The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Question Why is "My partner quit" closed?

Why is the thread "My partner quit" closed? This is the first time I've ever seen a thread closed. How does it get closed and why? I don't really have a problem with it, I'm just curious b/c I've never seen it before. I saw the lock and had to look to see what it meant. Any ideas?

Chuck
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: Why is

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Why is the thread "My partner quit" closed? This is the first time I've ever seen a thread closed. How does it get closed and why? I don't really have a problem with it, I'm just curious b/c I've never seen it before. I saw the lock and had to look to see what it meant. Any ideas?

Chuck
I'm pretty sure Brad the administrator decided that the focus of the discussion and the direction it was heading wasn't on target with what this forum is supposed to be about. I have a question for you, Chuck, and anyone else who has been there and can give useful advice. I am going to a camp for the first time this weekend and would like some tips on what to expect and how to prepare. Other than the normal stuff such as call your area and listen to what the assignor is saying even if you disagree, what advice can you offer. Thanks.
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Why is

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I'm pretty sure Brad the administrator decided that the focus of the discussion and the direction it was heading wasn't on target with what this forum is supposed to be about.
Yeah, that's the thought I had, but we've had much farther-ranging discussions than that one and much more heated, and Brad has not stepped in like that before (other than to delete a particular offending post). Seems odd, that's all.

Quote:
Other than the normal stuff such as call your area and listen to what the assignor is saying even if you disagree, what advice can you offer.
I'd say that's pretty much it in a nutshell, to be honest. Ask questions when you're not on the floor. But mostly just listen to everything. You'll throw a lot of it out, but keep listening. Also, make sure that you have a tape of yourself to bring home and review later; bring a blank one with you, to be sure.

Chuck
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Brad may have not been around during the specific time of the previous discussions.

This one was turning into a racial debate which was not going to help anyone any more than they ever do since racial inequities of 50 years ago have nothing to do with today (since most people involved on both sides are now dead) or basketball officiating.
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 12:36pm
9 times

Quote:
I am going to a camp for the first time this weekend and would like some tips on what to expect and how to prepare. Other than the normal stuff such as call your area and listen to what the assignor is saying even if you disagree, what advice can you offer. Thanks.
Go with an open mind. I just finished working a camp last weekend (as an evaluator) and I find it terribly frustrating when you offer an observation or piece of advice and the camper will not take it or will not believe that he/she does what you point out. Remember that the evaluators are there to show you things that you do wrong or that could be done better.

Remeber to stretch and to drink lots of water (cramps are killers!) Watch games that others are working and see how different people do things. Talk with the other campers (especially those from out of your area)to get their perspective on things. Listen to the evaluators talk to other campers. Listen to what is being said to you and try to encorporate it into your game. Try the things that the evaluators tell you, even if you disagree with them...you might find that their way is better. If it doesn't work for you, don't use it anymore.

Experiment a little bit, try some new things and be willing to make some mistakes. Most of all, have fun!

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 01:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

I am going to a camp for the first time this weekend and would like some tips on what to expect and how to prepare. Other than the normal stuff such as call your area and listen to what the assignor is saying even if you disagree, what advice can you offer. Thanks.
devdog69,
Yes, listening is very large. Make no excuses in any way, shape, or form... unless they ask you directly regarding why you did something in a certain way.
Clinicians are basically interested in sharing their knowledge, not yours.
Be relaxed, straight profiled, and jog everywhere.
Be prepare to be humbled; that is why you are paying your (camp) dues. (We don't pay people to tell us how good we are.)
And, know that you will be a better official three days after you are back home and all the information finally set in.
mick
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 01:58pm
Esteemed Participant

One of the things I have picked up on is this - stand or sit by an evaluator as they are watching someone else work...the little nuggets you pick up there will be very helpful...also, ask questions - lots of questions...don't leave with any unanswered questions (unless they are about Ozzie and Harriet - keep those to yourself)...
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Tape is fabulous. Be sure to do as much taping as possible. Go over the tapes with an evaluator. Get as much evaluator time as ou can. If you feel you must question something the evaluator says, try this tack: "I'm not going to disagree with you here, but I'm not sure I understand what you just said. Do you mean I should turn more? Turn sooner? Keep my eye on the guard longer?" If you say, "I was trying to stay in position" or something, they might think you're arguing. Also, by the end of one camp I went to, I was feeling pretty prickly. So I told my last evaluator, "Look, I know I've got a lot to work on, but could you tell me one good thing first, and then the critique and then one good thing at the end? It'll be easier for me to keep hearing you if I can have those compliments to hang onto." This helped a lot. You might try taking a little dictation tape and using it while the evaluator is talking to you about your video. Then you've got them both to review later.

Also, if the evaluators do one "exhibition" where they work and you watch, videotape that and go over it later with them. You can learn A LOT that way.
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Maybe we can rename this thread "Camp Tips"?

All the advice is good, I'll add 1 thing: it will happen
that 1 evaluator will say 1 thing and another will say the
complete opposite. This might be because you don't
realize the 2 situations are different, or because of their
styles, or because one is plain wrong. In any case don't
say "But he told me to do it this way!" Think about what
each said & if you can't figure it out then go to the
camp director/big dog & ask him. And again, don't say
"John told me X and Jane told me Y". Just present the
situations and get his advice. This is nothing more than
common courtesy.
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Also, if the evaluators do one "exhibition" where they work and you watch, videotape that and go over it later with them. You can learn A LOT that way.
Wow, I've never seen this but it does seem like a good idea.
Old Wed May 29, 2002, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Stripes is one tough #$%%%$ evaluator!!!! I know from 1st hand experience. But the advice was greatly appreciated.
Also Stripes with your little quote, Do you work for a local bank or is it just a catchy phrase???? And we did have fun at the camp!!!!
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:00am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice

Also Stripes with your little quote, Do you work for a local bank or is it just a catchy phrase????
You can bet he doesn't work for an airline!
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 09:40am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice
Stripes is one tough #$%%%$ evaluator!!!! I know from 1st hand experience. But the advice was greatly appreciated.
Also Stripes with your little quote, Do you work for a local bank or is it just a catchy phrase???? And we did have fun at the camp!!!!
You're welcome for the advice, I don't know how good it is, but you got what I had to give.

About the tag line, it is simply an attitude. You don't have to do lots more to be better than everyone else. It just takes more effort.

It was good to see you again.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019