The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Advice

Hey Guys/Gals

I just wanted some advice on how you guys go about getting your contracts/building a repoir with a coach. I know a lot of it will come through your own association that you belong to but what for those of you that have private contracts to fullfil what did you do to get them? I know my personal association does not cover all sports, so a lot of it is getting your own contracts, specifically softball. I personally know all of the coaches in the surrounding area from umping them as well as growing up here. I have a good relationship with them and have talked to them many times outside of a "game setting". So any advice you guys have on getting those contracts from places outside your city that are still somewhat close to where you are would be appreciated.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 07:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

You are really going to have to talk to officials in your area about this. I am sure you have tried, but you might have to try harder. There are so many situations that most here would not if is acceptable or not. All I can tell you is call schools or write them and if that is how you get games. All you can do is let them know you are alive and let them decide what they might give you. Other than that, there are things that might not be acceptable to say or acceptable to do. I would really love to help you out the best way I can, but this is so specific to your area, it is possible there are many things we would not know.

It might help if you give some information about where you are and what state you are from. Someone might be more familiar with your situation. Until then most information might take you in another direction you do not want or need to go.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

While I was officiating basketball in Indiana, I went to the schools with a contact information sheet, met with some of the coaches and told them if they needed anyone for scrimages or as a last minute replacement, gimmie a call. A week later a ref left one of the coaches hanging and he called me up asked if I could be there in 5 minutes. I made it in 8 and took some ribbing from the crowd but saved the coaches behind. After the game, he gave me the remaining contracts for the guy I replaced.

A couple times like that and you'll have a full schedule and a rep to build on.
Old Mon Dec 01, 2008, 11:50pm
Administrator

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are really going to have to talk to officials in your area about this. I am sure you have tried, but you might have to try harder. There are so many situations that most here would not if is acceptable or not. All I can tell you is call schools or write them and if that is how you get games. All you can do is let them know you are alive and let them decide what they might give you. Other than that, there are things that might not be acceptable to say or acceptable to do. I would really love to help you out the best way I can, but this is so specific to your area, it is possible there are many things we would not know.

It might help if you give some information about where you are and what state you are from. Someone might be more familiar with your situation. Until then most information might take you in another direction you do not want or need to go.

Peace

Rut:

Over 12,000 posts!!! You need to get a life.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 12:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Rut:

Over 12,000 posts!!! You need to get a life.

MTD, Sr.
Are you suggesting the Jurassic one got a life now? He has almost 5,000 more posts than I do right now. And he has been gone a month.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:42am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are you suggesting the Jurassic one got a life now? He has almost 5,000 more posts than I do right now. And he has been gone a month.

Peace

Maybe you should take up officiating swimming and diving to fill the free time you have.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 02:58am
Do not give a damn!!

I can work in the Fall and Spring more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Maybe you should take up officiating swimming and diving to fill the free time you have.

MTD, Sr.
No, I will take up volleyball.

Peace