The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   To Toss or not to Toss? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50046-toss-not-toss.html)

TravelinMan Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:00pm

Question - Officials manual states on p20 - "Starting a period - the throw-in to start the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters AND ANY EXTRA PERIOD shall be administered by the R at the division line opposite the table". Shouldn't this be Toss for extra period? Are they referring to the situation where the extra period is starting as a result of a technical foul in which case after T you would administer at the D line opposite table.

tjones1 Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by walter (Post 553396)
While I had no problem doing this, I was just wondering whether anybody else has either been designated to toss or designated another member of their crew toss?

I was the referee last night. I designated U1 to toss. But, I told him if we had overtime that he obviously done something wrong and I would toss. :D

Mark Padgett Wed Nov 26, 2008 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 553470)
I was the referee last night. I designated U1 to toss. But, I told him if we had overtime that he obviously done something wrong and I would kill him. :D

Fixed it for ya'.

tjones1 Wed Nov 26, 2008 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 553474)
Fixed it for ya'.

Thanks, Mark. Certainly gave me a good laugh. Happy Thanksgiving!

LSams Wed Nov 26, 2008 02:47pm

There might be another reason to do this.

For example: You're the R on a crew and you've got an inexperienced U2 (first college game, first varsity game, whatever) and you can tell they are noticeably nervous about the game. By asking them to handle the opening toss, you are providing them a way to get involved in the game before the first second tips off the clock -- that way they are engaged with the action, and won't be tentative if they've got to make a big call out of the gate.

Just a thought.

BillyMac Wed Nov 26, 2008 09:45pm

Don't Toss Your Cookies ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 553433)
But whoever tosses to start the game will also toss for any overtime period(s).

Is this true for NFHS? Citation please.

BillyMac Wed Nov 26, 2008 09:47pm

Can't Toss With Them, Can't Toss Without Them ...

I know of at least one offcial on our local board who doesn't like to toss, and I know another who always like to toss.

Nevadaref Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 553596)

From the inside cover of the 2007-09 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual:

2.2.1B, 3.2.1B The referee may designate the official to administer the jump ball to start the game or overtime.

btaylor64 Thu Nov 27, 2008 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSams (Post 553526)
There might be another reason to do this.

For example: You're the R on a crew and you've got an inexperienced U2 (first college game, first varsity game, whatever) and you can tell they are noticeably nervous about the game. By asking them to handle the opening toss, you are providing them a way to get involved in the game before the first second tips off the clock -- that way they are engaged with the action, and won't be tentative if they've got to make a big call out of the gate.

Just a thought.

That's a good thought but what happens when the rook yanks the toss and we have to call it back. We want the best tosser tossing. Not saying that this is the case all the time but I work with about 5 or 6 guys that are 6'6" plus and I think these guys are usually going to be your best tosser due to the fact that the ball is already so high up to begin with. That's not to say that I would toss even if the tall guy was a rook who looked nervous.

We have to remember that our toss along with our first several calls or no calls set the tone for the game and we def. Want to get the game started right with a fair and legal toss. Happy Thanksgiving.

Rich Thu Nov 27, 2008 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64 (Post 553628)
That's a good thought but what happens when the rook yanks the toss and we have to call it back. We want the best tosser tossing. Not saying that this is the case all the time but I work with about 5 or 6 guys that are 6'6" plus and I think these guys are usually going to be your best tosser due to the fact that the ball is already so high up to begin with. That's not to say that I would toss even if the tall guy was a rook who looked nervous.

We have to remember that our toss along with our first several calls or no calls set the tone for the game and we def. Want to get the game started right with a fair and legal toss. Happy Thanksgiving.

Not to be disagreeable, but I think this is a myth propagated by some big name people at clinics and camps. I think the toss has just about zero importance in today's game with the AP procedure. It puts the ball in play. It's not been eliminated because there's no better way to start the game.

I won't call one back unless I'm laughing too hard to not call it back.

Last night I was working a boys scrimmage. I'm about 5'9" and the two guys jumping were about 6'6" each. I toss one handed, pushed up from my palm. I just knew the guys were going to try to "steal" the jump, so I went to toss it and put a little hitch on and both jumpers jumped early and looked really silly doing it. All their teammates were laughing at them. THEN I threw it up.

26 Year Gap Thu Nov 27, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 553423)
Oops, sorry - that's what I get for trying to be too quick. I speed-read right over one of the questions...

The R can designate another official to do the opening toss, but the R still maintains all other responsibilities, such as checking the book, speaking with the captains and coaches, administering the throw-ins to start the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters, etc.

...and designating the tosser to start OT...:eek:

tjones1 Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:42pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 553601)
From the inside cover of the 2007-09 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual:

2.2.1B, 3.2.1B The referee may designate the official to administer the jump ball to start the game or overtime.

I think what Billy was getting at was that whoever tosses the opening jump ball doesn't have to toss the overtime period(s), as 26YG has pointed out.

BillyMac Thu Nov 27, 2008 04:18pm

And/Or, Big Difference ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 553433)
But whoever tosses to start the game will also toss for any overtime period(s).

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 553601)
From the inside cover of the 2007-09 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual:2.2.1B, 3.2.1B The referee may designate the official to administer the jump ball to start the game or overtime.

If Scrapper1 is correct, shouldn't the citation read, "The referee may designate the official to administer the jump ball to start the game and overtime."? Seriously. Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey, I finally figured out how to multiple quote. This may be more fun that posting images.

Happy Thanksgiving.

26 Year Gap Thu Nov 27, 2008 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 553686)
If Scrapper1 is correct, shouldn't the citation read, "The referee may designate the official to administer the jump ball to start the game and overtime."? Seriously. Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey, I finally figured out how to multiple quote. This may be more fun that posting images.
Happy Thanksgiving.

How many 12 step programs can you take on at the same time?