The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control Mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49845-team-control-mechanic.html)

PIAA REF Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:32am

Team Control Mechanic

Last night in my chapter meeting there seems to be some confusion on whether or not they have change the procedure of the mechanic of a team control foul. Last year it was the following sequence. Raised fist in air, followed by "punch signal" followed by signal of fouls (example push, block, ect. ) then point to spot out of bounds. When at the table they wanted just what the foul was. Push, block ect.

Now this year we are being told (but not concretely) that it is the same but when we report to the table we just show the "punch aka team control mechanic.

Has anyone else heard of this, I ref in Pennsylvania, not sure if this is a state thing or not. I am positive that it was how I stated it was last year because that was in the "preseason bulletin" that was published by the PIAA. I am hoping that when the November issue is released there is something that talks about this.

JRutledge Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:51am

This is likely a local thing and something that did not have to change in other circles to have a recommendation.

Peace

Spence Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 550291)
When at the table they wanted just what the foul was. Push, block ect.

Now this year we are being told (but not concretely) that it is the same but when we report to the table we just show the "punch aka team control mechanic.

Isn't it more important to show the punch at the desk in order to signal no FTs than to show the type of foul (block/push/etc)?

Is there something I'm missing as to why the desk needs to know if was a push or a grab?

Ch1town Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 550308)
Isn't it more important to show the punch at the desk in order to signal no FTs than to show the type of foul (block/push/etc)?

Is there something I'm missing as to why the desk needs to know if was a push or a grab?

I agree, but "desk"? Come on Spence. that's too funny :D

JRutledge Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 550308)

You are communicating to more than just the table. I would make the case that is just as valuable to give the type of foul committed so that everyone knows what took place. The Team Control signal is to communicate a specific course of action after the foul.

Peace

Spence Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 550314)
I agree, but "desk"? Come on Spence. that's too funny :D

I guess as a rook, I'll have to bite: What? Desk v table?

Ch1town Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:24pm

No biggie, just never heard of that one before. As long as you don't call "over the back fouls" & use the "tip signal" for blocked shots, we're good :D

fullor30 Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 550318)
No biggie, just never heard of that one before. As long as you don't call "over the back fouls" & use the "tip signal" for blocked shots, we're good :D

At least he didn't say credenza.........;):D

Adam Thu Nov 13, 2008 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 550325)
At least he didn't say credenza.........;):D

Or bureau.

ajs8207 Thu Nov 13, 2008 04:27pm

I remember a decent sized thread about team control fouls and how to report them not too long ago. If you search for it you'll probably find it.

fiasco Thu Nov 13, 2008 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 550315)
You are communicating to more than just the table. I would make the case that is just as valuable to give the type of foul committed so that everyone knows what took place. The Team Control signal is to communicate a specific course of action after the foul.

Peace

I hear what you're saying, but we don't do the same for a PCF. Why the distinction?

Adam Thu Nov 13, 2008 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 550395)
I hear what you're saying, but we don't do the same for a PCF. Why the distinction?

We don't? I give the signal for a PC foul at the spot and at the table. Am I wrong?

fiasco Thu Nov 13, 2008 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 550397)
We don't? I give the signal for a PC foul at the spot and at the table. Am I wrong?

JRut is arguing that you should give the foul type at the table as well as the TC signal.

I'm asking why that is not done for PC foul.

Adam Thu Nov 13, 2008 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 550403)
JRut is arguing that you should give the foul type at the table as well as the TC signal.

That's what I get for only paying half-a$$ attention. I'll slowly back away now.

Raymond Thu Nov 13, 2008 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 550403)

TC can be a hold, block, or push. FED wants that signal (which was all that was done before the 'punch' came along) included in the mechanic. Probably b/c the call is off-ball they want everyone to know what occurred to cause the foul.

PC has always its own signal and everybody eyes are already on that play, no further signal needed.