The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scoring Issue (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50288-scoring-issue.html)

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:36pm

The book says you can make the change if you have enough information. To me, in this case, the other sources are enough information. Would that always be the case? Probably not.

slow whistle Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557416)
Why, is there something magical about being named "scorer" that makes her somehow more competent than two other sources combined?

That was my thought and given her experience I just decided she was probably wrong. Don't get me wrong I am not going to go looking for a reason to overturn the official book in most cases. If she was sure she got it right, or if we had a play where we had waived off a score, etc, SOMETHING that would lead me to believe that the clock and visitors book could have it wrong I am going to go with the official book. In the absence of all that I just made the decision based on the totality of the evidence...

M&M Guy Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:40pm

Doesn't 2-11-11 spell it out? "The official scorer shall compare records with the visitor's scorer, and notify the referee if there is a discepancy. If the mistake cannot be found, the referee shall accept the record of the official scorebook, <B>unless he/she has knowledge which permits him/her to decide otherwise</B>." So, the official book could have a mistake, and given all the information available (new scorer, visitor's book info, player info, etc.), we can correct the official book. It's not written in stone.

fiasco Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557422)
The book says you can make the change if you have enough information. To me, in this case, the other sources are enough information. Would that always be the case? Probably not.

I understand and agree with that. But your last post pretty much threw the official scorer in the same category as coaches and fans in the stands.

fiasco Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 557429)
Doesn't 2-11-11 spell it out? "The official scorer shall compare records with the visitor's scorer, and notify the referee if there is a discepancy. If the mistake cannot be found, the referee shall accept the record of the official scorebook, <B>unless he/she has knowledge which permits him/her to decide otherwise</B>." So, the official book could have a mistake, and given all the information available (new scorer, visitor's book info, player info, etc.), we can correct the official book. It's not written in stone.

New scorer wasn't in the original post.

My point is that it's not a slam dunk to me that just because to other unofficial scorers had a different score, you automatically overrule the official book.

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 557435)
I understand and agree with that. But your last post pretty much threw the official scorer in the same category as coaches and fans in the stands.

Wasn't my intent. I merely meant to say that there's nothing that gives the scorer a pass on this just because they're the home book. My point is simply that the OP's partner was wrong when he said, "no matter what."

M&M Guy Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 557437)
New scorer wasn't in the original post.

My point is that it's not a slam dunk to me that just because to other unofficial scorers had a different score, you automatically overrule the official book.

I agree, but it's also not a slam-dunk that the official book is the final word, no matter what.

We have the ability to change the official book if we know why the difference exists.

fiasco Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 557443)
it's also not a slam-dunk that the official book is the final word, no matter what.

No argument here.

M&M Guy Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 557445)
No argument here.

Aw, crap, we agree. This kinder, gentler forum is getting on my nerves. :D

Adam Thu Dec 11, 2008 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 557447)
Aw, crap, we agree. This kinder, gentler forum is getting on my nerves. :D

Shut up.

M&M Guy Thu Dec 11, 2008 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 557457)
Shut up.

Ooh...I've got that warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

Or, maybe it's just indigestion.