The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

situation

I thought of this situation yesterday as something similar happened just without the fould out and its a pretty good possibility for occurance.

A1 drives and beats B1 to the basket. B1 slaps at the ball from behind and commits a foul and its called on the ground (1 and 1). A1 thinking he was in the act of shooting throws up his arms and yells "what" and then swats them down (like the you got to be kidding me jesture). A1 is assessed a T for unsportsman like behavior. The T is A1's 5th foul. Where do you go from here (without looking in the rule or case book first).

I know what i would do, but I figure this is a rather resonable situation that can occur.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ok without looking at any rule books.

Sub A1 for fouling out, and now that A6 has come into the game, give team B their technical freethrows, and finally give the ball to A6 for the 1 and 1?

it's it a long-shot, but i believe this might be it
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Foul was before the shot, not on the ground. I'm just picky like that.

This is not an overly difficult situation. A1 is disqualified. His substitute will shoot the free throw(s) with the lane cleared. Any player from team B will attempt two free throws for the T. B's ball at the division line.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
foul was before the shot, not on the ground. I'm just picky like that.

This is not an overly difficult situation. A1 is disqualified. His substitute will shoot the free throw(s) with the lane cleared. Any player from team b will attempt two free throws for the t. B's ball at the division line.
got it!
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRef5 View Post
Ok without looking at any rule books.

Sub A1 for fouling out, and now that A6 has come into the game, give team B their technical freethrows, and finally give the ball to A6 for the 1 and 1?

it's it a long-shot, but i believe this might be it
Nope. In NF, fouls are always administered in the order in which they occur.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Always in the order of occurance (with legal players)

Foul on B
T on A
A fouls out and is replaced

Shoot in that order with B getting ball at the division line.

That being said, ball slapped behind (sounds like not dribbling) should be two shots... action immediately preceding shot and all that....

One of my pet peeves is that the person picks up the ball on a drive and we call it before the shot. Player in a drive has two options: pass or shoot... If they did not pass they were shooting

For those who think this is NBA continuation... NBA and NFHS are closer than most NFHS officials will ever think to admit.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"That's a pass" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Always in the order of occurrence (with legal players).
Legal and/or eligible.

Also, when a player drives to the hoop, gets fouled during the move down the lane, the ball, because of the foul, pops out. I make an immediate subjective, experienced decision whether it was a pass, or a shot, and state "That's a pass", if I'm 100% sure that the player, seeing a defensive player in the lane, decided to pass, but was unable to complete the pass due to the foul. I'm probably wrong sometimes, but I want to make my decision, and communicate it to my partner, right away, not on the way to the table, to find a coach waiting for me, saying, "But he was in the act of shooting".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 21, 2008, 02:49pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
One of my pet peeves is that the person picks up the ball on a drive and we call it before the shot. Player in a drive has two options: pass or shoot... If they did not pass they were shooting

For those who think this is NBA continuation... NBA and NFHS are closer than most NFHS officials will ever think to admit.

Concur... SDF is key!

Actually isn't the wording "habitual motion" the same in all codes? Once a player gathers, they are essentially beginning the act of shooting unless they pass. I found that being more patient on the whistle during north/south plays to the bucket helps alot!