The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional Foul Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50278-intentional-foul-situation.html)

joetip30 Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:37pm

Intentional Foul Situation

This is something I saw missed in a game the other night and I wanted to doublecheck!

A2 is on break and has uncontested layup. B3 comes in and undercuts him violently, U1 calls intentional foul. A2 makes the layup in spite of contact.

I believe the correct call is one free throw for the foul, then A has the ball on the baseline for a spot throw in nearsest the foul? Am I correct?

Also,

B3 fouls A1. A1 swears at B3 during dead ball situation. R gives A1 a technical foul and it is A1's fifth personal. Now you have a false double foul situation. But the shooter on the original foul has just been disqualified.

Does the incoming sub shoot A1's free throws?

Then B team gets 2 Tech ft's and ball at division line?

Thanks!

Nevadaref Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by joetip30 (Post 557192)
This is something I saw missed in a game the other night and I wanted to doublecheck!

A2 is on break and has uncontested layup. B3 comes in and undercuts him violently, U1 calls intentional foul. A2 makes the layup in spite of contact.

I believe the correct call is one free throw for the foul, then A has the ball on the baseline for a spot throw in nearsest the foul? Am I correct?

No, you are incorrect. The goal counts and the penalty for the intentional foul is TWO free throws plus the ball OOB at the nearest spot to the foul.

Quote:

Also,

B3 fouls A1. A1 swears at B3 during dead ball situation. R gives A1 a technical foul and it is A1's fifth personal. Now you have a false double foul situation. But the shooter on the original foul has just been disqualified.

Thanks!

Correct.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06pm

If B3 "undercut" A2, I think that the L/U1 could have easily charged B3 with a flagrant personal foul in this play. Same penalty as an intentional foul per the number of free throws awarded, who shoots the free throws, and where Team A receives the ball for the throw-in after the free throws, except that B3 is disqualified for the remainder of the game for committing a flagrant foul.

MTD, Sr.

JugglingReferee Thu Dec 11, 2008 07:38am

Quote:

Also,

Thanks!

The penalty for an intentional foul is 2 shots + throw-in nearest the foul, no matter what happened to the try if a legal try had been attempted.

As to the foul, if it is a "violent undercut", why was he allowed to remain in the game?

Also,

Yes.

mbyron Thu Dec 11, 2008 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 557197)
If B3 "undercut" A2, I think that the L/U1 could have easily charged B3 with a flagrant personal foul in this play.

I agree. Extremely dangerous play.

joetip30 Thu Dec 11, 2008 08:53pm

Good question. I was just observing so I don't know the reasoning.

Thanks for the help.

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:12am

Here's one for you newbies. A1 is shooting a three pointer. B1 fouls A1 intentionally and the intentional foul is called on the shot. The shot does not go in. How many free throws does A1 get, 2 or 3?

newera21 Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 557607)
Here's one for you newbies. A1 is shooting a three pointer. B1 fouls A1 intentionally and the intentional foul is called on the shot. The shot does not go in. How many free throws does A1 get, 2 or 3?

A1 gets three free throws with no players on the lane and play is resumed with a throw-in by Team A at the spot closest to the foul.

tjones1 Fri Dec 12, 2008 01:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by newera21 (Post 557611)
A1 gets three free throws with no players on the lane and play is resumed with a throw-in by Team A at the spot closest to the foul.

That is correct.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 12, 2008 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 557249)
I agree. Extremely dangerous play.

I concur on this....he would have been tossed!!!!

Ref_in_Alberta Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 557193)
No, you are incorrect. The goal counts and the penalty for the intentional foul is TWO free throws plus the ball OOB at the nearest spot to the foul.

FIBA rules... count the basket, ONE F.T. and the ball at the division line.

I agree though that a "violent undercut" should be an flagrent foul (Disqualifying Foul in FIBA terms)

Rufus Fri Dec 12, 2008 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 557613)
That is correct.

Would the rule reference be in the penalites for Rule 10, specifically penalty 5, which states:

Fouled in the act of shooting and try or tap is unsuccessful: two free throws on two-point try or tap, three free throws on three-point try or tap. Plus ball for throw-in if intentional or flagrant.

tjones1 Fri Dec 12, 2008 02:23pm

Yes, also 4.19.3 Situation A.