The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Proper Mechanics for Goaltending or Basket Interference (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50433-proper-mechanics-goaltending-basket-interference.html)

referee99 Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:15pm

Proper Mechanics for Goaltending or Basket Interference

I cannot find anywhere proper NFHS mechanics for Basket Interference or Goaltending.

Can I get some guidance?

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:49pm

• Basket Interference
    • Offensive : blow whistle, raise arm with an open palm for a violation, waive off the try and signal in B's direction, then the spot for the B throw-in. Make sure the table knows that there was no basket on the play.
    • Defensive : blow whistle, raise arm with an open palm for a violation, signal the "basket counts signal", then optionally points in B direction and the endline. Make sure the table knows that there was a basket on the play.
  • Goaltending
    • Offensive : blow whistle, raise arm with an open palm for a violation, waive off the try and signal in B's direction, then the spot for the B throw-in. Make sure the table knows that there was no basket on the play.
    • Defensive : blow whistle, raise arm with an open palm for a violation, signal the "basket counts signal", then optionally points in B direction and the endline. Make sure the table knows that there was a basket on the play.

referee99 Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:54pm

Excellent. Perfect. Thanks.

There is an 'Expert Village' video explaination... with raised fist, twirling finger .... you just don't want to know!

Adam Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 559730)
Excellent. Perfect. Thanks.

There is an 'Expert Village'

'nuff said.

Ch1town Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 559728)

Basket Interference

Defensive : blow whistle, raise arm with an open palm for a violation, signal the "basket counts signal", then optionally points in B direction and the endline. Make sure the table knows that there was a basket on the play.

Goaltending

Defensive : blow whistle, raise arm with an open palm for a violation, signal the "basket counts signal", then optionally points in B direction and the endline. Make sure the table knows that there was a basket on the play.

Good stuff! I'd just add that when the defense violates, we should indicate to the offense that they can run the baseline -errrr- endline.

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 559744)
Good stuff! I'd just add that when the defense violates, we should indicate to the offense that they can run the baseline -errrr- endline.

Good point. I thought about including that, but I would hope that the new T (old L) would do that, rather than the BI/GT calling official (T or C).

Ch1town Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:29pm

Makes sense as the call shouldn't be coming from under the goal :D

BillyMac Fri Dec 19, 2008 06:16pm

We're What You Call NOT Experts ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 559730)
'Expert Village' video.

Be careful with those Expert Village videos. I wasted part of an afternoon watching them a few days ago, waiting for the "expert" to use an open hand, instead of a fist, for a violation. He never did it. Lots of other mistakes, but this was my favorite. What a waste of time. But at least I am able to warn other Forum members.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 20, 2008 02:17am

The Expert Village just called. They want their idiot back. :D

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 02:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 559994)
The Expert Village just called. They want their idiot back. :D

No. They have plenty; we're a little low and won't get our next shipment until April.

dahoopref Sat Dec 20, 2008 04:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 559728)
[LIST]
[*]Goaltending
[*]Offensive
: blow whistle, raise arm with an open palm for a violation, waive off the try and signal in B's direction, then the spot for the B throw-in. Make sure the table knows that there was no basket on the play.

There is something called "Offensive Goaltending?":confused:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the offense could only commit "offensive basket interference."

just another ref Sat Dec 20, 2008 05:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 560016)
There is something called "Offensive Goaltending?":confused:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the offense could only commit "offensive basket interference."

Same restrictions on both teams. No touching a try on its downward flight. Offensive player may not guide a teammate's shot into the basket.

mbyron Sat Dec 20, 2008 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 560017)
Same restrictions on both teams. No touching a try on its downward flight. Offensive player may not guide a teammate's shot into the basket.

Disagree. Although the same restrictions apply, on the "alley-oop" I'm ruling it a pass, not a try. No "offensive goaltending" from me.

dahoopref Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 560017)

So you're saying that Lorenzo Charles' put back in of an airball shot at the NC State NCAA Championship in 1983 could have been called "offensive goaltending?"

Adam Sat Dec 20, 2008 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 560047)
So you're saying that Lorenzo Charles' put back in of an airball shot at the NC State NCAA Championship in 1983 could have been called "offensive goaltending?"

Could have, but the key is determining whether it was a try or not. Most will defer to the offense and consider it an alley oop on an airball putback.

On a free throw, that's not an option. You have one of two things:

1. Goal Tending on the free throw try.
2. The try is over before it hits the rim, thus a violation. This is the one case I think most of us will consider it a goal tend rather than a rebound.