The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Help please

I stayed and watched the first quarter of a varsity game after my jv game last night. Glad I did.

Jump ball to start the game - Team A wins tip - tipping it towards Team B basket - Team A player makes a layup into the wrong basket. What I don't know is if the officials had the teams lined up right - I do know they warmed up at the correct ends of the floor.

These officials decided to start the game over and waive off the basket.

MHO was that the basket should count for Team B and Team A gets the ball OB going the correct way. I was unable to find it in rules or case book this am.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
I stayed and watched the first quarter of a varsity game after my jv game last night. Glad I did.

Jump ball to start the game - Team A wins tip - tipping it towards Team B basket - Team A player makes a layup into the wrong basket. What I don't know is if the officials had the teams lined up right - I do know they warmed up at the correct ends of the floor.

MHO was that the basket should count for Team B and Team A gets the ball OB going the correct way. I was unable to find it in rules or case book this am.
If the teams were "going the wrong way" then the basket shoudl count for A, and the teams should be pointed the correct direction and B givne a throw-in (at the "other" end of the floor).

If only A1 was going the wrong way, then your solution is correct.

In no event is the action actually take correct.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post

If lined up the right way, 2 points for Team B. [Throw-in for A]
If lined up the wrong way, then A scored in A's basket. [Then switch ends, but don't cancel the score.]
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

no DO Overs

as our moderators have correctly stated above are the solutions:
Remember that there are NO DO OVERS.
You can correct something that was wrong, but you can not do it over again!
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Anybody Know How To Play "Pitcher's Hand" Baseball ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
Remember that there are NO DO OVERS.
What do you mean, "No do overs"? We had do overs all the time. In baseball games on the sandlot, with rocks, and trees as bases. In basketball games on someone's driveway, with one basket. In hockey games on a backed up retaining pond, with rocks as the goal posts. In football in a cow pasture (watch what you're doing before you get into a three point stance) where you got to run downhill for two quarters. And you know what? We very seldom had fights. No adults. No officials. No uniforms. No coaches. Somehow we managed to figure out the rules, have lots of fun, get some fresh air, and exercise, develop our athletic skills, and get along with each other. Of course this happened forty-five years ago.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

The ones in need of help are those VARSITY officials!