The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fist (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50427-fist.html)

just another ref Fri Dec 19, 2008 04:05am

Fist

How many here have ever called a fist violation? I never have and have never seen the call. Tonight, BV, a couple of times on a throw-in I saw a player hold out his fist and let the ball gently strike it, to then be picked up by the thrower after stepping in bounds. I really don't think this is the situation they had in mind when they wrote this rule anyway, plus the score was about 30-12 at the time, so I made no call. I did tell the coach at the half that a fist was the same as a kick, so he might want to tell the kid to stop it. He thanked me and assured me that he would.

Scrapper1 Fri Dec 19, 2008 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 559611)
a couple of times on a throw-in I saw a player hold out his fist and let the ball gently strike it, to then be picked up by the thrower after stepping in bounds.

I agree with you -- this is not the situation where a violation should be called. In your shoes, I would not have called it either. I have called it exactly one time, and it was because the player took a full swing at the ball, trying to hit it out of a scrum.

I don't even see it anymore, to be honest. It just doesn't happen with the experienced players that I've encountered.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 08:15am

Would it be okay if the player tapped the ball back to his teammate with his foot?

Bad Zebra Fri Dec 19, 2008 08:16am

I had one two years ago. Local BV team in a Christmas tournament. The team's best player punched a loose ball upcourt to a team mate for a fast break. I hit my whistle immediately and sent it the other way. Crowd started grumbling. I walked to the coach and explained the call. He said no one had ever called them for it, as this player did it all the time (he thanked me!).

Side note...star player went on to a D1 scholarship. I'm guessing he doesn't punch the ball upcourt any more.

Zoochy Fri Dec 19, 2008 08:20am

I have seen it called 3 different times.
1) On a jump ball the girl punched the ball with her fist.
2) On a rebound attempt, the defensive player could not get both of his hands on the ball so he punched the ball with his fist towards center court.
3) Densive player trying to deny the pass, reached around the player he was guarding and punched the incoming pass.

mbyron Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 559611)
I did tell the coach at the half that a fist was the same as a kick, so he might want to tell the kid to stop it.

"I guess the foot's on the other hand now!" --Ted Striker

Scratch85 Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:17am

What signal do you use when calling a fist?

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 559633)
What signal do you use when calling a fist?

The violation signal. :D

M&M Guy Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 559619)
Would it be okay if the player tapped the ball back to his teammate with his foot?

While I understand the question (a violation is a violation, right?), I believe there was a wise person that once said it is a good idea to understand the reason behind the rules to have a better idea on how to call the game. In the case of the kick, the committee has stated in the past that basketball is a game to be played with the hands. Therefore, any intentional contact with the leg or foot is a violation. (After all, this isn't soccer.) In the case of the fist, it is a safety issue, where the concern is a closed fist could cause more injuries when players are in close proximity. In this particular play, safety of the players is not an issue, so even though it's a violation, it is something I probably won't see. :eek: (Did you notice the :eek:?)

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:59am

You better watch out. icallfouls will be along shortly to chastise you for your lack of proper rules enforcement. ;)

SWMOzebra Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 559630)
"I guess the foot's on the other hand now!" --Ted Striker

"Don't call me Shirley." --Dr. Rumack (Leslie Nielsen)

M&M Guy Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 559681)
You better watch out. icallfouls will be along shortly to chastise you for your lack of proper rules enforcement. ;)

I know. And I think it's good that he has that attitude - it's better to know the rules and call them "strictly" rather than the other extreme of simply guessing and making things up as you go along. But, as you and I know, there is an art to officiating that allows for some things to occur that are not written in the rules; when to call some things and when to pass.

My "art of officiating" is probably closer to Chuck Jones than Picasso, but I'm still learning.

mbyron Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 559687)
My "art of officiating" is probably closer to Chuck Jones than Picasso, but I'm still learning.

Chuck was great in his way. Interesting juxtaposition.

M&M Guy Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 559698)
Chuck was great in his way. Interesting juxtaposition.

I wondered if anyone would catch that.

My officiating has been described as "cartoon-like"... :D

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 559698)
Chuck was great in his way.

Yeah, but too bad that ol' Elics is gone. :D