The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Case 5.10.1 Sit B (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50330-case-5-10-1-sit-b.html)

Juulie Downs Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:42pm

Case 5.10.1 Sit B

Yikes!! Moral to the story: Don't Forget to Count!

But it also brings up a question. Okay, Team A inbounding with 12 seconds to go, A1 bounces the ball onto the court, A2 touches it to start the clock, but doesn't actually pick it up for 3 or 4 seconds. There's no team control yet, right? So the count doesn't start until they actually get hold of it? After 3 seconds, they could now stand in the bc til time runs out?

BillyMac Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:50pm

One Missippippi, Two Missippippi, Three Mississippi ...

5.10.1 SITUATION B: Team A leads by one point when they inbound the ball in
their backcourt with 12 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. A1's throw-in
pass is to A2 who dribbles in the backcourt until the horn sounds. The trail official does not make a 10-second call because he/she "lost the count." RULING: The game is over. The clock may not be reset as there are no rule provisions to do this. If the count was not accurate or was not made, it cannot be corrected. There is no provision for the correction of an error made in the official's accuracy in counting seconds

Skarecrow Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 557964)

But it also brings up a question. Okay, Team A inbounding with 12 seconds to go, A1 bounces the ball onto the court, A2 touches it to start the clock, but doesn't actually pick it up for 3 or 4 seconds. There's no team control yet, right? So the count doesn't start until they actually get hold of it? After 3 seconds, they could now stand in the bc til time runs out?

The second A1 touches it, I'm starting my count...he can stand there for the next 10 seconds, then hear my whistle....

just another ref Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:32am

Quote:

I see no reason why this would not be a legal play.

just another ref Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 557977)
The second A1 touches it, I'm starting my count.......

How can you justify this, if there is obviously no team control?

Nevadaref Sun Dec 14, 2008 04:11am

Quote:

The second A1 touches it, I'm starting my count...he can stand there for the next 10 seconds, then hear my whistle....

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 557981)
How can you justify this, if there is obviously no team control?

He can't. He's wrong. :(

mbyron Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:30am

Quote:

A1 has only 5 seconds... :rolleyes:

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 14, 2008 09:31am

As to your Qs

Quote:

Correct. Correct. Correct.

In this play: don't forget to not count! :)

bob jenkins Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 558005)
A1 has only 5 seconds... :rolleyes:

Why only 5 seconds?

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 558015)
Why only 5 seconds?

In the OP, A1 was the thrower-in.

Skarecrow mistakenly called A1 the inbounds player receiving the throw-in.