The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another backcouirt question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50418-another-backcouirt-question.html)

RefTip Thu Dec 18, 2008 04:28pm

Another backcouirt question

:eek: Player A1 has ball in front court , player B1 slaps ball away , ensuing scrum leaves ball in player B1's posession (still in A's frontcourt ) , just after B1 has posession A2 deflects ball away from B1 to team A's backcourt. Player A3 retrieves ball from the backcourt and is called for backcourt violation.

A fellow parent told me of this and had " commented " to the official about posession and the official commented back that the ball was still in A's posession. I have talked with a fellow official and we have went back and forth,,,,,,,, unfortunately I think the answer is right in front of me and I'm not seeing it.

Thanks

ps At least I'm educating my fellow parents ........... they aren't commenting 3 SECONDS, 3 SECONDS.

Tip

mutantducky Thu Dec 18, 2008 04:31pm

I suppose the ref thought the ball had never gone to B and because A was the last to touch it in the frontcourt it was backcourt once A got the ball. If B did have possession which you write then no it should not have been backcourt.

fiasco Thu Dec 18, 2008 04:31pm

Who was the last to touch in the front court?

Who was the first to touch in the back court?

Did that team have team control when it was touched in the back court?

tjones1 Thu Dec 18, 2008 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefTip (Post 559474)
:eek: Player A1 has ball in front court , player B1 slaps ball away , ensuing scrum leaves ball in player B1's posession (still in A's frontcourt ) , just after B1 has posession A2 deflects ball away from B1 to team A's backcourt. Player A3 retrieves ball from the backcourt and is called for backcourt violation.

A fellow parent told me of this and had " commented " to the official about posession and the official commented back that the ball was still in A's posession. I have talked with a fellow official and we have went back and forth,,,,,,,, unfortunately I think the answer is right in front of me and I'm not seeing it.

Thanks

ps At least I'm educating my fellow parents ........... they aren't commenting 3 SECONDS, 3 SECONDS.

Tip

There it is...

Did A have team control?

No - no violation.

RefTip Thu Dec 18, 2008 05:15pm

Team A had control initially ( start of thread ) , prior to all of the deflections. The last deflection by A2 that ended up in the backcourt was a deflection (slapped the ball away from B1).

The official who called the violation also works college games ..... didn't know if there is a difference in the ruling.

Thanks for the help

Tip

Amesman Thu Dec 18, 2008 05:50pm

Whoa, RT. You first write that B retained possession. As noted above by others, if B gets possession, there's no b/c violation for A. But now if you're just saying it was pinball time, and only deflections all around, we have a different ballgame.

Juulie Downs Thu Dec 18, 2008 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 559525)
Whoa, RT. You first write that B retained possession. As noted above by others, if B gets possession, there's no b/c violation for A. But now if you're just saying it was pinball time, and only deflections all around, we have a different ballgame.

Right. Did B1 ever have player control? Holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds? Holding is probably the most likely, and the definition depends on the ref. But if the ball came to rest in the hand/s, in such a way that you'd call traveling if he shuffled his feet, that's player control, and thus B's team control.

Reftip, the word you used was possession. What did you mean by that?

RefTip Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:11pm

Just got back from a game and talked with the parent again . He said that player B retreived the ball and held the ball for about second or so then player A2 "slapped " it away. The ball then went from front court of A to back court .

Tip

tjones1 Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefTip (Post 559569)
Just got back from a game and talked with the parent again . He said that player B retreived the ball and held the ball for about second or so then player A2 "slapped " it away. The ball then went from front court of A to back court .

Tip

In that case, see post #2, #3, and #4. :)

Nevadaref Fri Dec 19, 2008 03:01am

BTW the NCAA rule on backcourt works the same as the NFHS rule.

There are wording and structure differences, but all plays have the same result.

Adam Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:11am

Looks to me like the parent thought B had gained possession, and the official disagreed.

More accurately, it looks like the official thought B had not gained possession, and the parent disagreed.

It happens.

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 559689)
Looks to me like the parent thought B had gained possession...

Impossible. This would mean a parent had some rules knowledge. ;)

Adam Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 559737)
Impossible. This would mean a parent had some rules knowledge. ;)

Ah, but this one has been talking to a referee. Enough knowledge to make them dangerous, to be sure.

Also, did this official respond during the game? That's a no-no. Did he respond to the parent during a dead ball? Also a no-no.

RefTip Fri Dec 19, 2008 01:53pm

He responded as he was running down the court.

Thanks all for the responses .............. I'll encourage the parent to keep it down. Last year I was able to convince two parents to get licensed and they are now in their first year.

Tip

Adam Fri Dec 19, 2008 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefTip (Post 559756)
He responded as he was running down the court.

A ref who does college games is responding to the crowd as he runs down the court?