The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

As an aside, this sound ignorant, but do you guys have any technique for coloring logos? I've always worn the patent leather shoes that are all black so I've never had to change anything. Do you just use a sharpie? Or will any black marker suffice?

Edit: I just purchased the shoes that JRut posted in this thread.

Last edited by ILRef80; Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 09:09am.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
As an aside, this sound ignorant, but do you guys have any technique for coloring logos? I've always worn the patent leather shoes that are all black so I've never had to change anything. Do you just use a sharpie? Or will any black marker suffice?

Edit: I just purchased the shoes that JRut posted in this thread.
I actually had the exact same question. And also, are the soles black? If not, what do you use do make them black? Or do you just leave the soles as they are? Thanks in advance.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
I actually had the exact same question. And also, are the soles black? If not, what do you use do make them black? Or do you just leave the soles as they are? Thanks in advance.
You either use a permanent marker or you use black shoe polish. Shoe Polish is does not easily work without being very sticky. Permanent marker tends to be a little cleaner and stays on much better. But if the issue is a little white or gray on the sole, I leave them alone. Once again, listen to the people you work for and the officials in your area. Some people would not care if the sole of the shoe is black, some would.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

JRut-the nike shoes are running shoes and I see more and more officials going to them. To you and everyone else using running shoes, any issue with twisted ankles by not having the flat sole.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone know anything about Official Footwear Ultimate Patent Leather. a new company owned by an official. I saw them on ump-attire.com
They look like the shoe Officials Choice used to carry.

Last edited by muxbule; Thu Oct 23, 2008 at 12:43am.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxbule View Post
JRut-the nike shoes are running shoes and I see more and more officials going to them. To you and everyone else using running shoes, any issue with twisted ankles by not having the flat sole.
I've worn running shoes exclusively on the court for years and never twisted an ankle but I'm not trying to juke anyone out there.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You either use a permanent marker or you use black shoe polish. Shoe Polish is does not easily work without being very sticky. Permanent marker tends to be a little cleaner and stays on much better. But if the issue is a little white or gray on the sole, I leave them alone. Once again, listen to the people you work for and the officials in your area. Some people would not care if the sole of the shoe is black, some would.

Peace
I keep a black magic marker in my bag and touch up my shoes during pregame and it works fine. After a while you have enough coats on there that it doesn't take much.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone know anything about Official Footwear Ultimate Patent Leather. a new company owned by an official. I saw them on ump-attire.com
They look like the shoe Officials Choice used to carry.
Those are the shoes I pictured in post #12 of this thread, only mine are in patent. The official who owns the company is in my association. He's made shoes for a couple years now and I was hesitant about trying them, but everyone I know who wears the shoes loves them (and a lot of guys in our association wear them), so I decided to try them out this year since it's harder and harder to find all black shoes and I won't use a magic marker.

I haven't worn them in a game yet, but they did feel great when I put them on. I have never worn a low shoe before, so that will be interesting. I also bought the mid-cut, but those don't come in patent yet so I need to shine them.

This is also the first year I'll be wearing shiny shoes, which is something I always vowed never to do, but it was recommended at camp as something I can do to look more professional.

The shoes are reasonably priced and are well built.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Those are the shoes I pictured in post #12 of this thread, only mine are in patent. The official who owns the company is in my association. He's made shoes for a couple years now and I was hesitant about trying them, but everyone I know who wears the shoes loves them (and a lot of guys in our association wear them), so I decided to try them out this year since it's harder and harder to find all black shoes and I won't use a magic marker.

I haven't worn them in a game yet, but they did feel great when I put them on. I have never worn a low shoe before, so that will be interesting. I also bought the mid-cut, but those don't come in patent yet so I need to shine them.

This is also the first year I'll be wearing shiny shoes, which is something I always vowed never to do, but it was recommended at camp as something I can do to look more professional.

The shoes are reasonably priced and are well built.

^^ What he said....I wear them too...in patent.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan View Post
I keep a black magic marker in my bag and touch up my shoes during pregame and it works fine. After a while you have enough coats on there that it doesn't take much.
If I have to go through all of that, I will leave them alone. Then again I live in an area it does not seem to mean a whole lot in the first place. I do not see people getting fired over this.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 04:03pm
M.A.S.H.

Last night during halftime, I noticed my Refs were coming apart. So....

I just brought a pair of the Nike Men's Shox Remix + II Leather shoes from the Finish Line.

Athletic Shoes, Running Shoes, Basketball Shoes for Men, Women & Kids' | FinishLine.com | Nike Men's Shox Remix + II Leather

Jeff... is this what you wear?
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 06:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Last night during halftime, I noticed my Refs were coming apart. So....

I just brought a pair of the Nike Men's Shox Remix + II Leather shoes from the Finish Line.

Athletic Shoes, Running Shoes, Basketball Shoes for Men, Women & Kids' | FinishLine.com | Nike Men's Shox Remix + II Leather

Jeff... is this what you wear?
No.

My shoes are Air Max.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Smitty, I get no picture in post 12. Where did you purchase them. Does the guy in your association have them. I only saw them on ump attire and I thought they were mid cut in patent.

Last edited by muxbule; Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 01:02am.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Haven't broke them in yet. I have only worn them around the house. They've felt alright so far but I'm not one who is prone to foot problems. I've only had one pair of sneakers (Nikes) that have ever bothered me on the court.
Did you black out the "N" logo or any of the gray around the bottom? I know it's easy to black stuff out if it's leather but if it's plastic or rubber it might be a little tougher.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 02:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am so sorry I did not appear to answer your question. I must have missed it when reading this at the time.

No, I have not had any problems with running shoes. I also do not have a lot of ankle problems either. I do not like high top type shoes. I did by the NB 888 last year and they were fine, but they feel a little heavy to me. I prefer the running shoe because they are a better fit on your feet and they do not feel so clunky.

Peace
Closed Thread