The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I have recently been appointed as Director of Referees for my local Basketball association (www.manlybasketball.com.au. Tonight I have our first Board Meeting and there are a couple of things that I would like your help with.

One of the main things that I would like to do for our referees is to come up with more non-financial methods of rewarding them. Does anyone here gain any benefit from refereeing other than being paid (store discounts, awards, free uniforms, etc).

Also, what could be done to encourage you to continue (or increase) the ammount of refereeing that you do? Again, especially any non-financial incentives would be great.

Thanks.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 12:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Not really sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
I have recently been appointed as Director of Referees for my local Basketball association (www.manlybasketball.com.au. Tonight I have our first Board Meeting and there are a couple of things that I would like your help with.

One of the main things that I would like to do for our referees is to come up with more non-financial methods of rewarding them. Does anyone here gain any benefit from refereeing other than being paid (store discounts, awards, free uniforms, etc).

Also, what could be done to encourage you to continue (or increase) the ammount of refereeing that you do? Again, especially any non-financial incentives would be great.

Thanks.
Free uniforms or equiptment would be great. I realize that we all might not really do this for the money, but it sure does help. Unless you will give individuals a better schedule, I really do not know what you can do.

Peace
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Duane: I checked out your website. Looks
like you have a great organization there.

Personally, I like money best, but other ideas
sound good, too. Instead of free uniforms and
equipment, I would suggest a gift certificate
that can be redeemed so the ref can get what he
wants and needs at the sporting goods store.
Food and restaurant certificates might be popular.
Or, tickets to games (I'll take the Red Sox).
I'm not sure if awards would satisfy your
hard working refs, though. (best dressed ref?)

Non-payment incentives: No-tolerance policy for
unsportsmanlike behavior. A local league in my
area has this. If a coach gets 2 T's in a SEASON
(not a game) he's gone. They do not allow any
harassment of referees whatsoever, by players,
coaches, or parents. Coaches my address refs in a
respectful manner if they have a question.

Good luck with your appointment.
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Duane,

Most refs I know ref for the enjoyment of it and money. In the absence of money, the best thing you can do is make it enjoyable. To make it enjoyable, you must demand complete sportsmanship from the spectators and coaches. If you aren't paying much and the spectators or coaches or jerks, you'll run out of refs in a hurry.

One other thing that refs appreciate is getting evaluated and improving (that's why we go to camps). If you had some respected evaluators who could give constructive comments to you refs, that might be appreciated. If you could videotape some games and give copies to the refs, that might be appreciated too.

Z
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Duane,
Money is always a good incentive. But, I would rather earn it than have it given to me.
I think Zaebraman hit the nail on the head. Provide that 3rd party observation and let the ref's get feedback from him. When I was first starting out in this league, 1 or 2 more experinced refs would show up and eval the game. At halftime or during a dead ball they would step out and point out mistakes I was making. It helped having that on the spot correction.
Besides, what are compensating them for? Extra money for making a good call? I'm not sure I understand that part. I would think that most people would want the constructive critism. Otherwise, I am just a higher paid, weak official.

I know step off my soapbox

echo
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 11:56am
certified Hot Mom tester

Don't forget to have an end-of-season party and give out awards. Have the members vote. Some suggestions are: "favorite partner", "coolest under fire", "top rookie", "most improved official", "best official" and of course, my personal favorite, "Mr. T".

Prizes can be for equipment or perhaps pizza. If someone wins the same award three years in a row, name it after him/her.
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Duane, as has been previously mentioned, we officiate for the money and for the enjoyment we get from a good game. I had one this past Sunday. B-18 in a league where we are just about guaranteed at least 2 T's per game. This game was fun to officiate (total of 16 fouls for the whole game) and it was a 2-point victory. Both coaches and several players from both teams thanked my partner and me for a good game. You don't get this very often.

BTW, regarding the name of your league, do you have to be a "man" to play or is this the name of the town? Just kidding.
Old Tue May 21, 2002, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your suggestions, many of them I had considered - but it is nice to know that other referees desire the same things. Getting (and keeping) quality referes is our biggest challange - and it's one that I look forward to dealing with.

Once again, a big thanks to everyone on this forum - your comments have helped me to improve as a referee, and will hopefully make my administration of referees more effective.

Thanks.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee