
Had three JVB games today. First game we had a player reach across the boundary line and contact the ball. Called the T but kicked it when I gave it to the team and not the player.

One way to remember this is that if a single player accounts for the technical, the T is on him (he reached through and hit the ball). If the player contributed only 50% (or less) to the technical (second or third, etc. player to violate the boundary without hitting the ball) then the T is on the team.

Also remember that hitting the ball and getting the T also counts as a warning.

zm1283 Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 560170)
One way to remember this is that if a single player accounts for the technical, the T is on him (he reached through and hit the ball). If the player contributed only 50% (or less) to the technical (second or third, etc. player to violate the boundary without hitting the ball) then the T is on the team.

Also remember that hitting the ball and getting the T also counts as a warning.

Got it, thanks.

Yeah I had the scorer record the warning for delay because of the T.

Ch1town Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 560165)
The next game A1 and B1 were going for a rebound and ended up on the floor. B's team had gotten the rebound and started up court when A1 kicked at B1 but didn't really contact him. If he did it was very minor. I felt like I couldn't let it go though so we went with the intentional personal. What do you guys think? It definitely wasn't flagrant.

I don't think it fits the intentional "personal" foul category as there was no contact. By rule, once you put air in it, I believe the only two options you had were an unsporting technical foul (frustrasted player) or a flagrant technical foul (damn knucklehead).

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 560175)
I don't think it fits the "personal" foul category as there was no contact. By rule, once you put air in it, I believe the only two options you had were an unsporting technical foul (frustrasted player) or a flagrant technical foul (damn knucklehead).

If you think there was contact (even the slightest amount), an intentional personal might work here. If you're sure there wasn't, go with the T.

Personally, I like the T better on this.

zm1283 Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 560175)
I don't think it fits the "personal" foul category as there was no contact. By rule, once you put air in it, I believe the only two options you had were an unsporting technical foul (frustrasted player) or a flagrant technical foul (damn knucklehead).

Is unsporting technical the live ball T? Would that be the same if a player told another one to F-off during a live ball?

It wasn't a flagrant for sure. If it were, why would it be a flagrant technical and not a flagrant personal?

Ch1town Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 560179)
Is unsporting technical the live ball T? Would that be the same if a player told another one to F-off during a live ball?

It wasn't a flagrant for sure. If it were, why would it be a flagrant technical and not a flagrant personal?

Yes

Personal fouls involve contact & your post led me to believe that you were unsure. I think if we are unsure then it didn't happen, keeps us out of trouble.

zm1283 Sat Dec 20, 2008 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 560180)
Yes

Personal fouls involve contact & your post led me to believe that you were unsure. I think if we are unsure then it didn't happen, keeps us out of trouble.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.