The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Timeout Sitch (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50212-timeout-sitch.html)

walter Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:38pm

Timeout Sitch

Two person crew. Tight varsity girls game late in the fourth. A1 guarded by B1 has the ball near her bench in the frontcourt. Trail is bench side but has his back to the bench looking at the play. Coach requests a timeout. At about the same time, ball is being knocked away by B1. Lead blows the whistle and grants the timeout saying, "Timeout white!" Trail calls Lead over and they huddle near half court for quite a while. Coach of team B walks out onto the court near the officials complaining that the ball was loose and gets the stop sign but does not leave the floor. Team A is gathering at their bench. The Trail who is the R on the game turns and says, "No timeout, alternating possession" and awards the ball to B and tells the team B coach to get back in the box. Coach of team A now goes nuts and insists that since the Lead granted the timeout, the officials can't take it back. He gets rather loud but without getting personal and the Trail bangs him :eek:. Team B shoots the free throws, takes the lead, and goes on to win.

I was observing. After the game they asked me whether they handled it right? I told them once the Lead granted the timeout, they can;t take it back. I also told them they screwed up a good game. What do you think?

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter (Post 556145)
I told them once the Lead granted the timeout, they can;t take it back. I also told them they screwed up a good game. What do you think?

Unfortunately, that's true. :(

They also messed up by using the AP arrow. Even if they decided that the ball had been knocked loose before the time-out, they should have resumed at the POI, which would be a throw-in for Team A since that team still had team control.

derwil Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:48pm

They kicked it

Too bad....sounded like a good game. Shoulda gave 'em the TO. Gone over to the other coach and talked with him on the way to his box. A discussion on this shouldn't last "a while"...two seconds tops.

mick Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:07pm

Quote:

I was observing. After the game they asked me whether they handled it right? I told them once the Lead granted the timeout, they can;t take it back. I also told them they screwed up a good game. What do you think?

Good advice to a point.
Telling them the obvious cost you some credibility, and from what I gather, was a bit out of character for you, Walter.

BillyMac Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:20pm

Back To The Future ???

Quote:

A1 guarded by B1 has the ball near her bench in the frontcourt. Trail is bench side but has his back to the bench looking at the play. Coach requests a timeout. At about the same time, ball is being knocked away by B1.

Yet another example of why we should go back to the old rule when only players on the court could request, and be granted a timeout.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 556153)
Yet another example of why we should go back to the old rule when only players on the court could request, and be granted a timeout.

I thought that it was yet another example of why 2-man officiating should go the way of the dinosaurs. ;)

just another ref Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 556154)
I thought that it was yet another example of why 2-man officiating should go the way of the dinosaurs. ;)

What does that have to do with it?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:28pm

Quote:

Two person crew. Tight varsity girls game late in the fourth. A1 guarded by B1 has the ball near her bench in the frontcourt. Trail is bench side but has his back to the bench looking at the play. Coach requests a timeout. At about the same time, ball is being knocked away by B1. Lead blows the whistle and grants the timeout saying, "Timeout white!" Trail calls Lead over and they huddle near half court for quite a while. Coach of team B walks out onto the court near the officials complaining that the ball was loose and gets the stop sign but does not leave the floor. Team A is gathering at their bench. The Trail who is the R on the game turns and says, "No timeout, alternating possession" and awards the ball to B and tells the team B coach to get back in the box. Coach of team A now goes nuts and insists that since the Lead granted the timeout, the officials can't take it back. He gets rather loud but without getting personal and the Trail bangs him :eek:. Team B shoots the free throws, takes the lead, and goes on to win.

Walter:

I realize that this is a "had to be there situation" but in extremely close plays such as this one, but either the TO request was made while A1 was still in control of the ball or it was made after A1 had lost control of the ball. These "extremely close" plays are why we are paid the big Buck(eye)s (Beat Texas!! :D).

Therefore if A-HC made his request for a TO before the B1 knocked the ball lose from A1's hands it does not matter if the T's whistle is after B1 knocks the ball loose because A-HC's request for a TO was made while the ball was still in control of A1.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 556158)
Walter:

I realize that this is a "had to be there situation" but in extremely close plays such as this one, but either the TO request was made while A1 was still in control of the ball or it was made after A1 had lost control of the ball. These "extremely close" plays are why we are paid the big Buck(eye)s (Beat Texas!! :D).

Therefore if A-HC made his request for a TO before the B1 knocked the ball lose from A1's hands it does not matter if the T's whistle is after B1 knocks the ball loose because A-HC's request for a TO was made while the ball was still in control of A1.

MTD, Sr.

It doesn't even matter if the request was made AFTER B1 knocked the ball loose. Once the Lead blows the whistle and grants the request, the application of the rules is the same.

PS "Buck(eye)s (Beat Texas!! :D)"
The BCS is a total sham. The #10 team gets an at-large bid over the #9 ranked team??? :confused: That's a joke.

refnrev Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:40pm

I also told them they screwed up a good game. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

I think this was a bad quote.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 556160)
It doesn't even matter if the request was made AFTER B1 knocked the ball loose. Once the Lead blows the whistle and grants the request, the application of the rules is the same.

PS "Buck(eye)s (Beat Texas!! :D)"
The BCS is a total sham. The #10 team gets an at-large bid over the #9 ranked team??? :confused: That's a joke.

NevadaREf:

I agree with you 100% that once the L put air in the whistle and grants the TO, Team A gets its TO. I was trying to address the issue of two things that happen almost instaneously.

MTD, Sr.

And as far as the BCS is concerned, NCAA Div. I-A needs a playoff.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:09am

Quote:

I also told them they screwed up a good game. What do you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 556196)
I think this was a bad quote.

Ok, it could have been a poor game, but they still screwed it up.
1. Misapply the rules.
2. Allow one coach to complain and get the decision in his favor.
3. When the other coach, who is correct about the rule, complains, he gets a T.

Sounds like an honest appraisal to me.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 556215)

And as far as the BCS is concerned, NCAA Div. I-A needs a playoff.

MTD, Sr.

Agreed. I know that both of us have watched many 1-AA postseason games. Nevada played at that level until the mid-90s. I even recall the year that YSU came out here and beat NV on their way to winning the championship. NV missed a 29 yard FG on the final play that would have won it.

I'm also an OSU fan, but BSU is more deserving in every way this year of the BCS bid. I believe that the higher ranked team has to get the nod. They are 12-0. What else could they have done?
The real unfairness is financial. OSU now gets about $10 M, while BSU will get around one. :( This continues to keep the little guy down and the big conference teams on top.

The only other team who can argue that they deserve to go and isn't is Texas Tech, and that is only because the BCS has a rule against three teams from the same conference making it and there are two super teams in their league, one of which they defeated!

mick Mon Dec 08, 2008 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 556218)
The real unfairness is financial. OSU now gets about $10 M, while BSU will get around one. :( This continues to keep the little guy down and the big conference teams on top.

Is that $10 Million for The Ohio State University after the total is shared with the rest of the Big 10-or-11?
Does Boise State have to share their "around one" (million) ?

Caesar's Ghost Mon Dec 08, 2008 09:27am

Even if you dont grant the time out, since the ball is dead and the clock is stopped the team could always request another one.