The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Help Me Clean This one Up !

We kicked it and then I'm thinking we kicked the clean up part also.

Girls Varsity. We're going to the line for a routine shooting foul. Player shoots the first one, then coach requests a time out. Players come out of the time out and as I'm getting ready to administer I have a brain fart and can't remember if she is shooting 1 or 2 shoots now. So I ask partner and he tells me 2....So free throw is shot hits the rim and goes straight up. At this point players start trying to rebound and I tweet,thinking we have one more to shoot. So my whistle was pretty quick and no one had possesion of the rebound and the play was now killed and it turns out she had her 2 free throws already.

So we went to the AP arrow since no one had possesion of the rebound..

Was that correct ?

Can someone take the time to explain to me what would we have done if I hadn't quick whistled and someone had rebounded the ball ?
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post

Girls Varsity. We're going to the line for a routine shooting foul. Player shoots the first one, then coach requests a time out. Players come out of the time out and as I'm getting ready to administer I have a brain fart and can't remember if she is shooting 1 or 2 shoots now. So I ask partner and he tells me 2....So free throw is shot hits the rim and goes straight up. At this point players start trying to rebound and I tweet,thinking we have one more to shoot. So my whistle was pretty quick and no one had possesion of the rebound and the play was now killed and it turns out she had her 2 free throws already.

Was that correct ?

Can someone take the time to explain to me what would we have done if I hadn't quick whistled and someone had rebounded the ball ?
All I know is if it was a tech it would be two shoots and the ball at half court.

Last edited by fullor30; Sat Dec 06, 2008 at 01:03pm.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Basically, you have an inadvertent whistle. When you have an IW, you go POI. POI with no possession or throwin or free throw pending results in AP. You did it right.

POI with possession (assuming you whistled after the rebound was collected) would be to give the ball back to the team who got it.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Ce??

any one thought that this may be a correctable error, awarding unmerited free throw. now whatta ya do.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 08:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
any one thought that this may be a correctable error, awarding unmerited free throw. now whatta ya do.
Exactly what was done.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
No. the FT shot was teh second FT, so ther was no error to correct. Had the next FT been shot, then that would be a potential correctable error.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

.... and step #4) write a GIANT NOTE into your game journal: ALWAYS verbally review with your partner BEFORE THE TIME OUT STARTS what's going to happen after the TO. ALWAYS.
Old Sat Dec 06, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Always listen to Juulie.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

When all else fails, read the Case Book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post

Was that correct ?

OFFICIALS PROVIDE ERRONEOUS INFORMATION
8.6.1 SITUATION:
A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw
situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that
two shots will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed shot is
rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another
throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw;
or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound.
The officials recognize their error at this point.
RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's
error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and
didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be whistled dead immediately and
resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an
attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to
gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3)

Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 06:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
.... and step #4) write a GIANT NOTE into your game journal: ALWAYS verbally review with your partner BEFORE THE TIME OUT STARTS what's going to happen after the TO. ALWAYS.

Juulie:

I really think you need to do a better job of getting your point across and emphasizing the important things that need to be done by the game officials during a timeout, .

MTD, Sr.

P.S. You need to apologize to the late J. Dallas Shirley for you use of the word "always," .
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Dec 07, 2008 at 06:33pm. Reason: Add Post Script.
Old Sun Dec 07, 2008, 07:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Timeout Mechanics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Agree. This is part of my pregame, especially when I work with a partner for the first time:

Timeout Mechanics
When the ball is dead, we must be alive. Team calling timeout must have player dribbling or holding the ball. Both officials must know the game situation when play resumes following a timeout (team, direction, spot or run baseline, shooter, number of shots). One official at spot of throwin or free throw line with ball facing direction in which it will be put into play. Other official at division line, quarter for 30 second and three quarters for 60 second.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)