The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violation on jump ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50331-violation-jump-ball.html)

Clark Kent Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:32am

Violation on jump ball

On the opening tip A1 jumps up and catches the jump ball. By so doing he/she gains possession but according to 9-3-7c he/she commits a violation.

So would the alternating possession be awarded to team B (because A secured the jump ball) and then a violation would also be called and B would basically start with the ball and get the next held ball or would team A get the alternating possession even though they gained possession, but by so doing caused a violation?

Any references to clarify would be great!

Thanks

just another ref Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:38am

6.4.1.D B gets the ball. A gets the arrow.

shishstripes Sun Dec 14, 2008 02:08am

Similar to starting the game off with a T, the throw-in establishes the AP, T on team A: Ball to B, arrow to A.

Somebody once explained it to me as there is no double jeopardy.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 14, 2008 04:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 557980)
On the opening tip A1 jumps up and catches the jump ball. By so doing he/she gains possession but according to 9-3-7c he/she commits a violation.

So would the alternating possession be awarded to team B (because A secured the jump ball) and then a violation would also be called and B would basically start with the ball and get the next held ball or would team A get the alternating possession even though they gained possession, but by so doing caused a violation?

Any references to clarify would be great!

Thanks

What you have inquired about was the old way. The rule was changed back in 2002-03.
You can see that there is now an exception for this specific situation in the player control rule 4-12-1.
So the jumper DOES NOT establish control by catching the ball. It is merely a violation, and the opponent is awarded a throw-in, but the violating team will get the arrow when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower from the opposing team.

Illini_Ref Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 557992)
the violating team will get the arrow when the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower from the opposing team.

Are you sure? I don't believe the arrow is set until the throw-in ends or the team taking the ball out violates.

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illini_Ref (Post 558937)
Are you sure? I don't believe the arrow is set until the throw-in ends or the team taking the ball out violates.

He's sure, read the rule he gave you.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 17, 2008 09:46am

Quote:

That is when the arrow gets REVERSED. In this situation we are concerned with when the arrow gets initially set. Two different things.

Scrapper1 Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:09am

Quote:

Are you sure?

He don't know Nevada very good, do he? :D

Adam Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 558953)
He don't know Nevada very good, do he? :D

Yeah, if there's one thing Nevada always is, it's "sure."

Chess Ref Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:18am

Quote:

LOL Oh he's sure.....:cool:

Spence Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:43am

On this play, does the clock start when its touched by someone or soemthing other than the jumper or does it start when the jumper touches it?

I can't find that in the rulebook.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 558969)
On this play, does the clock start when its touched by someone or soemthing other than the jumper or does it start when the jumper touches it?

When the jumper touches it.

M&M Guy Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 558969)

5-9-2.

Always listen to Bob. (11-1-1)

tjones1 Wed Dec 17, 2008 06:24pm

Quote:

BD

Think of it this way...

If on the throw-in the thrower stuck the ball through the plane and the defender grabbed it - a held ball is whistled. Since the throw-in had not ended and no violation occurred who would get the ball? You wouldn't send those two to the center to jump. Therefore, the arrow must be set when it's placed at the disposal of the thrower.

Spence Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 558987)
5-9-2.

Always listen to Bob. (11-1-1)

Thanks, gentlemen.

5-9-2 says "legally touched."

So, if a jumper gets whistled for hitting the ball on the way up would the clock not start. I ask because many timers seem to go on their own without waiting for the officials to start the clock. So, if this is not a legal touch and the timer started the clock, do I have him/her reset it?