The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   loose ball situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49590-loose-ball-situation.html)

OHBBREF Tue Oct 28, 2008 02:05pm

loose ball situation

A1 looses control of the ball and falls to the floor.
B1 dives for the loose ball also.
A1 cannot get her hands on the ball so she clamps both legs around the ball just as B1 puts her hands on the ball.

Both players call TO at the same time.

What you got?

Raymond Tue Oct 28, 2008 02:06pm

A violation on A1.

rlarry Tue Oct 28, 2008 02:06pm

Violation. kicking

Raymond Tue Oct 28, 2008 02:11pm

For an NCAA reference check A.R. 100.

bob jenkins Tue Oct 28, 2008 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 546591)
A1 looses control of the ball and falls to the floor.
B1 dives for the loose ball also.
A1 cannot get her hands on the ball so she clamps both legs around the ball just as B1 puts her hands on the ball.

Both players call TO at the same time.

What you got?

With all these questions, you must be taking a test.

OHBBREF Tue Oct 28, 2008 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 546631)
With all these questions, you must be taking a test.

just going through my old study materials and meeting questions to get my pre-games ready for this year, my last scrimage is Saturday, and the first NAIA games are Friday 10/31, so I thought I'd through out some of the more interesting stuff I had archived to see what came of it.

NoFear Tue Oct 28, 2008 04:36pm

If A1 ended the dribble after s/he losses it, then a, b, and c, are illegal.

justacoach Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFear (Post 546661)

Huh???????

Rule reference, please.......

Adam Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFear (Post 546661)

I'm with coach. Are you sure you responded to the right thread?

Spence Thu Oct 30, 2008 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarry (Post 546593)
Violation. kicking

Do we consider the act of wrapping one's legs around the ball to be "striking" the ball as it says in the rulebook?

rlarry Thu Oct 30, 2008 08:32am

Yes. It is using the legs to secure the ball. I will admit this is my 1st year of college, so reading 2 rule books I can't find it for you. You want to use your legs play soccer.

Edit: NCAA Case Book: A.R 100
NFHS Rule Book 9.4 Where the rule uses the word strike, I believe is in regard to using the fist. With kicking it is intent

Spence Thu Oct 30, 2008 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarry (Post 547074)
Yes. It is using the legs to secure the ball. I will admit this is my 1st year of college, so reading 2 rule books I can't find it for you. You want to use your legs play soccer.

Edit: NCAA Case Book: A.R 100
NFHS Rule Book 9.4 Where the rule uses the word strike, I believe is in regard to using the fist. With kicking it is intent

4-29 says kicking is the act of intentionally striking the ball with any part of the leg or foot.

9-4 says a player shall not "..., intentionally kick it as in 4-29...."

Are there interps that include "clutching the ball with one's legs" in the kicking category?

rlarry Thu Oct 30, 2008 09:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 547081)
4-29 says kicking is the act of intentionally striking the ball with any part of the leg or foot.

9-4 says a player shall not "..., intentionally kick it as in 4-29...."

Are there interps that include "clutching the ball with one's legs" in the kicking category?

I don't want to argue with you but to your question, yes "clutching the ball with ones legs" involves intent

Spence Thu Oct 30, 2008 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlarry (Post 547087)
I don't want to argue with you but to your question, yes "clutching the ball with ones legs" involves intent

Not looking to argue. I'm a new ref and I just want to learn and interpret the rules correctly. My questions arose because there is no wording dealing with the "clutch" issue.

Adam Thu Oct 30, 2008 09:15am

It's generally accepted that for this purpose, "clutching" is similar to "striking."

rlarry Thu Oct 30, 2008 09:20am

I'm pretty sure the rule is the same in HS as NCAA. I can't find an Interp for HS, Here is the Ncaa interp and rule:

A.R. 100. A1 is dribbling the ball and falls to the floor while still dribbling.
While seated on the floor, A1 loses the ball and it is rolling
away. As B1 comes in to try to get the ball, A1 reaches out
with his or her legs, clamps the loose ball between his or her
feet and brings it toward his or her body. A1 never places his or
her hands on the ball. The ball is between A1’s legs as B1 gets
both hands on the ball.
RULING: A held ball cannot be called because A1 does not have his
or her hands on the ball. A1 is intentionally using his or her feet to
play the ball. This is illegal and a kicking violation shall be called on
A1.

Rule 4 Section 45. Kicking the Ball
Art. 1. Kicking the ball is striking it intentionally with any part of the leg
or the foot.

Hopefully one of the veterans can set it straight.
Have a good season Spence

Camron Rust Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 547089)
Not looking to argue. I'm a new ref and I just want to learn and interpret the rules correctly. My questions arose because there is no wording dealing with the "clutch" issue.

You are correct. You'll find that many rules are written in a compact and simple manner...without fully detailing all possibilities. You often have to understand what the purpose of the rule is in order understand all the scenarios that it applies to (or doesn't apply to). The letter of the rule is not alway sufficient to properly apply the rule. This is necessary in order to prevent the rulebook from rivaling the US Tax Code.

Back In The Saddle Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:11am

AFAIK, there is no corresponding NFHS interp. We've discussed this many times. I think most here are in agreement that "clutching," which is intentionally contacting and playing the ball with the legs, is a violation of the prohibition against kicking. I've even called one of these in the last month. But there is no direct rule or case support for it in NFHS.

rockyroad Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:34am

"Intentionally striking" does not have to be a violent act. I think the confusion is arising because some of us are looking at those words and thinking that the ball has to go sailing up into the 4th row as a result of the "stiking" with the legs. If the player clamps his/her legs around the ball, then they have "struck" (strucken? stricken? whatever) the ball with their legs, and it's a violation. Don't let commonly held definitions of a word limit what you are visualizing the rule to cover.

Back In The Saddle Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 547132)
"Intentionally striking" does not have to be a violent act. I think the confusion is arising because some of us are looking at those words and thinking that the ball has to go sailing up into the 4th row as a result of the "stiking" with the legs. If the player clamps his/her legs around the ball, then they have "struck" (strucken? stricken? whatever) the ball with their legs, and it's a violation. Don't let commonly held definitions of a word limit what you are visualizing the rule to cover.

I agree with the interpretation that "clutching" is striking. And I really want to go along with what you're saying, because it would give rules backing for that interp.

But words have widely accepted meanings. One should choose carefully among the various synonyms to ensure the correct shade of meaning is communicated. "Striking" is a pretty, well striking word for the rules writers to have chosen if their intent was to include all types of deliberate contact between leg/foot and the ball. They need to either select a different word or phrase -- like "deliberately contact" -- which could be done as an editorial change, or they should expand the definition of kicking to include "trapping or grasping the ball with the leg/foot", or else issue a case play or interp. The NCAA already has.

M&M Guy Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 547156)
I agree with the interpretation that "clutching" is striking. And I really want to go along with what you're saying, because it would give rules backing for that interp.

But words have widely accepted meanings. One should choose carefully among the various synonyms to ensure the correct shade of meaning is communicated. "Striking" is a pretty, well striking word for the rules writers to have chosen if their intent was to include all types of deliberate contact between leg/foot and the ball. They need to either select a different word or phrase -- like "deliberately contact" -- which could be done as an editorial change, or they should expand the definition of kicking to include "trapping or grasping the ball with the leg/foot", or else issue a case play or interp. The NCAA already has.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. But I think even though the word is, well, pretty striking, I think we all know the ball doesn't have to be <strike out>strucken, stricken, strucked</strike out>, er, hit real hard to be a violation, even though the word implies that. The player might swing their leg hard enough to put it in the 4th row, but if the ball just grazes off the leg enough to get re-directed, we all know it's still a violation.

I would also like to see the Fed. come out with an interp like the NCAA's though, just to make it crystal-clear.