The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Did i execute this situation correctly? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50445-did-i-execute-situation-correctly.html)

CaRef5 Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:26pm

Did i execute this situation correctly?

A1 has the ball at the top of the key

as he is setting up the play, A2 gets pushed by B2

team B has 8 team fouls.

We give A2 the one and one shot...

so heres my question was that the correct thing to do?

newera21 Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaRef5 (Post 559948)

team B has 8 team fouls.

Yes.

CaRef5 Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:38pm

thanks just checking ;)

JRutledge Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:49pm

Why did you think you were not correct?

Peace

CaRef5 Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:54pm

for some reason i thought that the team was supposed to take the ball out of bounds, because it was away from the ball and it was post play. But regardless, i know it has nothing to do with giving the player his one and one :)

oh and the push may have been considered "excessive" so if i were to call an intentional, would A2 shoot the one and one then the 2 freethrows plus the ball at the division line?

does this make sense?

thanks

shishstripes Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57pm

Intentional foul would just be 2 shots and the ball back nearest the location of the foul.

You wouldn't shoot if there was a player control foul or a team control foul (if teams were in bonus). Foul on defense shoot the bonus if the team is in the bonus.

JRutledge Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaRef5 (Post 559955)
for some reason i thought that the team was supposed to take the ball out of bounds, because it was away from the ball and it was post play. But regardless, i know it has nothing to do with giving the player his one and one :)

oh and the push may have been considered "excessive" so if i were to call an intentional, would A2 shoot the one and one then the 2 freethrows plus the ball at the division line?

does this make sense?

thanks

If you considered this an intentional foul, then it would be 2 shoots and the ball given to A2 (unless injured, then sub has to shoot). You would do the same if the foul was flagrant. Since none of that took place, this is just a foul that requires bonus FTs. You did the right thing.

Peace

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaRef5 (Post 559955)

does this make sense?

thanks

No. If the foul was deemed to be excessive, the penalty is 2 shots to the offended player, plus possession at the spot nearest the foul for a spot throw-in.

Cool twist: Imagine A1 was in the act of shooting what ends up being a successful shot, and B2 excessively fouls A2. Count the hoop for A1, give A2 two shots, and A gets the throw-in too!

CaRef5 Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 559958)
If you considered this an intentional foul, then it would be 2 shoots and the ball given to A2 (unless injured, then sub has to shoot). You would do the same if the foul was flagrant. Since none of that took place, this is just a foul that requires bonus FTs. You did the right thing.

Peace

so the bonus freethrows wont be taken? just the 2 shots for the intentional?

derwil Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:02am

Correct.

JugglingReferee Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaRef5 (Post 559961)

Correct. The foul is upgraded to be an intentional foul, and therefore carries the penalty for the intentional foul, but not both the "1+1" *and* 2 shots for the INT.

CaRef5 Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 559964)
Correct. The foul is upgraded to be an intentional foul, and therefore carries the penalty for the intentional foul, but not both the "1+1" *and* 2 shots for the INT.

:) thanks!

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:45am

Quote:

Just think of it this way; if there was a shooting foul after the bonus has been reached, would you shoot the one and one plus the two shots for the shooting foul?

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:59am

Quote:

An intentional foul is a different type of foul than a common foul. As such, it has a different penalty than a common foul. Under no circumstances does any single foul ever have multiple penalties that bestow any extra shots.

refnrev Sat Dec 20, 2008 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaRef5 (Post 559948)

team B has 8 team fouls.

CaRef5,
It always a good thing to check what you're not sure of, but it sounds ike you may be overthinking plays a little. You nailed it.