The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

2 sets?

My partner and I get to our game location 45 minutes before tip off. Walk into the room to change and lo and behold, another set of officials. We talked about doing a 4 whistle crew, but we couldn't agree on who would stand where and how to rotate, so my partner and I got to leave. We go back next week to the same school.

Question, if anybody has had this happen, how should we be compensated for our travel and time? The AD said he'd take care of us, but i've had other officials say that we had a contract for x amount of dollars and that we should receive what the contract calls for.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this happen just a couple of times and have received whatever the contact amount was for.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

the funny thing is, is that I emailed the AD the day before and he responded and knew we were coming. He apparently had emailed the other refs a week before and forgot.

D'oh
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

The AD made you go there. Not your fault. You should get paid.The policy for our board here in connecticut is that if you show up at the site and you were not notified of a change, cancellation etc. then you get paid.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen for a playoff game. My crew and I drove from Houston to Dallas. As we were dressing, three guys showed up from Waco. For whatever reason they went with the crew from Waco which was fine by me bc they paid us full game fee plus portal to portal mileage for all three of us. Expensive game for the schools involved.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Look first to any agreed upon amount between your "association" (in the broadest sense of that word) and the school(s).

Next, look to the contract.

The "right" thing might be to have / force the school to pay the game fee. If the school doens't think that's fair, you might have to fight for it. You might win, but it will affect your future contracts. Only you can decide if it's worth it.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Where i work, we don't have an association. We contact or get contacted by AD's on our own to work games. So i don't have an association to help fight my battles. I'm not really too worried about it. The guy made a mistake. We'll get paid something. I just don't want to get 40 bucks between us. I turned down 2 other contracts because I thought I had this date filled.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Where i work, we don't have an association. We contact or get contacted by AD's on our own to work games. So i don't have an association to help fight my battles. I'm not really too worried about it. The guy made a mistake. We'll get paid something. I just don't want to get 40 bucks between us. I turned down 2 other contracts because I thought I had this date filled.
The AD owes you and your partner the full fee -- legally, morally and ethically. This is a no brainer.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Our state's contract provision #1: if either party fails to perform, it shall pay the other party the contract amount unless both agree to waive this payment.

That is, if they don't have you work, they still owe you a game fee.