The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I got a call from a friend of mine today while watching the Nets-Celtics game and he asked me a question which I had no answer to. Why is that in the NBA most teams shoot away from their bench in the second half? Unlike in high school and college where in the second half you shoot in the basket nearest your bench. I have seen NBA games where the teams have shot closest to their bench in the second half though. What is the NBA rule on this or is it up to the home team to decide which basket they want to shoot. I have seen both scenarios in the NBA so that is why I wonder if there is a specific rule or do the teams decide before a game? Just wondering.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Visiting team has their choice of baskets.
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Visiting team has choice of baskets. The visiting team coach usually wants to coach his defense down the stretch of a game instead of the offense. Reason behind this, is because the NBA game, as you can tell by the low scores, is a great defensive game now as opposed the the 80's when the scores were in the hundreds every night out. Plus, to add to that, pure shooters of the game have vanished as well as compared to the 80's, which helps decrease the high scoring games.