The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

i'm having a lot of trouble recognizing a walk. does anyone have a few good tips on traveling?
thanks.
Stanley
Old Tue Feb 15, 2000, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

try florida, it's nice this time of year.
(sorry couldn't resist)
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

so your saying she would have to dribble at least once without picking up the ball, then hop and shoot. Makes Sense.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

just remember:

lifting of the pivot IS Legal.

it's when they place that lifted foot back to the floor (if they still have the ball, or start a dribble) that it becomes a travel.

master that thought, and you'll do better than 90% of the officials out there.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Pizzano,
You may be better than 90% of the officials on the traveling call, but you better not make that your 'best' call.
Learn the textbook definitions of what can and cannot be done, then officiate about 200 games, and forget what the fans say.

Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by pizanno on 02-16-2000 12:03 AM
just remember:

lifting of the pivot IS Legal.

it's when they place that lifted foot back to the floor (if they still have the ball, or start a dribble) that it becomes a travel.

master that thought, and you'll do better than 90% of the officials out there.

Lifting the pivot is a good thing to watch but I beleive you CAN NOT lift the pivot foot BEFORE starting your dibble! You can lift it to shoot or pass, but not dribble. The jump or hop steps are hard to follow for me at times with the faster players. I agree that the travel can be a difficult thing to call at times. Some plays just look awkward but might not be a travel. SITUATION: a youth league coach was calling for a travel on a girl who was "taking a step" forward before launching her three pointers. I know it is hard to describe, but can anyone shed any light on this?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I see girls do little bunny hops sometimes before shooting. this is a travel. on the girl taking a step, on all possible traveling if you are not sure don't call it. It does take time to completely understand traveling. wise men say one way to screw up a game is if it looks like traveling, call it. Jump stop-sometimes you can listen-player must land with both feet same time. then he can shoot or pass as if he just received the ball.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 11:01am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by Art N on 02-16-2000 09:22 AM
Lifting the pivot is a good thing to watch but I beleive you CAN NOT lift the pivot foot BEFORE starting your dibble! You can lift it to shoot or pass, but not dribble. The jump or hop steps are hard to follow for me at times with the faster players. I agree that the travel can be a difficult thing to call at times. Some plays just look awkward but might not be a travel. SITUATION: a youth league coach was calling for a travel on a girl who was "taking a step" forward before launching her three pointers. I know it is hard to describe, but can anyone shed any light on this?

Art,
Maybe these scenarios:

1.>A1 receives a pass with both feet planted and established a pivot foot (ie. she moves ONE FOOT) then she hops and lands on both feet and shoots a three. In this case she raised and put her pivot foot back on the floor BEFORE RELEASING THE BALL and it IS a travel.

2.>A1 receives a pass with both feet planted,
and without moving either foot, she then hops on both feet and shoots a three. In this case, she did not establish her pivot foot until she landed back on the floor after her hop, and it IS NOT a travel.
mick
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Mark is correct. There are video-tapes out there. The tapes have helped me.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I remember watching one from NFHS a couple of years ago that was pretty good. Showed the jump stop, pivot foot, and many of the other issues involved in traveling. I don't remember the name of the video.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mick on 02-16-2000 10:01 AM

Art,
Maybe these scenarios:

1.>A1 receives a pass with both feet planted and established a pivot foot (ie. she moves ONE FOOT) then she hops and lands on both feet and shoots a three. In this case she raised and put her pivot foot back on the floor BEFORE RELEASING THE BALL and it IS a travel.

2.>A1 receives a pass with both feet planted,
and without moving either foot, she then hops on both feet and shoots a three. In this case, she did not establish her pivot foot until she landed back on the floor after her hop, and it IS NOT a travel.
mick

On item 2, I would disagree and think that this would be a travel. Yes, she had not established a pivot foot since either could be, but you have to assume that one or the other IS a pivot. When she hopped and left the floor with both feet she cannot return to the floor without passing or shooting the ball. This is the same as lifting the pivot foot to shoot, or making a pass. I would make the travel call in this case.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good call, tugger!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 02:09pm
In Memoriam

Angry

quote:
Originally posted by tugger on 02-16-2000 11:41 AM
On item 2, I would disagree and think that this would be a travel. Yes, she had not established a pivot foot since either could be, but you have to assume that one or the other IS a pivot. When she hopped and left the floor with both feet she cannot return to the floor without passing or shooting the ball. This is the same as lifting the pivot foot to shoot, or making a pass. I would make the travel call in this case.

Tugger,
What you say makes sense. I was wrong... again. I shoulda known better. Thanks.
mick

Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ranger Bruce-

....fans? What fans?

Don't have a "best" call. Do you?

Just trying to help a fellow poster simplify a complicated rule...

Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

The key to recognizing "walking" is knowing the pivot foot and what it can and can not do.

A little technique in remembering which foot is the pivot foot is touch fore-finger and thumb together on your cooresponding hand.