The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Refuses To Come Out After Half Time (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50249-team-refuses-come-out-after-half-time.html)

Skarecrow Tue Dec 09, 2008 05:34pm

Team Refuses To Come Out After Half Time

Team A, 47, Team B 7...Half Time....Team B doesn't come out after the 3 minutes, and were apparently told at the 3 minute warning....Big discussion in our Board Meeting....What is the correct procedure? Team B had the arrow. Resumption of Play? Put the ball down and start counting? Technical foul? And when do we call the forfeit? Thanks for your help...

fiasco Tue Dec 09, 2008 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skarecrow (Post 556787)
Team A, 47, Team B 7...Half Time....Team B doesn't come out after the 3 minutes, and were apparently told at the 3 minute warning....Big discussion in our Board Meeting....What is the correct procedure? Team B had the arrow. Resumption of Play? Put the ball down and start counting? Technical foul? And when do we call the forfeit? Thanks for your help...

1. Tell game administration to get someone to the locker room and tell the team to hustle their little behinds onto the court NOW.

2. Assess a technical foul.

3. If there is no sign of the team after the T free throws are over, call the game and go home!

jdmara Tue Dec 09, 2008 05:50pm

10-1-5a

Confirm that someone told them at 3 minutes. Access a technical after one minute. Forfeit the game if they do not appear (I would wait another minute)

-Josh

(Edited: correct rule citation is 10-1-5a not 10-5a)

Ch1town Tue Dec 09, 2008 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 556792)
1. Tell game administration to get someone to the locker room and tell the team to hustle their little behinds onto the court NOW.

2. Assess a technical foul.

3. If there is no sign of the team after the T free throws are over, call the game and go home with a full game pay!

Fixed it for ya ;)

Nevadaref Tue Dec 09, 2008 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 556797)
10-5a

Confirm that someone told them at 3 minutes. Access a technical after one minute. Forfeit the game if they do not appear (I would wait another minute)

-Josh

Yes, do not forget that the team has one full minute AFTER play is supposed to begin before a team technical foul is warranted.

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 09, 2008 07:23pm

This came up in our board meeting as well.

The relevant rules:
  • Timer is responsible to notify the referee more than three minutes before each half is to start. NFHS 2-4-4, 2-12-1
  • Referee is responsible notify or cause the teams to be notified at least three minutes before each half is to start. NFHS 2-12-1
  • If a team delays more than one minute the start of either half, it is a team technical foul. NFHS 10-1-5-a
  • If the team simply refuses to play, the referee shall declare the game forfeit. 5-4-1

Points brought out:
  • Along with getting the arrow reversed at the half, identify who will notify the teams.
  • Return to the floor by the 3:00 mark, so if either team has not returned, somebody can be sent to get them.
  • Do all you can to prevent the T.
  • Obviously a forfeit is a last resort and should be declared only if one team actually refuses to play.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 10, 2008 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 556808)
[*]Obviously a forfeit is a last resort and should be declared only if one team actually refuses to play.[/list]

Personally, I don't think I'd "decalre" a forfeit. I'd suspend the game and leave, but let others (conference administration, for example) determine the outcome. It's entirely possible that there's more to the story that we don't know.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:26am

Bob:

BITS's last post of the evening last night was an excellent description of how this situatioin should be handled. As far as possibly suspending the game. Cannot happen. There is no rule support for it.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark t. Denucci, sr. (Post 557005)
bob:

Bits's last post of the evening last night was an excellent description of how this situatioin should be handled. As far as possibly suspending the game. Cannot happen. There is no rule support for it.

Mtd, sr.

5-4-3

Scrapper1 Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 557015)
5-4-3

To be honest, Bob, I think 5-4-1 is closer to what we're talking about. 5-4-3 talks about events beyond the control of the responsible administrative authorities. Refusing to play doesn't seem to be beyond the control of the coach or AD. Refusing to play is directly covered in 5-4-1, however, and it results in forfeit.

I kind of like the suspension idea, but I think the rules say that if they don't play, they lose.

TonyT Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:40pm

[QUOTE=Skarecrow;556787]Team A, 47, Team B 7...Half Time

Turn the lights off and GO HOME. This game is a waste of ELECTRICITY!!

Adam Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyT (Post 557033)
Turn the lights off and GO HOME. This game is a waste of ELECTRICITY!!

Tell that to the kids.

Skarecrow Wed Dec 10, 2008 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 556808)
This came up in our board meeting as well.

The relevant rules:
  • Timer is responsible to notify the referee more than three minutes before each half is to start. NFHS 2-4-4, 2-12-1
  • Referee is responsible notify or cause the teams to be notified at least three minutes before each half is to start. NFHS 2-12-1
  • If a team delays more than one minute the start of either half, it is a team technical foul. NFHS 10-1-5-a
  • If the team simply refuses to play, the referee shall declare the game forfeit. 5-4-1

Points brought out:
  • Along with getting the arrow reversed at the half, identify who will notify the teams.
  • Return to the floor by the 3:00 mark, so if either team has not returned, somebody can be sent to get them.
  • Do all you can to prevent the T.
  • Obviously a forfeit is a last resort and should be declared only if one team actually refuses to play.

Rule 7.5.1 indicates that we start with the ROP procedure when a team doesn't provide a thrower after a timeout or the intermission between any quarter (including the start of the 3rd quarter). It is a technical if that team continues to violate...Am I wrong?

Ch1town Wed Dec 10, 2008 03:48pm

I'm thinking 10-1-5(a) trumps 7-5-1

Notice the - for rules & . for case plays

cmckenna Wed Dec 10, 2008 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 556797)
Access a technical after one minute.

Do you need a key for this?:D