The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Talking

From the "You Don't See That Every Day" file comes this delightful story from the wonderful world of Australian Rules Football:

Nibbling Nuts Costs Footballer Ten Weeks

Peter Filandia was suspended for 10 matches by the VFL Tribunal last night and ordered to have counselling before he can play again after being found guilty of biting an opponent's testicle.

It was one of the most unusual and bizarre cases to come before a football disciplinary tribunal. The tribunal said that Filandia had done "untold damage to the game of football" and it was something he would have to live with.

That ain't all he'll have to live with!

Filandia, the captain and assistant coach of Port Melbourne, was found guilty of biting Springvale's Chad Davis in Sunday's match at Port Melbourne. He pleaded guilty under provocation, saying his action was a result of panic when his head was caught in a scissors hold by Davis' legs.

If you've made it this far without falling from your chair in a fit laughter, stick around because it gets better.

Filandia said, "It was a split-second decision made in a state of panic - and I emphasise panic - to release his grip around my neck and mouth."

Davis received a small puncture mark and bruising over a two-centimetre area of his scrotum. Although aware at the time that he had been bitten, he was not aware of the bleeding until after the game. He was put on antibiotics and both players had blood tests.

It seems Filandia was attempting to ensure Aussie Rules was not "left behind" by competing code rugby league, so to speak. Last season Wests Tigers player John Hopoate was forced into temporary retirement after he was found guilty of conduct unbecoming by the NRL judiciary. The conduct in question? Inserting a digit up the arse of opposition players when he tackled them. Hopoate claimed it was intended to "unsettle" his opponents.

YUCK!! I wonder what Charlton Heston would have to say about that?
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 10:22am
In Memoriam

I wonder what signal the referee used for each one???
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 10:35am
Esteemed Participant

I think having someone's finger up your arse would be VERY unsettling!! Maybe it's all the beer they drink down under - I don't know...maybe Oz can explain these things to us...then again - I'm not really sure I want an explanation...
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

That’s what you get for playing football in shorts.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 02:43pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
That’s what you get for playing football in shorts.
What else would you wear to play futbol if you didn't wear shorts.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

..."untold damage to the game of football"

Untold damage is right...to something...

Quote:
[i]
I wonder what Charlton Heston would have to say about that? [/B]
"Don't eat the Soylent Green! It's people!"
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 04:02pm
Esteemed Participant

I believe Charlton Heston would say -
"Get your hands off me you damn, stinking...." since ape wouldn't fit, you can fill in the blank with whatever comes to mind....
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
I believe Charlton Heston would say -
"Get your hands off me you damn, stinking...." since ape wouldn't fit, you can fill in the blank with whatever comes to mind....
If you've seen Aussie football you might agree that "ape"
fits just fine.
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I LOVE Australian Rules Football. It's really sad that ESPN2 never carries it anymore. Even FoxSports carries the NFL Europe instead of the AFL. You want action, scoring and real hitting, then you want Australian Football. And I'm being serious. And there's no huddles. That by itself makes it 20 times better than the NFL.

Chuck
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
And there's no huddles. That by itself makes it 20 times better than the NFL.
And now you can add 2 more things that make it better!!
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I LOVE Australian Rules Football. It's really sad that ESPN2 never carries it anymore. Even FoxSports carries the NFL Europe instead of the AFL. You want action, scoring and real hitting, then you want Australian Football. And I'm being serious. And there's no huddles. That by itself makes it 20 times better than the NFL.

Chuck
Me too!
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

What can I say? Every sport has it's psychos (aka Dennis Rodman's) and this guy is the one for AFL.

As far as some of the praise towards AFL - I took a couple of friends from the US to a game - two of which played college football (one a defensive tackle for Washinton State, the other a Tight End for Purdue). They thought that the guys that play AFL must be crazy - big hits, heaps of speed, a huge ground to play on and no helmets or padding!

As an aside - a similar incident happened last week in a South American soccer match - a player poked another player int he arse with his finger. The poked player retaliated and threw a puch - resulting in a send off. Interestingly, the player that instigated the problem will escape punishment because the league doesn't accept video evidence.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 10:19pm
Administrator

Quote:

Chuck

I agree with you Chuck about the action, scoring, and hitting, and it is a shame that ESPN does not carry ARF, because it is one of its signature sports from its early years. But I have seen ARF on FoxSports this past year.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 13, 2002, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
As an aside - a similar incident happened last week in a South American soccer match - a player poked another player int he arse with his finger. The poked player retaliated and threw a puch - resulting in a send off. Interestingly, the player that instigated the problem will escape punishment because the league doesn't accept video evidence.
Well, South American Soccer, we would expect that in
South American Soccer!
Old Tue May 14, 2002, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Chuck

I agree with you Chuck about the action, scoring, and hitting, and it is a shame that ESPN does not carry ARF, because it is one of its signature sports from its early years. But I have seen ARF on FoxSports this past year.
Mark - I hate to be picky, but what is ARF? The correct name is AFL (Australian Football League) or colloquially "Aussie Rules".

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee