The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

The Bizarro Stage

So I'm starting my 5th year this season. I'm steadily moving up. I got some strong points and I got the things I need to be working on. What I hear most from people is "I do a good job." So its all good I aim for competence, professionalism , and to have fun. I generally connect on 2 out of three.
Because of where I'm at in the pecking order my partners are people with a little more experience and generally more competent. Thats what I thought until last night. I mean last night was just bizarro world, and the nice thing was I had nothing to do with it being that way.
2 game tournament set. Girls varsity, the first round losers. You know the classic girls game. Hack fest,jump balls all night, no shooters well we had those games. SO calling the games was not a big deal but my partner got himself into so much trouble explaining things it was bizarre. Twice he went into the stands, yes into the stands to explain adv/disadvantage to some parents. First time I tried to corral him to no avail. Second time I stood in the area as he explained Adv/Dis to a distraught mom. Not good just not good.

His answering questions were lessons in futility. he couldn't let it go. The coaches will have moved on and he would revisit the calls. And on and on it went. He needed them to agree with his calls. Kinda strange...

He tried for a good solid minute to talk me out of a administrative T. Girl changed numbers ,wrong jersey or something but the bottom line not in the book. Coach barks at said girl and he's good. Partner not so good. I told him I wouldn't budge from this so lets shoot'em and go. We did but he wanted to have big postgame talk about game management. . We did but not about the admin T's.

We got about 6 seconds left in second game. Player A passes to Player B . Not a problem right, wrong, my partner gets tangled up with Player B and ball rolls out of bounds due to the tangle. He was talking to coach and took his eyes off the play. So my thinking is ball to the other team and lets kill this hack fest. 15 point game ,put the ball in play and we'll call it a night, of interesting stories. No such luck, he's gotta explain to the coach why he's going to basically have a do over....She tells him he's part of the floor. Yada, Yada, Yada. I was a bad partner I administered the throw in before he was completely finished with his thesis on right and wrong and finshed the game. He didn't even notice.....

Just some good ole tournament fun.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Wow! I am in my 3rd year and have come across about half dozen 20-30 yr veterans with some strange ideas. But not one like that.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Yikes.

That stinks.........
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Wow! Just, wow.

Tell me this guy isn't a veteran.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 01:50pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Wow! Just, wow.

I agree...if he is a vet, I hope his behavior is because of dementia or something. I can't imagine a vet behaving like this!
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
. Twice he went into the stands, yes into the stands to explain adv/disadvantage to some parents. First time I tried to corral him to no avail.

We got about 6 seconds left in second game. Player A passes to Player B . Not a problem right, wrong, my partner gets tangled up with Player B and ball rolls out of bounds due to the tangle. He was talking to coach and took his eyes off the play. .
Seems to me you need to let your assignor know about these two items, if nothing else. Absolutely inexcusable at the varsity level.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow! Just, wow.

This year is the beginning of his 7th. So does that qualify as a Vet ? His second doing Varsity...
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This year is the beginning of his 7th. So does that qualify as a Vet ? His second doing Varsity...
All right, I'll ask it: Seven years, or one year seven times?
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 06:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Vet enough to not have done this crap. I agree with the lady from Portland, the assigner needs to know about some of those things. You might want to start the call something like this,

"Yeah, Mr. Assigner, I was just wondering. You really don't want us going into the stands to explain calls to fans, right?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
That answer seems obvious.

If he wants everyone to agree with his calls, he needs to quit reffing basketball and choose golf; where the players turn themselves in for infractions.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 07:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

Quote:
Where the players turn themselves in for infractions.
Anybody remember when players used to raise their hand when called for a foul?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 07:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I remember doing it as a player. I believe they took it out in the mid 90's.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:06pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Happened to me just last weekend as a matter of fact in a B11/12 game. Hard. clean foul underneath. The young man helped the kid he hacked off the floor and put up his arm and said, "that one was mine." Polite kid. I just smiled to myself. Later in the game when I was talking to the table about it, the scorekeeper said - "yep, he's mine." Hadn't seen it in many yrs. Kinda cool - I liked it.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 09:40pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
I remember doing it as a player. I believe they took it out in the mid 90's.

Actually, my senior year in HS, it became voluntary to raise your hand. That was the 1974-75 season.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2008, 11:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Actually, my senior year in HS, it became voluntary to raise your hand. That was the 1974-75 season.
Interesting. I was under the impression when I played that it was mandatory.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
A little more background on the partner. He wasn't your normal 7 years of 1 years experience.

He wanted to do a pre-game.
He's recently lost weight and bought new uniforms.
We did cover some ground in the pre-game.
It did seem he wanted to improve but he would ask me questions on what I thought then proceed to tell me why my thinking was wrong.
It then turned into partner over managing me and all the things I did.

It was like I said bizarro.