The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question, NCAA rules. When does a foot ball violation occur? I have a debate with a friend who thinks it is only when the ball is intentional contacted by the defender below the knee. I think that it is when the ball is intentionaly contacted by the defender from the waist down. Can someone help me out. I can not find this in the rule book or illustrated book. Any concrete reference to a section or rule would greatly help. Thanks.
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
How's this?

Rule 4. Section 41. Kicking the Ball
Art. 1. Kicking the ball is striking it intentionally with any part of the leg or the foot.
Art. 2. Accidentally striking the ball with the foot or leg shall not be a violation.

Rule 9. Section 5. Travel, Intentional Kick, Fist, Through Basket from Below
Art. 1. A player shall not travel or run with the ball, intentionally kick it, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below.
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The confusion may be b/c the High School rule (NFHS) specifies that it's only a violation if it contacts the knee or below intentionally. Fed 4-29.

Chuck
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dewey1
Question, NCAA rules. When does a foot ball violation occur? I have a debate with a friend who thinks it is only when the ball is intentional contacted by the defender below the knee. I think that it is when the ball is intentionaly contacted by the defender from the waist down. Can someone help me out. I can not find this in the rule book or illustrated book. Any concrete reference to a section or rule would greatly help. Thanks.
Ooh! Ooh! Mr Padgett, can I give the smart-a** answer??

It's a violation to use a football any time during a basketball game!
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Lotto greatly appreciated. That little site just won me a case of beer. Oh and thanks for the smart a** answer as well Mark.

Dewey
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 04:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Ooh! Ooh! Mr Padgett, can I give the smart-a** answer??

It's a violation to use a football any time during a basketball game!
Copyrighted answers require advance written permission from my office. Address all requests to:

Mark Padgett
Captain, US Olympic Sarcasm Team
Any non-euro address
USA

BTW - Brad Smith, the coach of the top HS girls program in the nation, Oregon City, uses football drills to "toughen" his girls up for games in which he expects they will experience a lot of contact. They actually line up in formation in the gym and throw a football to receivers while other players block.

I guess it works, since they have won our state 4A title eight times in the last eleven years and have been concensus national champs twice in that span.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

BTW - Brad Smith, the coach of the top HS girls program in the nation, Oregon City, uses football drills to "toughen" his girls up for games in which he expects they will experience a lot of contact. They actually line up in formation in the gym and throw a football to receivers while other players block.
How do you know this? Don't they have closed practices? Is this just an urban legend!?
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 09:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

How do you know this? Don't they have closed practices? Is this just an urban legend!?
Juulie - glad to have you back among the living. I got your email about how you were out of town for a while.

As to Brad Smith - there was a lame show on cable access last week. I caught it while flipping between "The Man Show" and "Playboy Creamed Corn Wrestling." It was produced by the dad of someone on the team, or possibly by some kids at that school. It showed their practices to the tune of some so-called music. I think it was "Girls Just Want To Have Trophies." There was also some footage from some of their tournament games. Probably violated OSAA copyrights.
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Welcome back rainmaker! Was wondering where you disappeared to, thought we might have made you mad. If you have been "catching up" on the posts, you know some of the posters (guess who) are getting out of hand and need to be "policed". Anyway, glad to have you back.
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 06:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

BTW - Juulie emailed me today and said she would be taking a trip outside the US to a metric country.

I guess when she gets back, we'll have to put her through our re-education process.

It involves sleep deprivation and staring at naked pictures of Vladi Divac while chanting, "I'd like to buy a vowel, Pat."

Damn - out of meds again.