The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

How did you get to where you are?

Like a lot of new officials, I'm always looking to learn from the veterans and from those who are now where I want to be in the future.

In that spirit, I'd like to invite you veteran and NCAA D-I officials to tell your story. How long have you been blowing the whistle? What was your experience like in "climbing the ladder"? How did you get your first "break" into college ball and beyond? What are some of the challenges and obstacles you faced along the way?

I'm not looking for your life story or anything. Just a paragraph or two that outlines what your officiating path has looked like to give guys like me a vision for the future.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 04:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will just inform you, that most of the people that actually work that level, do not really post here anymore. Do not be surprised if you get little or no responses on this site with your questions from the people you are looking for. Many have stopped posting mainly because someone got in a little trouble for something they said on this and other sites. I hope I am wrong, but just do not get your hopes up.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will just inform you, that most of the people that actually work that level, do not really post here anymore. Do not be surprised if you get little or no responses on this site with your questions from the people you are looking for. Many have stopped posting mainly because someone got in a little trouble for something they said on this and other sites. I hope I am wrong, but just do not get your hopes up.

Peace
How about you?
Old Tue Nov 18, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Like a lot of new officials, I'm always looking to learn from the veterans and from those who are now where I want to be in the future.

In that spirit, I'd like to invite you veteran and NCAA D-I officials to tell your story. How long have you been blowing the whistle? What was your experience like in "climbing the ladder"? How did you get your first "break" into college ball and beyond? What are some of the challenges and obstacles you faced along the way?

I'm not looking for your life story or anything. Just a paragraph or two that outlines what your officiating path has looked like to give guys like me a vision for the future.
Initially, I did every game that I could. HS games, summer games, AAU games, rec league games. Worked very hard on mechanics; if you have the comportment and look the part, it helps establish credibility. As I gained there, I started really working hard on judgment; being very self-critical and getting feedback on whether the perception was that my calls were correct was of paramount importance. Once you gain that self-awareness, you are ready to fit in with any crew and manage any game.

After working 6 years and ascending to HS varsity and playoff basketball, I got invited to a college camp and got picked up. Back then, personal connections were much more important than today in terms of moving up the college ladder. Being a former athlete, having family in college athletics, or being connected to "made" officials was the best and easiest ticket upwards. Today, while those things exist to some extent, how you look physically has become very important. Also, today the camps have become much more money maker than talent development/evaluation.

In the end, no matter what level you get to, your accurate self-awareness and court judgment will define your career. That will allow you to tailor the people skills (self-awareness) and the technical skills (rules & judgment) to make you successful anywhere you work. As with any other career, to advance to the higest levels, right place/right time is a component you cannot always control. But you can control trying to be the best you can through mentors and learning through feedback at camps.

Last thing. D-1 officials make huge personal time sacrifices to work those games. It takes its toll on families. Be smart about balancing your personal life with officiating. It has eaten many alive.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Well, this thread hasn't gotten much attention in a week, so I'll chip in my 2 cents. (I've already steeled myself against being early for Groundhog Day or other rodentia-themed humor )

First, I'll echo Oracle's comments about working any game I could. It seems like I worked kids' games every single weekend for about my first 4 years (starting in '92), even after I started getting some JV high school games. I worked a lot, and it helped me see a lot of plays. Part of officiating is simply having seen it before and not being surprised by it, so that when it happens the next time, you know how to handle it. Working so much those first few years showed me a LOT of plays to store up for later.

And I always tried to work those games "the right way". I switched after fouls, I took POEs seriously, I tried to hone my mechanics. Many times, I see guys going through the motions in 5th/6th grade games. I worked my kids' games as though they were Varsity games.

Second, I sought and soaked up as much constructive criticism as I could get. I asked nearly every official I worked with, every Varsity official who followed my JV games, "Did you see anything I can work on?" Sometimes, it was not very helpful; but once in a while, I got something significant that I could try to improve.

Third, I studied the rules and mechanics manual. A lot of that happened here and at McGriff's. But I also tried to ask my interpreter questions after meetings (without monopolizing his time); and I studied the casebook quite a bit.

All of that got me to the HS Varsity level in my 6th season ('97). To get into D3 NCAA ball, I filled out an application and was accepted to my local association. I worked at the Associate level (JV and Juco) for 3 seasons ('98 - '00). After each of the first two seasons, I fully expected to be moved up to Varsity, and was extremely disappointed when other officials were promoted and I was not. After that second season, I almost gave up and returned strictly to a HS schedule. I decided to stop obsessing, work as hard as I could on my 6 JV games and not worry about what I couldn't control. After my 3rd season on the Associate list, I was promoted to the Varsity list for the '01 season.

To get to the next level, I have only one word for you: CAMP.

The key to Division 1 officiating right now is camps. For better or worse, I am a product of officiating camps. D1 assignors do not have the time to go around to hundreds of high schools and D3 colleges to look for talent. You have to go to them. You do this at camp.

Yes, it's expensive. My least expensive camp was $325 and my most expensive one was $550, plus airfare to Florida. (I have heard that the Big East camp is by invitation only and is free, but I don't know that firsthand.) Yes, it's time-consuming. Most camps run at least 4 days, and that's not counting the travel to get there. And NO, attending these camps -- even 3 or 4 or 5 times -- does not guarantee that you will be selected to work a D1 conference.

But I worked at camp with the same attitude that I had in those early years -- work every game hard, the right way; and I soaked up as much instruction as I could.

I was hired by my first conference for the '06-'07 season, and my second conference the next year. I had some surgery this summer, so I was unable to attend the Colonial camp or the America East tryout. I was bummed about that, but it was necessary. I work a very modest schedule of D1 games (10 games), but I am frankly ecstatic that I have them at all.

Oracle is also correct about the time commitment. College ball, in general, requires a bigger time commitment than HS. We're required to be at the game site 90 minutes before tip. But at the D1 level, the travel is also a LOT more. Not so much for me personally (my longest trip this year is 3 hours), but for guys who make it to the big conferences, their travel includes flights and hotels and can require long stretches away from the family.

I hope that's interesting to somebody.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Anytime I see and read a Chuck Elias post I always find it interesting! Thanks Chuck, very interesting and a great read.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Well, this thread hasn't gotten much attention in a week, so I'll chip in my 2 cents. (I've already steeled myself against being early for Groundhog Day or other rodentia-themed humor )

First, I'll echo Oracle's comments about working any game I could. It seems like I worked kids' games every single weekend for about my first 4 years (starting in '92), even after I started getting some JV high school games. I worked a lot, and it helped me see a lot of plays. Part of officiating is simply having seen it before and not being surprised by it, so that when it happens the next time, you know how to handle it. Working so much those first few years showed me a LOT of plays to store up for later.

And I always tried to work those games "the right way". I switched after fouls, I took POEs seriously, I tried to hone my mechanics. Many times, I see guys going through the motions in 5th/6th grade games. I worked my kids' games as though they were Varsity games.

Second, I sought and soaked up as much constructive criticism as I could get. I asked nearly every official I worked with, every Varsity official who followed my JV games, "Did you see anything I can work on?" Sometimes, it was not very helpful; but once in a while, I got something significant that I could try to improve.

Third, I studied the rules and mechanics manual. A lot of that happened here and at McGriff's. But I also tried to ask my interpreter questions after meetings (without monopolizing his time); and I studied the casebook quite a bit.

All of that got me to the HS Varsity level in my 6th season ('97). To get into D3 NCAA ball, I filled out an application and was accepted to my local association. I worked at the Associate level (JV and Juco) for 3 seasons ('98 - '00). After each of the first two seasons, I fully expected to be moved up to Varsity, and was extremely disappointed when other officials were promoted and I was not. After that second season, I almost gave up and returned strictly to a HS schedule. I decided to stop obsessing, work as hard as I could on my 6 JV games and not worry about what I couldn't control. After my 3rd season on the Associate list, I was promoted to the Varsity list for the '01 season.

To get to the next level, I have only one word for you: CAMP.

The key to Division 1 officiating right now is camps. For better or worse, I am a product of officiating camps. D1 assignors do not have the time to go around to hundreds of high schools and D3 colleges to look for talent. You have to go to them. You do this at camp.

Yes, it's expensive. My least expensive camp was $325 and my most expensive one was $550, plus airfare to Florida. (I have heard that the Big East camp is by invitation only and is free, but I don't know that firsthand.) Yes, it's time-consuming. Most camps run at least 4 days, and that's not counting the travel to get there. And NO, attending these camps -- even 3 or 4 or 5 times -- does not guarantee that you will be selected to work a D1 conference.

But I worked at camp with the same attitude that I had in those early years -- work every game hard, the right way; and I soaked up as much instruction as I could.

I was hired by my first conference for the '06-'07 season, and my second conference the next year. I had some surgery this summer, so I was unable to attend the Colonial camp or the America East tryout. I was bummed about that, but it was necessary. I work a very modest schedule of D1 games (10 games), but I am frankly ecstatic that I have them at all.

Oracle is also correct about the time commitment. College ball, in general, requires a bigger time commitment than HS. We're required to be at the game site 90 minutes before tip. But at the D1 level, the travel is also a LOT more. Not so much for me personally (my longest trip this year is 3 hours), but for guys who make it to the big conferences, their travel includes flights and hotels and can require long stretches away from the family.

Glad to hear that you're still doing NCAA, Chuck. 10 games is pretty good, imo. I heard of a guy that only worked 1 NCAA game one particular season. His name was Buck, I think.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:23pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Glad to hear that you're still doing NCAA, Chuck. 10 games is pretty good, imo. I heard of a guy that only worked 1 NCAA game one particular season. His name was Buck, I think.
Oh yeah, I remember reading that box score.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 12:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Thanks, Chuck.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 04:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

Actually his name was Bhuck....and I couldn't find his stats sheet anywhere.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 05:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Actually his name was Bhuck....and I couldn't find his stats sheet anywhere.
Must not have done very well; and I was led to look up to Mr. Elics. Now I'm questioning my choice of hero.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 05:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Well there is always Diebler...

By the way, Chuck, thanks. That was a nice read!

Edit: Snaqs, it appears that once upon a time there was a "Bhuck" statsheet...but no more. It has been relegated to the dustbin of history.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=3&gl=us

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Nov 24, 2008 at 05:55pm.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

The myth, the man, the legend?

Link
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Well there is always Diebler...

By the way, Chuck, thanks. That was a nice read!

Edit: Snaqs, it appears that once upon a time there was a "Bhuck" statsheet...but no more. It has been relegated to the dustbin of history.

Bhuck Elics - College Basketball Referee
Wow. He called 50 fouls? I don't work basketball but it seems like he could share with his partners a little.

That was a lot of great information, Chuck. I'm sure Bhuck worked just as hard as you did.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 12:52am
Archaic Power Monger

50 out of a supposed 52 personal fouls. That's a number to make Diebler proud.