The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Headband or Hair Control Device? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50211-headband-hair-control-device.html)

refnrev Sun Dec 07, 2008 07:38pm

Headband or Hair Control Device?

Interested in your opinions. Girls HS V game. Home player is wearing a Reebok item on her head. It is about 3/8" thick, is black and has the word Reebok imprinted in white. It does go all the way around the head, however does not go on forehead, but from top of the head around and behind the pony tail. What do you classify this as? Head band? Hair conrol device? Partner who was R and I disagreed on the matter, but he was R so I shut up and listened. What say you?
PS. I still hate being the fashion police.:(

just another ref Sun Dec 07, 2008 07:59pm

3-5-3b: A headband is any item that goes around the entire head.

If it goes around the head, not just the hair, even though it does function as a hair control device, it still seems like a headband to me.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 556128)
Interested in your opinions. Girls HS V game. Home player is wearing a Reebok item on her head. It is about 3/8" thick, is black and has the word Reebok imprinted in white. It does go all the way around the head, however does not go on forehead, but from top of the head around and behind the pony tail. What do you classify this as? Head band? Hair conrol device? Partner who was R and I disagreed on the matter, but he was R so I shut up and listened. What say you?

This year that's a headband and must conform to the appropriate restrictions.

Indianaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:13pm

Quote:

It does go all the way around the head. What say you?

There is your answer.

zm1283 Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:23pm

Quote:

It's a headband and it has the Reebok logo on it. I think it has to come off because of the Reebok logo. If it were all black, the rest of the team would have to have black headbands on as well.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 556142)
It's a headband and it has the Reebok logo on it. I think it has to come off because of the Reebok logo. If it were all black, the rest of the team would have to have black headbands on as well.

Care to check the rules? :eek:

BillyMac Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:16pm

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' Fashion Police badges!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 556144)
Care to check the rules?

NFHS 3-6:
ART. 1 . One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school
logo/mascot is permitted on the wristbands, headband and compression shorts
(3-5-3, 3-5-6).
ART. 2 .The size shall be limited to 2¼ square inches and shall not exceed
2¼ inches in any dimension on any item.

mick Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 556152)
NFHS 3-6:
ART. 1 . One visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference or school
logo/mascot is permitted on the wristbands, headband and compression shorts
(3-5-3, 3-5-6).
ART. 2 .The size shall be limited to 2¼ square inches and shall not exceed 2¼ inches in any dimension on any item.

I had a girl remove her headband because the logo was too long.
She took it off and the logo was okay.
She put it on, and it was too long.
She took it off and it was okay.... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sp...smiley-034.gif

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 09:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 556155)
She took it off and it was okay.... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sp...smiley-034.gif

An amusing point, mick.
With the proliferation of stretchy material in sports apparel, there may well be a significant difference.

I would have to think that the size of the logo should be judged while the item is being worn and as it will appear during game action. The NFHS seems to be concerned with how things look on the court during play.

zm1283 Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 556144)
Care to check the rules? :eek:

No, I didn't care to check them before I posted that because I didn't have the book with me. Thanks for the help though.

NathanRT Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 556155)

I had something just like that happen, except it had the "Swoosh" with the words "NIKE" next to it and "Just Do it" around the band. We just had her flip it over so the white back was showing and left it at that. I have yet to have a girls game where we didn't have to explain and re-explain to the coaches what their players could and could not wear...it's just getting too confusing!

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 556167)
No, I didn't care to check them before I posted that because I didn't have the book with me. Thanks for the help though.

Perhaps I am in the minority on this, but I find it annoying when people make off-the-cuff remarks regarding the rules.
People come to this forum and ask questions because it has built a reputation as a source of good information. Therefore, providing a response that contains misinformation is more than just unhelpful to the poster who posed the original question, but also seems to undermine the utility of the forum.
Thus, I strongly prefer that when people answer questions that they take the time to ensure that what they are posting is right.

zm1283 Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 556176)
Perhaps I am in the minority on this, but I find it annoying when people make off-the-cuff remarks regarding the rules.
People come to this forum and ask questions because it has built a reputation as a source of good information. Therefore, providing a response that contains misinformation is more than just unhelpful to the poster who posed the original question, but also seems to undermine the utility of the forum.
Thus, I strongly prefer that when people answer questions that they take the time to ensure that what they are posting is right.

You are right, although I said "I think" in my first post because I wasn't sure. If I'm trying to answer a question about something other than a silly logo on a headband (As in something actually related to basketball), I always check the rule and/or case book before I post.

refnrev Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02pm

Lets add two more things to the equation, my friends:
1. Didn't anyone notice that I said it was a home player and the item was black?
2. What if a girl were to take a piece of pre-wrap and use it the same way. Clearly not a headband but what if goes from the top of the head and around behind the pony tail? Do you classify that as a headband, too.

Nevadaref Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 556182)
1. Didn't anyone notice that I said it was a home player and the item was black?
2. What if a girl were to take a piece of pre-wrap and use it the same way. Clearly not a headband but what if goes from the top of the head and around behind the pony tail? Do you classify that as a headband, too.

1. Yes, and it doesn't matter. Black is a legal color for a headband for either team.

2. Again, this season that's a headband.

COMMENTS ON THE 2008-09 RULES REVISIONS

HEADBANDS DEFINED AND COLORS ADDED (3-5-3): Any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team uniformity. The colors of black and beige were also added to the list of permissible colors a team may wear. This change makes the rule more consistent in application and enforcement. The additional colors will provide student-athletes with the same low-cost options previously available, while maintaining team uniformity.

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 4: A1 is using black pre-wrap around the entire head to keep his/her hair in place. In addition, A1 is wearing a black, moisture-absorbing headband above the pre-wrap, around the entire head. RULING: Illegal; only one headband is permitted to be worn. One of the headbands must be removed in order for A1 to participate. (3-5-3b)

NathanRT Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev (Post 556182)

1. Approved colors are black, white, beige OR similar to the color of the torso of the teams jersey. So, assuming everyone has black it's legal. (See 3-5-3a)

2. Yes! In Texas pre-wrap was specifically mentioned as one of the reasons the rule was changed and also the reason beige was added to the list of approved colors. (see 3-5-3b)

/edit...seems Nevadaref beat me to it!

refnrev Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:18pm

But in this case, everyone else had on white... the color of the home jersey... thus the problem in this case for a headband. My problem is that it is really hard for me to consider anything 3/8" wide as a headband, even if it does go all the way around the head. I know what the definition is and enforce the rules... I just wonder why we worry about it. As mentioned in the OP... I HATE being the fashion police on things like this. I have no problem with anything like jewelry or anything that can cause injury... but I really wonder why the NFHS worries about things like this.

Caesar's Ghost Mon Dec 08, 2008 09:29am

It seems like you are thinking of sweatbands. They are a subset of headbands and the broader category is what is covered by the rule.

jdmara Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:36pm

Do the headband restrictions apply to all contests or all varsity contests? I don't think I've seen the clarification.

-Josh

JRutledge Mon Dec 08, 2008 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 556375)
Do the headband restrictions apply to all contests or all varsity contests? I don't think I've seen the clarification.

-Josh

It is a rule. That means it applies to all levels.

That being said, just like many things at the lower level, you might not nitpick over many uniform rules in order to have kids play. I would check with the people in your area about that, but I know that often times we get warm-up uniforms and it is hard to be so picky about every aspect of ever so-called uniform violation. But this rule is easily to comply with and I really do not see why on some level it cannot be followed.

Peace

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:02pm

I'm with Rut on this. I enforce the headbands at all scholastic levels.

YMCA, I leave it alone.

AAU, it depends.

I look at it this way, if I'm going to enforce T-shirt colors, I'll enforce headband and wristband restrictions.

If I'm not going to enforce T-shirt colors, I'll leave the headbands and wristbands alone as well.

rockyroad Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 556179)
You are right, although I said "I think" in my first post because I wasn't sure. If I'm trying to answer a question about something other than a silly logo on a headband (As in something actually related to basketball), I always check the rule and/or case book before I post.

So because you don't "like" the rules about uniforms, it therefore is somehow beneath your dignity to look it up and make sure you have it correct?? Then why did you even reply to this thread in the first place? Good grief...

stosh Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:14pm

I am still a bit confused about whether pre-wrap or a 3/8" headband that goes from the top of the head and around the bottom of a ponytail really is going "around the head". I think one way to deal with it is to ask the player or coach "is that hair control or a headband?"

jdmara Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:15pm

Thanks for the clarification. Personally, I'm not too picky about it. One of my partners took it to the extreme the other night and enforced the headband because it was a different shade. I claimed color=blindness and said I couldn't tell the difference ;)

-Josh

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:17pm

Wow! different shade? I only deal in primary colors. :)

jdmara Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stosh (Post 556390)
I am still a bit confused about whether pre-wrap or a 3/8" headband that goes from the top of the head and around the bottom of a ponytail really is going "around the head". I think one way to deal with it is to ask the player or coach "is that hair control or a headband?"

I would consider anything that is larger than 1/2 to 1 inch (typical pony tail size), when worn, as hair control device. If it's sitting on the top of the head, it's a head band.

-Josh

jdmara Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556392)
Wow! different shade? I only deal in primary colors. :)

It's easy to claim color blindness when shades are involved. I am color blind when it comes to shades, I'm a male

-Josh

Adam Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 556395)
It's easy to claim color blindness when shades are involved. I am color blind when it comes to shades, I'm a male

-Josh

Yup. If I have a need for more detailed information, I'll have my wife to ask.

grunewar Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 556385)
I enforce the headbands at all scholastic levels.

YMCA, I leave it alone.

AAU, it depends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 556380)
It is a rule. That means it applies to all levels.

That being said, just like many things at the lower level, you might not nitpick over many uniform rules in order to have kids play. I would check with the people in your area about that, but I know that often times we get warm-up uniforms and it is hard to be so picky about every aspect of ever so-called uniform violation. But this rule is easily to comply with and I really do not see why on some level it cannot be followed.

Concur with Snaqs and JRut. But this is where I personally run into issues. At what level do you go 100% by the book (V) and at what level do you say it's ok not to be 100% by the book and use some discretion? Where does the gray area begin?

Example - Regarless of level the jewelry policy stands (none). Hair restraints (all). Blood or injury (all). At V level we do uniforms (white and black) below this (JV and below?) we do light and dark (by reg).

How about, you need to have the book filled out 10 min early (V and JV) At what level are we just fortunate to have a book to start the game and not assess a T (7th, 8th, MS)? Putting names in the book late or not having the starters marked (what level)? Illegal jersey logo as hand me downs (what grade level) - T?

It's similar to "loosening up your standards a bit" to ref a 11/12 yr old rec game (travelling) vs what you would call for a V game.

Discretion is sometimes tough across the board and it makes it harder on the next set of refs who may have a differnt standard. Hence why I asked my Association to give me definite guidance on uniforms from my post last week. Just my $.02

bob jenkins Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stosh (Post 556390)

I wouldn't ask the coach. The definition is clear. If it goes around the head (meaning any "diameter" passes through the skull), it's a headband. If it only goes around the hair (defines / forms a pony tail), then it's not.

stosh Mon Dec 08, 2008 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 556410)
I wouldn't ask the coach. The definition is clear. If it goes around the head (meaning any "diameter" passes through the skull), it's a headband. If it only goes around the hair (defines / forms a pony tail), then it's not.

Bob, I agree with you, but when I put it to my daughter she disagreed and here is why:

She wears a headband around the circumfrence of her head to absorb sweat. She wears prewrap from the top of her head and around her ponytail to keep her bangs out of her eyes. If she move the headband up, it will keep the bangs out of her eyes but it wont absorb the sweat. If she moves the prewrap down, it won't do either! She contends, and I tend to agree with her, that the prewrap is purely hair control. Luckily, I won't be the one making the decision at her games.

(Oh, and no, cutting her bangs is not an option!)

rockyroad Mon Dec 08, 2008 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 556406)
How about, you need to have the book filled out 10 min early (V and JV)

OK - I know this is changing the topic, but this is simply not true. I could care less if the book is filled out before 10 min., as long as both teams have supplied the scorer with their rosters and starters prior to the 10 min. mark...just a pet peeve. We now return you to the stimulating discussion of what constitutes going "around" the head.

just another ref Mon Dec 08, 2008 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stosh (Post 556416)
Bob, I agree with you, but when I put it to my daughter she disagreed and here is why:

She wears a headband around the circumfrence of her head to absorb sweat. She wears prewrap from the top of her head and around her ponytail to keep her bangs out of her eyes. If she move the headband up, it will keep the bangs out of her eyes but it wont absorb the sweat. If she moves the prewrap down, it won't do either! She contends, and I tend to agree with her, that the prewrap is purely hair control. Luckily, I won't be the one making the decision at her games.

No matter what else it does or doesn't do, if it goes around her head, it is a headband.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 08, 2008 04:05pm

Quote:

They are both headbands. One is also a sweatband. See Ceasers' Ghost post above.

The rule isn't "sweatbands can be any color".

And, I don't think the pre-wrap goes "around her ponytail." I think it goes "under" her ponytail.

BillyMac Mon Dec 08, 2008 08:03pm

Maybe They'll Fill In The Scorebook At Halftime ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 556425)
I could care less if the book is filled out before 10 minutes, as long as both teams have supplied the scorer with their rosters and starters prior to the 10 minute mark.

You're correct. You don't have to care if the scorebook is filled in before the ten minute mark. This is a common myth. The rules say so:

NFHS 10-1: A team shall not fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.

cdaref Tue Dec 09, 2008 02:45am

We talked about this tonite at a rules meeting. AGAIN. The commish urged us all to be consistent and to enforce the rules.

Frankly, I dont get it. This isnt hard. Its probably the easiest thing we can do. Its during warm ups while we are just standing there. No game action. The rules are clear. The new colors arent confusing. Headband vs. hair control device is simple. The uniform rules are really not that hard.

Why is there this huge contingent that doesnt want to enforce this stuff? I'll agree, I'd rather not have to worry about some of this stuff. But for goodness sake, know the rule and apply the rule. Consistently. Its just not that hard.

I mean, here we have the OP talking about black like you cant have a black headband when at home. Or someone being confused about prewrap when prewrap is specifically mentioned.

Maybe I am just dense. But this stuff is easy. Why can't we all just go out and get this right? At the varsity level at least, for goodness sake.

cdaref Tue Dec 09, 2008 02:48am

Quote:

Again, this is simple. Presuming it other wise meets size and logo restrictions not detailed here. Its clearly a headband. Going over the forehead is irrelevant. This is a no brainer.

I just dont get why really great officials who can discuss chapter and verse about the most obscure rules dont seem to even want to bother to learn or enforce the uniform rules. (not specifically directed at the original poster, just using this as an example and point of discussion).

PS--get ready for the sock rule next year :)

BillyMac Tue Dec 09, 2008 07:28am

As Easy As Pie ...

Headbands and wristbands:
Home: White, black, or beige.
Visitors: White, black, beige, or color of jersey.
Everyone on the team who wears such equipment must wear the same color.
No color restrictions on hair control devices, i.e. ponytail holders.

IREFU2 Tue Dec 09, 2008 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 556590)

Yup, easy as pie!!!!!!

Camron Rust Tue Dec 09, 2008 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 556590)

Even simpler...

Home or Visitor...White, black, beige, or color of jersey.

No need to distinguish Home/Visitor just because "color of jersey" is equivalent to "white" for the home team. Keep it simple.

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 09, 2008 05:41pm

I liked the previous rule. If anybody from the H team ever asked, the answer was always: You can wear either white, white, or white. :D

Nevadaref Tue Dec 09, 2008 07:49pm

Quote:

Ask your daughter to locate the crown of her head. ;)

3-5-3b. A headband is any item that goes around the entire head. If worn, only one
headband is permitted, it must be worn on the forehead/crown, it must be
nonabrasive and unadorned, and it must be a maximum of 2 inches.

BillyMac Tue Dec 09, 2008 09:37pm

Watch Me Pull A Rabbit Out Of My Hat ...

Hair-Control Devices and Headbands Clarified (11/16/06)
There have been numerous questions recently relating to the legality of certain hair-control devices. Players may wear rubber bands, scrunchies, pre wrap and narrow, multi-colored elastic bands to hold their hair back (3-5-3d). These items are not considered headbands (3-5-3a) and therefore do not fall under the new headband rule. These items do not have to be the same color
as the uniform or white, they can be of any color, they do not have to be a single color and they are not subject to the logo restrictions in 3-6.

Further, a ribbon worn in addition to a hair-control device is considered to be a head decoration, and is prohibited (3-5-3e). If a ribbon is being worn as a hair-control device, it would be permitted provided it is not judged to be dangerous or inappropriate by the referee (3-5-1).

(Please note date)