The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Officiating Seems Different This Season

Is it just me, or are the refs in the NBA actually calling it more by the book this year?

Seriously.

Its early, I know. But it seems to me that the calls they usually pass on are getting called and there seem to be fewer cheesy star treatment calls. And they actually are calling stuff at the end of the game.

Maybe its just me. Or maybe that new head of officiating is changing the culture of NBA officiating.

Please dont misconstrue this post. I have always had tons of respect for NBA officials. I couldnt imagine trying to ref Shaq or the athletes at that level. But to me the NBA has always had a larger dose of "entertainment" as part of the officiating philosophy--no travels or 3 seconds because it just slows down the game, reward the stars for touch fouls, and swallow the whistle in the final seconds.

This year seems much different to me. I noticed it after the first game I watched this year. And I keep seeing it game after game.

I know that as officials we often joke about NBA officiating, but it really seems that the gap between HS/College and NBA officiating philosophies has gotten smaller this year.

Thoughts? Have you guys (and ladies) seen the same thing?

Last edited by cdaref; Mon Nov 10, 2008 at 04:50pm.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 05:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

It's all because Donaghy left.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Strangely enough, it was NBA officials who first put the urge in me to be an official at some point.

2002 Western Conference Finals, Game 6, Kings vs Lakers...enough said. I'm a die-hard Kings fan and just watching the officiating in that game made me want to become an official just cause I knew I could do a better job than that crew. Stupid motivation? Maybe. But it got me started on this path.

And yes, NBA official have looked a little better so far this season. I think it's because they want to avoid any appearance of being crooked.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 11:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Is it just me, or didn't we have this conversation last season?
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

This question isn't worth a thread, so I'm glad an NBE thread was already started.

What's the purpose of the made basket mechanic, when after a goal, they give a single arm thrust similar to a 10 second count?
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 01:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

And Ts are still getting beat handily down the court.

Time to go to 4-person mechanics.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaref View Post
Is it just me, or are the refs in the NBA actually calling it more by the book this year?

Seriously.

Its early, I know. But it seems to me that the calls they usually pass on are getting called and there seem to be fewer cheesy star treatment calls. And they actually are calling stuff at the end of the game.

Maybe its just me. Or maybe that new head of officiating is changing the culture of NBA officiating.

Please dont misconstrue this post. I have always had tons of respect for NBA officials. I couldnt imagine trying to ref Shaq or the athletes at that level. But to me the NBA has always had a larger dose of "entertainment" as part of the officiating philosophy--no travels or 3 seconds because it just slows down the game, reward the stars for touch fouls, and swallow the whistle in the final seconds.

This year seems much different to me. I noticed it after the first game I watched this year. And I keep seeing it game after game.

I know that as officials we often joke about NBA officiating, but it really seems that the gap between HS/College and NBA officiating philosophies has gotten smaller this year.

Thoughts? Have you guys (and ladies) seen the same thing?
I think you are just watching more pro ball and seeing that there are actually several travels called a game.
Secondly, there has been nothing said by management about calling plays different from last year. The only thing said in regards to mechanics is that they are wanting the refs to work a little more toward the sideline when possible. Guys were going way too far on the floor when instead they could have been working off the sideline.

I don't see a close in the gap although I'm bias. I believe there are very few refs out there in college who could cut it in the pro game although there are SOME who would do great. As far as the gap in philosophy I sure hope it is closing that would be great for the game.