The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Save/Dribble - Legal Play? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/49380-save-dribble-legal-play.html)

Spence Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:41pm

Save/Dribble - Legal Play?

Am I correct that the following is legal?

A1 dribbling in backcourt - loses control of the dribble - ball going OOB and A1 bats it back onto the court(note: A1 goes OOB after batting the ball) - A1 comes back inbounds and gets to the ball where he continues dribbling it without having picked it up.

Legal?

Ch1town Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:45pm

When did the dribble end?

jritchie Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:53pm

I believe if you are going to save a ball heading oob, if your momentum takes you out of bounds and you get back in bounds before contacting the ball, it should be legal since it was an interrupted dribble and you were just trying to save it from going oob!

Spence Thu Oct 16, 2008 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 543544)

I assume that's rhetorical which would seem to indicate that it is a legal play.

Adam Thu Oct 16, 2008 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 543544)

It didn't. It was only interrupted. :)

Raymond Thu Oct 16, 2008 03:45pm

From the NCAA case book:

A.R. 111. A1, while airborne, catches the ball in an attempt to prevent a live ball from going out of bounds. A1 throws the ball to the floor as his/her momentum causes him/her to land out of bounds. A1 returns to the playing court where he/she:
(1) Recovers the ball; or
(2) Continues to dribble.
The official calls a traveling violation. Is the official correct?
RULING: No.
(1) and (2) The official was incorrect in calling a traveling violation because when A1 caught the ball while airborne, he/she had no established pivot foot. When he/she threw the ball to the floor, returned to the floor after being legally out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball, it became a dribble.
(1) When A1 recovered the ball, the dribble ended.
(2) A1 is permitted to continue his/her dribble.

(Rule 4-68, 4-21.2 and 4-21.4.a)

Spence Fri Oct 17, 2008 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 543595)
From the NCAA case book:

A.R. 111. A1, while airborne, catches the ball in an attempt to prevent
a live ball from going out of bounds. A1 throws the ball to the floor as his/her momentum causes him/her to land out of bounds. A1 returns to the playing court where he/she:
(1) Recovers the ball; or
(2) Continues to dribble.
The official calls a traveling violation. Is the official correct?
RULING: No.
(1) and (2) The official was incorrect in calling a traveling violation because when A1 caught the ball while airborne, he/she had no established pivot foot. When he/she threw the ball to the floor, returned to the floor after being legally out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball, it became a dribble.
(1) When A1 recovered the ball, the dribble ended.
(2) A1 is permitted to continue his/her dribble.

(Rule 4-68, 4-21.2 and 4-21.4.a)

Good info.

The one difference I see in the above vs the OP is the ball wasn't actually caught in the OP - it was batted.

In your situation, if A1 caught it while airborne AFTER having already been dribbling the ball (and lets assume the defense didn't knock it away) the dribble has ended, correct?

Raymond Fri Oct 17, 2008 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 543689)
Good info.

The one difference I see in the above vs the OP is the ball wasn't actually caught in the OP - it was batted.

In your situation, if A1 caught it while airborne AFTER having already been dribbling the ball (and lets assume the defense didn't knock it away) the dribble has ended, correct?

Yes, in that case he would have to pass or shoot...or call time-out (NFHS).

Ch1town Fri Oct 17, 2008 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 543690)
Yes, in that case he would have to pass or shoot...or request a time-out (NFHS).

You knew somebody was going to get it, may as well be me :D

Adam Fri Oct 17, 2008 09:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 543541)
Am I correct that the following is legal?

A1 dribbling in backcourt - loses control of the dribble - ball going OOB and A1 bats it back onto the court(note: A1 goes OOB after batting the ball) - A1 comes back inbounds and gets to the ball where he continues dribbling it without having picked it up.

Legal?

A philosophical point. If you can't find a reason in the rules for it to be illegal, it's legal.

Raymond Fri Oct 17, 2008 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 543690)
Yes, in that case he would have to pass or shoot...or call time-out (NFHS).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 543691)
You knew somebody was going to get it, may as well be me :D

I never got caught up in that debate...the only time I literally get requests for times-out is actually during dead ball periods. IE: after reporting a foul the coach will ask "can I get a time-out please?"

During live balls "time-out" is usually called out by a player or coach.