The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Here's one....Saw this...

last year in NCAA,but looking for ruling in NFHS and can't find. Team A is up by 2 with 1 second left, A1 is trying to miss FT, but right before he shoots everytime, B1 keeps putting his foot in the lane to create delayed defensive violation. How long do you keep calling it before you warn team B and assess a technical???? Can you warn team B there are making a mockery of the game at some point and assess team B a technical?? If so, can you help me where to find in book?? Thanks
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
last year in NCAA,but looking for ruling in NFHS and can't find. Team A is up by 2 with 1 second left, A1 is trying to miss FT, but right before he shoots everytime, B1 keeps putting his foot in the lane to create delayed defensive violation. How long do you keep calling it before you warn team B and assess a technical???? Can you warn team B there are making a mockery of the game at some point and assess team B a technical?? If so, can you help me where to find in book?? Thanks
With just 1 second left, A should just shoot the ball. B is *not* going to score. Plus, if A hits the shot, they are up 3 and the 1-in-a-million shot that goes in for B will only tie the game.

If B deliberately/repeatedly violates, I can see giving a warning for making a travesty of the game. I would say after the third time I would definitely consider giving a warning.

You could also make sure that B is in fact violating. Mechanics are to observe the lane across from us. We can only truly tell if someone breaks the FT-lane plane by being inline with the plane. Since we're on the opposite side of the floor, our perception isn't 100% on this call, and I just might misjudge if B entered the lane early or not.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Mon Nov 24, 2008 at 12:17pm.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Actionless contest" T could be given here; warn first, though.
Onus is on B, here. There's no rule forcing A to make the free throw; there is a rule preventing B from entering the lane early.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Actionless contest..

That's how you would word it when you go to the bench to warn the coach???
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
That's how you would word it when you go to the bench to warn the coach???
I was referencing the wording of the rule.
I'm just telling the coach his team needs to knock it off or I'll call a T. If he asks, I'll tell him what rule. If my assigner wants to know how I justified the T, I'll give him the rule.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 01:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
With just 1 second left, A should just shoot the ball. B is *not* going to score. Plus, if A hits the shot, they are up 3 and the 1-in-a-million shot that goes in for B will only tie the game.
But following B's timeout, they get to inbound the ball at half court. Sure they do, just ask any coach!
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Just ignore the violation. Its like any other end of game delay tactic. See, for example, case play 9.3.3 which deals with similar violations for purpose of delay. I know this general theory is stated in a rule somewhere too and I will look for it. But I found the case play right away (related to running out of bounds to get a stoppage of time) and it states the general theory:

"Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)."

I would use that same principal in your situation. Warn him once to knock it off. If he does it again, T him. It is clearly a non-contact, away from the ball illegal defensive violation designed to hinder what the offense is trying to do at the end of the game.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 01:59pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
But following B's timeout, they get to inbound the ball at half court. Sure they do, just ask any coach!
I know, I know.... BUT:

This is in fact the FIBA rule. It makes for many very exciting endings!