The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   To Toss or not to Toss? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50046-toss-not-toss.html)

walter Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:28am

To Toss or not to Toss?

In a couple of my college games (4 out of 5) this year, I have had the referee on the crew designate me (U2) as the official to toss the ball while they handled everything else the referee is supposed to handle. While I had no problem doing this, I was just wondering whether anybody else has either been designated to toss or designated another member of their crew toss?

fullor30 Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:35am

I've been thinking about it as I'm not confident in my tosses. I'm OK, but keep changing my technique. I almost did it last night as I was the R. Trying to put it up immediately with out a pause so jumpers don't time me and hit it on way up.

Ch1town Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:42am

Not to change the subject, but when the R designates another official to throw the jump ball does the thrower or the R administer the new quarter?

M&M Guy Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 553401)
Not to change the subject, but when the R designates another official to throw the jump ball does the thrower or the R administer the new quarter?

Yep.

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 553403)
Yep.

Yep to two questions? Wow, nice generic answer! :p

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter (Post 553396)
In a couple of my college games (4 out of 5) this year, I have had the referee on the crew designate me (U2) as the official to toss the ball while they handled everything else the referee is supposed to handle. While I had no problem doing this, I was just wondering whether anybody else has either been designated to toss or designated another member of their crew toss?

At first, I thought we were talking about ejections when I saw the topic. Then I saw it was about the opening jump...sigh...I was hoping it was about salad! :-p

TravelinMan Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:53am

CH1Town -

Good question. I would say the R would continue with his responsibilities. The thrower took initial toss because (1) R designated him to and (2) R felt thrower tossed the ball better. However, I would also think that if the R designated thrower to continue throwin responsibilities for start of each quarter in order to appear consistent this would be allowed. Not aware of any rule that specifically allows/denies.

Ch1town Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:53am

Ummmmm thanks M&M (I think) :confused:

TravelinMan Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:58am

Decision is up to R.

M&M Guy Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 553411)
Ummmmm thanks M&M (I think) :confused:

Oops, sorry - that's what I get for trying to be too quick. I speed-read right over one of the questions...

The R can designate another official to do the opening toss, but the R still maintains all other responsibilities, such as checking the book, speaking with the captains and coaches, administering the throw-ins to start the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, etc.

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter (Post 553396)
I was just wondering whether anybody else has either been designated to toss?

Yep, I was. Biggest game of my career to that point. (Actually, to this point, now that I think about it.) I was as nervous as I'd ever been at a game. The R took care of everything pre-game. We go to the table, shake hands with the coaches, then right before the intros and Anthem, he says, oh so casually, "And, Scrapper, you toss it up." :eek:

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 553423)
the R still maintains all other responsibilities, such as checking the book, speaking with the captains and coaches, administering the throw-ins to start the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, etc.

But whoever tosses to start the game will also toss for any overtime period(s).

M&M Guy Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 553433)

Sorry, I was thinking this was one of Padgett's games.

For all the rest of us, Scrapper's advice is correct.

Ch1town Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 553433)

Overtime period, what's that all about?? :D

M&M - thanks ;)

stripes Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:35am

About 6-7 years ago, I was almost knocked out by one of the jumpers during the jump ball; I got hit by his elbow in the back of the head.

Honestly, I was nervous to toss the ball again so I made one of the U's toss the ball for the rest of the season, including HS games. I finally got the nerve to do it again. I tossed the ball last night and I thought about it. I have never forgotten it.