The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down SuperRef

It would be nice if our new member would make a post pertaining to something other than seeking an answer to a current test question.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed that as well. Seems a little fishy

-Josh
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 08:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe he should have gone by aquaman.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 08:55pm
M.A.S.H.

I must be missing something. I don't see any posts by her/him.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I must be missing something. I don't see any posts by her/him.
Try installing your humor plug-in.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 08:57pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Try installing your humor plug-in.
Ahhhh, installed!
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I've been at hospitals all day long and I'm exhausted, but I don't get it. Explain it slowly, OK,
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
OK, I've been at hospitals all day long and I'm exhausted, but I don't get it. Explain it slowly, OK,
I believe it's actually SuperRef's alter ego that's doing the posting.

I can't wait for Lois Lane to join the forum.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ok here is a question/validation...

At our assoc. mtg the other nite I asked for verification that the 2 lowest legal lane spaces must be occupied by the defense at all times. In that, I mean, if the shooter has two shots the coach of the defense can not huddle all his players for a short conference during the 1st shot. From there the discussion went in a couple of different directions. 1) Yes he could but as the administrating referee of the free throw you would give the defense a delay warning and if they still did not return to the lane in a quick manner, the coach would then receive a 'T' for a 2nd delay. The discussion also went in the direction of who can occupy the other 4 places during a free throw. Our final thoughts were....If the offense does not want a space the defense can slide into those spots. If only one offensive player wants a space the defense across from him/her can slide into the vacated spot.
Thoughts???
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's a walk View Post
At our assoc. mtg the other nite I asked for verification that the 2 lowest legal lane spaces must be occupied by the defense at all times. In that, I mean, if the shooter has two shots the coach of the defense can not huddle all his players for a short conference during the 1st shot. From there the discussion went in a couple of different directions. 1) Yes he could but as the administrating referee of the free throw you would give the defense a delay warning and if they still did not return to the lane in a quick manner, the coach would then receive a 'T' for a 2nd delay. The discussion also went in the direction of who can occupy the other 4 places during a free throw. Our final thoughts were....If the offense does not want a space the defense can slide into those spots. If only one offensive player wants a space the defense across from him/her can slide into the vacated spot.
Thoughts???
Unless the RPP is in effect, the defense must occupy the two lowest spaces. 10.1.5C and 9.1.2 ("whereas in other cases ...")

The defense can take the offense's spots if the offense doesn't want thme (within the limitation of 4 total defensive players). 8.1.4
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

How sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's a walk View Post
Thoughts???
I'm continually amazed at the lack of understanding by some ENTIRE associations. Don't they not have Rule and Case books? Or do they just not read them?

10.1.5 SITUATION C: The calling official has reported the foul and proceeds to his/her proper position for the first of two free throws awarded to A1. B1 and B2 are: (a) huddling in the lane; or (b) two B players are not occupying the first two marked spaces next to the end line as required. RULING: In (a), if the huddle delays the officials' administration, Team B is warned. The warning is recorded by the scorer and reported to the head coach. If Team B had been previously warned for delay, a technical foul shall be charged. In (b), Team B will be directed to occupy the required spaces. If there is delay, a technical foul shall be charged to Team B. (4-47)

FREE THROW DELAY FOLLOWING A TIME-OUT
9.1.2 SITUATION A:
Following a time-out by Team B, A1 is given the ball for the first of two free throws even though Team B is still huddling at the bench and the first marked spaces on each side of the lane are not occupied. In this case, the trail official uses the resumption-of-play procedure even though the first spaces are not occupied, whereas in other cases, the spaces would have to be properly occupied before the official would proceed with the free throw administration. A1's first attempt is successful. The lead official then bounces the ball to A1 for the second attempt. Team B is still at the sideline. The official again gives the signal which indicates a violation by Team B if the attempt is missed. A1 misses the second free-throw attempt. RULING: The violation will result in A1 being given a substitute attempt. Team B will be assessed a technical foul if they delay further by not occupying the first marked spaces on each side of the lane before the ball becomes live for the substitute throw. (4-38; 10-1-5b)

8-1-4f: "Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a vacant space within the limitations listed in this rule."

8.1.4 SITUATION:
A1 is at the free-throw line for the first attempt of a bonus situation. In (a), two Team B and two Team A players occupy the first and second marked lane spaces, respectively. B3 occupies one of the third marked lane spaces. A3 attempts to occupy the vacant third marked lane space; or (b) two Team B players occupy the first marked lane spaces. The offense chooses not to occupy any marked lane spaces. Two more Team B players choose to occupy the second marked lane spaces. RULING: Illegal in (a), A3 is not permitted to occupy the third marked lane space. Only two offensive players may occupy marked lane spaces during a free throw. If the improper alignment is not corrected prior to the thrower having the ball at his/her disposal, a free-throw violation shall be called on Team A immediately. Legal in (b), four defensive players are permitted in any of the first three vacant marked lane spaces.

DEFENSE AND OFFENSE IN OPPOSITE SPACES
9.1.2 SITUATION B:
A1 is shooting the first of a bonus free-throw situation. A4 and A5 are positioned in the first two marked lane spaces (near the end line) and B4 and B5 are positioned in the second two marked lane spaces. The incorrect alignment is discovered by the officials (a) before the ball is at the disposal of A1; (b) after the ball is at A1's disposal, but before the try is in flight; (c) when the try is in flight; (d) when the successful try goes through the cylinder; (e) when the unsuccessful try is rebounding off the basket ring; or (f) when the rebound of the unsuccessful try is securely in A4's possession. RULING: In (a), the administering official shall "reset" the free throw and put the players in their proper marked lane spaces. In (b) and (c) an official shall sound his/her whistle immediately and call a simultaneous violation, utilizing the alternating-possession procedure to put the ball in play. In (d), (e) and (f) the free throw has ended and the improper alignment is ignored. (4-20-3; 9-1-2 Penalty 3)

It's not as if these are new rulings. The NFHS has made this point clear since 2003 when they altered the FT line-up to 4 defensive and 2 offensive players.

New Free Throw Line-Up