The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to ripian
I was in the stands waiting to work my game and saw this play.

This was in a U15 boys game. Black just scored on Red. Black player takes the ball out and inbounds a long (and pretty good) pass 3/4 length of the court to his team mate who scores an uncontested layup on his own basket. The next thing was the ball goes out of bounds for the Black team throw in under there basket but because all the players are confused now no one throws the ball in and black gets called for a 5 second violation.

Fortunatly I had a chance to talk to the crew before my game and they came to this conclusion...

They should of stopped the black team throw in that they were not entitled to in the first place and restarted with the red throw in.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Ah, yes. I remember not being able to blow my whistle, while I was choking....
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Doh!
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

No violation on Black

Would think that you can't possibly cite Black for violating the five second throw-in time. I wasn't their ball to create the violation.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

It WAS Black's ball for the throw-in.
They had just scored for the Red team,
so it's Black's ball on the endline.

Since the refs didn't catch the improper
throw-in right away, they did the right
thing by letting things happen. After all,
Black was dumb enough to score for the
Red team, so they got what they deserved.

If this was AAU, I can just imagine all the
SCREAMING coaches and parents.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

With it all happening so quickly, at what point have you lost the opportunity to blow this play dead for the illegal throw in? By the time the player catches the 3/4 court pass, at the moment Black scores for Red, after they scored, etc.?

I would see a delay of game warning to Black and an inbound to Red on this play, and play from the point of Black scoring the initial basket in their opponent's basket (since you are Canadian, I am assuming FIBA terminology in this case applies - see other thread ).
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

NF has a casebook play that covers the sitch. I don't know about FIBA.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 01:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ripian

This was in a U15 boys game. Black just scored on Red. Black player takes the ball out and inbounds a long (and pretty good) pass 3/4 length of the court to his team mate who scores an uncontested layup on his own basket. The next thing was the ball goes out of bounds for the Black team throw in under there basket but because all the players are confused now no one throws the ball in and black gets called for a 5 second violation.

Fortunatly I had a chance to talk to the crew before my game and they came to this conclusion...

They should of stopped the black team throw in that they were not entitled to in the first place and restarted with the red throw in.
Can you tell us what rules you use? Since you said that after black scored, they went to the other end of the court and scored into their own basket, the inference would be FEEBLE (sorry, can't bring myself to stop that). In NF, teams score into their own basket and defend their opponents basket.

Under NF rules, there are different things that could have been done, even with the refs screwing up. Black could have received a delay warning for preventing red from being able to promptly put the ball in play following the original score, for one.

What was the red coach doing during all of this. If it was a typical game here, he would have been screaming the whole time. Or, perhaps, taking a nap.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Red coach probably wanted a three seconds call on Black prior to Black scoring for Red, because the Black player had been in the lane the entire time the ball was at the other end of the court.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Or he wanted an "over and back" because they threw it into their backcourt on an inbound play.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 01:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I've got a "reach".
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

It's just a good thing there wasn't an intentional foul on the shooter making a successful three point shot at the wrong basket.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I remain amazed, really, that two 15 year olds could manage to combine their efforts so effectively to make this mistake. One person scoring in wrong basket, seen it, especially right after halftime, although it should be rare enough at this age. One person inbounding while another breaks down court for the open lay-up, after their own team scored at the other end of the court, that's something I haven't seen beyond 3rd grade rec (and they would miss the layup anyway!).
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ripian

OK, I read this different than the rest of you."Black just scored on Red.". So black scored in their own basket. Now, "Black player takes the ball out and inbounds a long (and pretty good) pass 3/4 length of the court to his team mate who scores an uncontested layup on his own basket.". This again says Black's "OWN BASKET". So the teammate drives back to his own basket and score again, i.e. 3/4 length back to his own basket. Now, if we continue to play then Red should have the throwin. "The next thing was the ball goes out of bounds for the Black team throw in under there basket but because all the players are confused now no one throws the ball in and black gets called for a 5 second violation.". Again, rapian, is saying the ball is at Black's end of the court. So, the teammate had to come back 3/4 length to score. So, JAdams is correct on not being able "cite" black for a 5sec. throwin violation.

Old Fri May 03, 2002, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Bart
Please note that ripian is from Canada, own basket in FIBA is the one you defend (rather than the one into which you should be scoring!). changes the interp of this sitch a bit I think, in that Black socred in Red's basket first (as it should in FIBA) then into its own (for REd).