The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 26, 2000, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I am a Bahamian referee and I have been at it for about 4 years. I have oficaitd at the equivalent of a National High School Senior Boys Championship in the quater fnals for about two years. I have also officaited the bronze medal games (men and woman) at our mini-Olympics (The Bahamas Games). I have done some AAU in Orlando (Junior Girls), while attending a camp in Daytona. I plan to soon go to school either in Florida, Missouri, or north Carolina. Can someone tell me how to get to my goal of beng an NBA ref?
Old Sat Feb 26, 2000, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
This is my philosophy on getting to the officiating level that you desire. I'm no "NBA ref", but I believe I have a good idea of how to progress in this business.

First, be prepared to work any level to get noticed. Work that level to learn/polish mechanics, build a professional reputation, and really find out where you want to be in officiating. Next, find a mentor that is at a higher level than you. Listen to this individual, learn from them and "use" them to get to the next level. What I mean by "use" is to impress them so much that they want to take care of you by insuring that you go to camps, know the rules and putting in that oh-so-important good word to their boss/supervisor. Lastly, hustle, hustle, hustle. Treat every game as if it is the NBA Finals. It may not be a big deal to you, but to those kids, it is the world.

Good luck as you move up. When you stop having a blast every game, get out.

Dave

Old Sun Feb 27, 2000, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

WILL SOMEONE BE MY MENTOR????

------------------