The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

2007/08 Rule Changes

I'm prepping my pregame for my first high school game of the season this coming Friday. During pregame, I like to discuss as a reminder what the rule changes were for the previous couple of seasons. I have the changes for 06/07 and this years changes, but I can't find, either here or elsewhere, what the changes for last season (07/08) were and I don't believe I kept my rule books from last year (they got tossed during the packing/moving process a few months ago). Can somebody help me out and tell me what the 07/08 rules changes were?
Thanks.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
2007-08 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES:
2-12-4; 5-11-2: Changing the warning horn for a 30-second time-out to be sounded with 15 seconds remaining.
2-12-5: Changing the replacement interval for a disqualified player to 20 seconds, with a warning horn sounded with 15 seconds remaining.
4-15-4d; 9-5-2: Changing that a dribble ends when loss of control by the dribbler is caused by the opponent touching, or being touched by, the ball, rather than an intentional batting of the ball.
4-42-5: Changing that a throw-in ends when the throw-in pass is "legally" touched by another player.

Signal Chart: Adding a signal (spreading of the arms) for when a defender is not in a closely-guarding position.

2007-08 MAJOR EDITORIAL CHANGES:
3-4-6b New: Implementation date reached requiring the home team to wear white jerseys. The note will be removed and a new sub-article will be added stating this requirement.
3-5-2 & New d: Adding that guards, casts, braces and compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.
3-5-3d: Clarifying that hard items worn on the head, such as barrettes and bobby pins, are prohibited.
4-40-2d: Adding to the definition of a legal screen that the screener must stay within his/her vertical plane with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.
7-5-2 thru 7-5-11: Articles will be reordered for better understanding and application.
10-3-3: Clarifying that a technical foul shall be called when a player purposely and/or deceitfully delays his/her return to the court after legally being out of bounds.
10-6: Section will be reorganized for better understanding and application.
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 10:55am
Ch1town

Rule Changes 2007-2008

Warning horn on 30 second time-outs will be sounded at the 15 second mark

Replacement interval for a disqualified player will now be 20 seconds, with the warning horn sounded at the 15 second mark

A dribble ends when loss of control is caused by opponent touching/being touched by the ball. Intentional or not is not a factor

A throw-in ends when: throw-in pass is legally touched by another player inbounds or out of bounds.

New signal (spreading of the arms) for when a defender is not in closely-guarding position

The home team will wear white jerseys

Legal screening position is within his/her vertical plane with a stance shoulder with apart

Purposely delaying returning to the court is a technical foul as opposed to leaving court for an unauthorized reason (violation)
Old Tue Dec 02, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

perfect. thanks guys.