The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Does he have a legal pivot foot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49639-does-he-have-legal-pivot-foot.html)

db Thu Oct 30, 2008 07:15pm

Does he have a legal pivot foot

A1 cuts off a high post screen and receives a pass from A2. Whe A1 receives the ball , he has only one foot on the floor. A1 jumps off the that is on the floor and lands simultaneously on both feetwhile holding the ball A1 may do what?
Pass, shoot, or call timeout, but may not step since he no longer has a legal pivot foot?????

Adam Thu Oct 30, 2008 08:47pm

Correct. This is what officials typically refer to as a "jump stop."

just another ref Thu Oct 30, 2008 08:49pm

Correct. He may not pivot. Either foot may be lifted but not returned to the floor before releasing a shot or pass. Neither foot may be lifted before starting a dribble.

JS 20 Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:31pm

Good article about this very situation on the "My Referee" section of the arbiter if you have access to it.

Lotto Fri Oct 31, 2008 04:59am

In the NCAA definition, a jump stop can only be executed if a player with one foot on the floor "catches the ball while moving or dribbling." Both the definition of jump stop and traveling in Rule 4 use this language. There is no language that I can find that addresses when a stationary player catches the ball with one foot on the floor. Does that make a difference?

Specifically, suppose A2 catches the ball with one foot on the floor, stands on that one foot for a couple of seconds, and then jumps off it and lands on two feet. Legal jump stop, or travel?

bob jenkins Fri Oct 31, 2008 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 547491)
In the NCAA definition, a jump stop can only be executed if a player with one foot on the floor "catches the ball while moving or dribbling." Both the definition of jump stop and traveling in Rule 4 use this language. There is no language that I can find that addresses when a stationary player catches the ball with one foot on the floor. Does that make a difference?

Specifically, suppose A2 catches the ball with one foot on the floor, stands on that one foot for a couple of seconds, and then jumps off it and lands on two feet. Legal jump stop, or travel?

Legal jump stop.

No player would stand on one foot while waiting to receive a pass (exceptions: pass is in the air and player stumbles and regains balance just in time to catch pass, player has only one foot, coach calls for the "sleeping flamingo" play.)

Lotto Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 547530)
No player would stand on one foot while waiting to receive a pass...

I agree that it's unlikely at best, but what if it happened? Is it legal to catch the ball while on one foot but not moving or dribbling, then jump stop to two feet?

jdw3018 Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 547654)
I agree that it's unlikely at best, but what if it happened? Is it legal to catch the ball while on one foot but not moving or dribbling, then jump stop to two feet?

Yes, it is legal.

Coach Bill Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:55pm

I see a lot of players receive a pass on two feet, take a hop, and shoot. Is that legal?

just another ref Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 547670)
I see a lot of players receive a pass on two feet, take a hop, and shoot. Is that legal?

no

Adam Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Bill (Post 547670)

As long as it's coached both ways.

SmokeEater Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 547686)

What exactly are you getting at Snaq's?

M&M Guy Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 547686)

You're just ornery today, ain't 'ya?

Coach Bill, that is actually a POE in NCAA-W this year. A1 receives a pass, they take a little hop to back up off the 3-point line, then shoot. That is, and always has been a travel; we've just not called it like we should. Now they want us to call that move a travel.

OHBBREF Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:48pm

Traveling is a point of emphisis
They never told us not to call it - they want us to get better at it,
they want us to be consistent and call traveling when the player travels.

Adam Fri Oct 31, 2008 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 547701)
You're just ornery today, ain't 'ya?

Yeah, I'm out of tylenol, oxy, and vicadin. Last night I saw a short video that left me sick to my stomach.

On top of that, I strained so hard trying to read the eye chart this morning that I might go blind.