The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Odds and Ends... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49880-odds-ends.html)

jdmara Fri Nov 14, 2008 08:46pm

Odds and Ends...

In a tread earlier this evening I asked about whistle hygiene. I know that I carry only the bare essentials in my bag typically. In addition to my two pair of pants, whistles, lanyards, misc shirts, socks, shoes, etc; I carry a toothbrush, toothpaste, pre-game board, rules/case books, officiating notebook (to record observations/incidents/etc), pen(s)....umm...I think that's all I carry typically. I know some officials carry a air pump needle. What else do you carry?

-Josh

Raymond Fri Nov 14, 2008 08:52pm

Plastic bag for dirty/wet items. I sweat alot. Even in a routine game I finished with a soaked shirt.

mick Fri Nov 14, 2008 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 550788)
What else do you carry?

3-4 20 oz. bottles of a sport drink. 2 to drink; one or two to give away
Chocolate
Towel
Soap
Tic-tacs
Name labels

BillyMac Fri Nov 14, 2008 09:49pm

Is This A Gucci Bag ???

Electric razor.
After shave.
Black thread and needle.
Aspirin.
Black shoelaces.
Lip balm.
Nail clippers/file.
Comb.
Small multifunction "army" knife.
Extra car key.
Sugarless cough drops.
Shoe polish.
State or regional map.

Mark Padgett Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:50pm

Meds. Not kidding.

Back In The Saddle Sun Nov 16, 2008 09:19am

Sewing kit, ibuprofen, shower stuff, rules/case/officials manuals, pre-game board (which has almost never been used), journal and pens, extra whistles and lanyards, shoe polish, flex belt (early in the season helps keep the shirt in, later in the season helps keep the pants up :eek:), energy bars, sports drink, occasionally a Red Bull. Uni & jacket of course.

grunewar Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:19am

Along with much of the normal stuff already discussed - small first-aid kit, listerine strips, tissues and a roll of toilet paper (sometimes I don't get a fancy, big time gym with nice facilities). ;)

Back In The Saddle Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 550961)
Along with much of the normal stuff already discussed - small first-aid kit, listerine strips, tissues and a roll of toilet paper (sometimes I don't get a fancy, big time gym with nice facilities). ;)

Please tell me the TP isn't for use with a tree out back. :eek:

grunewar Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 550964)
Please tell me the TP isn't for use with a tree out back. :eek:

Nah, nothing so dramatic....but, the out houses and porta potties, now that's another story! :p

BillyMac Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:41am

Talk About Taking A Cold Shower ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 550961)
Sometimes I don't get a fancy, big time gym with nice facilities.

We have a public high school in our local board's area, a perennial state powerhouse boys program, several state championships in the large school bracket, whose players often go on to Division I schools, and in at least one case, the NBA, that doesn't have hot water in the showers. Not for many years.

The athletic director has promised that we'll get hot water this year. Our football official friends tell us that it's true, but I'll believe it when I feel it.

budjones05 Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:33pm

In the budjones bag,

5 whistles, one NBA style lanyard, one shirt lanyard, deodorant, towel, chapstick, gum, NFHS Mechanics Manual, Casebook, business cards, velcro, MSHSAA patches, court board, and my stamp

jdmara Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05 (Post 550977)
In the budjones bag,

5 whistles, one NBA style lanyard, one shirt lanyard, deodorant, towel, chapstick, gum, NFHS Mechanics Manual, Casebook, business cards, velcro, MSHSAA patches, court board, and my stamp

Stamp for? :confused:

-Josh

BillyMac Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:50pm

And A Partridge In A Pear Tree ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by budjones05 (Post 550977)

Basketball, or real job? Seriously.

I also have a question about the stamp. Are you a Notary Public? Do you also have sealing wax in your bag?

budjones05 Sun Nov 16, 2008 01:10pm

Business cards, so one may remember me when they fill out special reports to MSHSAA or other things (websites, etc.) and the stamp, I don't know about your state, but MSHSAA have to sign the rulebook and when you have to write your name three times, it gets old. The stamp is just faster with my name and state number.