The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 05:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Question for you multi-sport officials

Over the years, one of the things we've discussed are the differences between basketball rules at different levels. As we all know, there is a multitude of differences between NF and NBA. For those of you who also work baseball and football, do you think there's more differences between HS and pro (not semi-pro, but NFL and MLB) in either one of those two games (or both) or do you think there's more differences in basketball.

I'm just curious as to which of the three sports would take the most training to move from calling a HS game to a pro game (not that it's actually happening). Thanks.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I work both basketball and baseball. Of those, baseball has the greater differences.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2008, 08:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I work football and basketball.

Basketball in Ontario use to be a joke.

High school = Fed. Why, I dunno.
Club = Fed.
Men's University = modified NCAA.
Women's University = modified FIBA.
College = different NCAA.

All now use FIBA except for HS. We've already seen in my city some officials decide not to do HS because they use Fed.

Football in Canada is way cooler. All amateur uses one ruleset. Pro (CFL) uses their own rules, though many difference are cosmetic. (eg: where a touchback goes to.) Moving from minor to HS to college to CFL football is rather easy in terms of rules, etc.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 01:33am
Do not give a damn!!

By far football has the biggest differences. There are almost 200 differences from the high school level to the college level. There are about the same amount of differences from the college level to the pro level. The games look different, play different and are officiated different because of those drastic differences. The differences in basketball and baseball are minimal when you talk about football. Most people do not even realize the differences in those sports. Most of the major rules are exactly the same from the NF to the NBA and NF to MLB.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 04, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
By far football has the biggest differences. There are almost 200 differences from the high school level to the college level. There are about the same amount of differences from the college level to the pro level. The games look different, play different and are officiated different because of those drastic differences. The differences in basketball and baseball are minimal when you talk about football. Most people do not even realize the differences in those sports. Most of the major rules are exactly the same from the NF to the NBA and NF to MLB.
Agreed. IMO the differences in NFHS versus NCAA and NFL rules is greater than in any other sport.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith