The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

And another season starts tomorrow...

Oh, where did the off-season go. It's been a whopping 20 days since my last football playoff game and tomorrow I have a girls' varsity game, where I've decided to drag along a third and take home 2/3 of a paycheck.

I've worked about 7 hours of scrimmages and broke down and ordered my first 2 shirts in years from an outfit I've never used before (Purchase Official Supplies) (bye bye 100% polyester). Three games this week, three games next week. Last season I took off the first month of the season and didn't work a game until mid-December.

Before I know it, I'll have worked about 40 games (plus hopefully a handful of postseason games ) and I'll be moving the baseball gear up to the main closet and moving the basketball clothes to the basement until November.

And so on.

So I guess I'll put the basketball board top of the list for the next 4 months or so.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Rich, how's it going? No WP youth FB last season? I use Purchase Officials Supply for just about everything now since Honigs hosed me during FB. Placed an order with Honigs in Aug and a full month later they come back and charge me extra $20.95 for shipping after the fact for a split order. WIll never do business with them again. Purchase Officials SUpply (not to be confused with POS) is good service and I've liked their products. Good luck this season. Who is your P this year? Still that guy that moved up from IL in about 2004 (can't remember his name).

Roger
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:45pm
Archaic Power Monger

Good luck with your season, Rich. The football season just seemed to disappear didn't it?

I ordered a West Vest from Purchase Officials and was happy with the ordering experience.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Hey Rich, how's it going? No WP youth FB last season? I use Purchase Officials Supply for just about everything now since Honigs hosed me during FB. Placed an order with Honigs in Aug and a full month later they come back and charge me extra $20.95 for shipping after the fact for a split order. WIll never do business with them again. Purchase Officials SUpply (not to be confused with POS) is good service and I've liked their products. Good luck this season. Who is your P this year? Still that guy that moved up from IL in about 2004 (can't remember his name).

Roger
I worked my first youth football in about 4 years this season. One date, in my new hometown of Columbus. I had a great time, but then again, nobody said a word in 2 full games and they paid us $45 per game each.

I'm transitioning away from that partner (about a dozen games this season and only a handful next season). About 15 of my 40-ish games are 3-person this season, many of those with different people. I wish WI would make the transition (I would gladly work 3-for-2 for 2-3 years to give the schools time to transition to paying for 3 full checks, but only one conference I work assigns three for conference games).

I've never had a problem with Honig's and would've preferred them cause I know the sizing of their shirts, but 2 things kept me from using them. They are charging $31 per shirt and their best shirts are only with the college side-panel. So I'll try someone else this season -- and Purchase charges $29 (and 50% for the second shirt) for their best shirts. And I saw one this weekend and it looked SHARP.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Technically our basketball season starts tonight.

I will not have a game until next Monday. Not only am I still working football, but I do not work this week because it is girl's basketball.

Life is good.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Technically our basketball season starts tonight.

I will not have a game until next Monday. Not only am I still working football, but I do not work this week because it is girl's basketball.

Life is good.

Peace
For the first time since moving here, I did not get licensed in Illinois. I got tired of making the drive. So I don't have to worry anymore about getting reported for not having a patch on my shirts. Although I will miss the dozen or so boys varsity games I worked there every year.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
For the first time since moving here, I did not get licensed in Illinois. I got tired of making the drive. So I don't have to worry anymore about getting reported for not having a patch on my shirts. Although I will miss the dozen or so boys varsity games I worked there every year.
Honestly, I never really understood why people wanted to work two states anyway. I did that in baseball, but at least baseball seasons were not going on at the same time. It seems to be that would be too much of a hassle. I also did not want to go back to working 2 Person just to work a game in a state where the ball was not as good.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've never had a problem with Honig's and would've preferred them cause I know the sizing of their shirts, but 2 things kept me from using them. They are charging $31 per shirt and their best shirts are only with the college side-panel. So I'll try someone else this season -- and Purchase charges $29 (and 50% for the second shirt) for their best shirts. And I saw one this weekend and it looked SHARP.
So was their sizing any different than Honig's? How did you get 50% off the second one? I'm looking for something different this year too after many years of poly-cotton.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Oh, where did the off-season go. It's been a whopping 20 days since my last football playoff game and tomorrow I have a girls' varsity game, where I've decided to drag along a third and take home 2/3 of a paycheck.

I've worked about 7 hours of scrimmages and broke down and ordered my first 2 shirts in years from an outfit I've never used before (Purchase Official Supplies) (bye bye 100% polyester). Three games this week, three games next week. Last season I took off the first month of the season and didn't work a game until mid-December.

Before I know it, I'll have worked about 40 games (plus hopefully a handful of postseason games ) and I'll be moving the baseball gear up to the main closet and moving the basketball clothes to the basement until November.

And so on.

So I guess I'll put the basketball board top of the list for the next 4 months or so.
I know the feeling, my first game in on Saturday...I dont need anything shirts or pants, still good to go from last year!!! Good luck with your season.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I've been getting restless for about the past week. I worked about 16 nights of junior high games in September/October. Last game was on Halloween. Real season starts Wednesday and it's full bore from then on. First varsity game is next Tuesday and I'm pretty sure it will be 3-man, which is my first real game doing so. (I've only done it at camps)

Everyone have a good season.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
So was their sizing any different than Honig's? How did you get 50% off the second one? I'm looking for something different this year too after many years of poly-cotton.
I'll let you know. I'll be wearing a Honig's micromesh tomorrow night as my ordr isn't due until Wednesday. But $43.50 for 2 shirts is a good deal.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Honestly, I never really understood why people wanted to work two states anyway. I did that in baseball, but at least baseball seasons were not going on at the same time. It seems to be that would be too much of a hassle. I also did not want to go back to working 2 Person just to work a game in a state where the ball was not as good.

Peace
Depends where you're working, I guess. Some of the Madison ball is quite good and some of the Rockford ball is...ragged at best.

But I just didn't want to work down there anymore. No matter how many games we worked, we were never going to get assigned post-season games because we were reciprocal officials.
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 12:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Depends where you're working, I guess. Some of the Madison ball is quite good and some of the Rockford ball is...ragged at best.
I do not work Rockford ball, so I cannot really compare. I have had a couple of their teams on the road or in tournaments, but that was nothing to get overly excited about. I would rather go 2 hours in another direction and work a packed gym, then work in another state just to say I worked in another state. Part of the reason I do this is the excitement for post season games. I was always disappointed when I worked baseball in Iowa to work some of the best games in an area, only to not see the process in the state tournament.

Quote:
But I just didn't want to work down there anymore. No matter how many games we worked, we were never going to get assigned post-season games because we were reciprocal officials.
This is why I do not blame you. I only want to go to Wisconsin for college games.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Well, I thought my HS season would start December 2nd but the visiting team is still participating in the football play-offs with 3 more games needed to win state championship. Here are the scores of their games this season. I see a postponement in my future:

Week 1: 47-7

Week 2: 52-0

Week 3: 44-0

Week 4: 48-0

Week 5: 35-0

Week 6: 65-13

Week 7: 42-6 (over 2nd best team in conference)

Week 8: 63-0

Week 9: 48-0

Week 10: 77-0 (over Mike Tomlin's high school)

Eastern Region quarters: 63-6

Eastern Region semifinals: 47-0 (over Plaxico Burress' high school)
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 11:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Wow, BadNews that's quite a juegernaut team you have there! Looks like U of Fla scores! (Can you believe they play the Citadel this weekend? )