The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50449-technical-situation.html)

sj Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:22am

Technical situation

Had this one tonight. A1 is at the free throw line and is holding (no shooting motion had started) the ball for the first of two free throws. All of a sudden the horn blows and B6 sprints onto the floor. I didn't beckon him so we have a no-brainer technical. I blow my whistle, take care of the book, we clear the lane to shoot the first two and then the two for the technical. No problems but it's been bugging me that maybe A1 should have got to go ahead and shoot the first free throw. And then if he missed to re-shoot the first one again. All I can find is that the technical, and of course my whistle, both would make the ball dead. But what about A1 getting the 'free' free throw. Violations do this but I couldn't find anywhere where a technical like this would give him the right to shoot it. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 559977)
Had this one tonight. A1 is at the free throw line and is holding (no shooting motion had started) the ball for the first of two free throws. All of a sudden the horn blows and B6 sprints onto the floor. I didn't beckon him so we have a no-brainer technical. I blow my whistle, take care of the book, we clear the lane to shoot the first two and then the two for the technical. No problems but it's been bugging me that maybe A1 should have got to go ahead and shoot the first free throw. And then if he missed to re-shoot the first one again. All I can find is that the technical, and of course my whistle, both would make the ball dead. But what about A1 getting the 'free' free throw. Violations do this but I couldn't find anywhere where a technical like this would give him the right to shoot it. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

B6 did not commit a violation, the retry is strictly done on free throw violations. Blow it dead and let everyone settle in again.

Think of it this way, if instead of B6 running on, B4 had fouled A2 along the lane, you would have blown it dead. Same deal with a T.

Nevadaref Sat Dec 20, 2008 05:48am

Read 6-7 in the Rules book and Case book.

Read up on continuous motion.

If the shooting motion has begun and the opponent commits a foul continuous motion applys. The ball remains live and the thrower is permitted to finish the try for goal (FT included). However, if the attempt is unsuccessful there is no substitute throw.

If the shooting motion hasn't begun, which is what you stated, then the ball is dead immediately when the foul occurs whether the player was preparing to attempt a try for goal or a FT. It doesn't matter. The FT will be attempted after dealing with the foul call.

You did it 100% right. :) Nice work.

sj Sun Dec 21, 2008 02:10pm

Fortunately it didn't start to bug me until after the administration of the technical was over with. I can see that he shouldn't get to shoot but it seems like a similar situation as when there is a violation as he's allowed to go ahead and shoot with a violation but not with a technical foul. For some reason thought the rules makers distinguish a difference. Thanks.

Adam Sun Dec 21, 2008 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj (Post 560340)
Fortunately it didn't start to bug me until after the administration of the technical was over with. I can see that he shouldn't get to shoot but it seems like a similar situation as when there is a violation as he's allowed to go ahead and shoot with a violation but not with a technical foul. For some reason thought the rules makers distinguish a difference. Thanks.

Yep, the best way to disconcert the shooter is to foul one of his teammates. :)