The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question Toronto vs. Detroit

If you watched the end of this game, you might recall this. Detroit trailing, 82-77, 1:35 left. Coming out of a timeout, Detroit to inbound at 28' line in frontcourt. As the official bounces the ball to the Detroit inbounder, the Toronto defender (Alvin Williams?) waves at the official and asks him to wait, to tie his shoe. The official blows the whistle and gets the ball back. In the meantime, the Detroit players had made the first cut of their inbounds play. During the shoe tying, Toronto subs Jerome Williams in for Antonio Davis, to guard Corliss Williamson. Maybe Lenny Wilkens saw something in the play that clued him in that Detroit was going to Williamson on the play, because they did, and Jerome Williams' tenacious defense helped force a missed shot.

Should the official ignore the shoe tying request in the NBA? In NCAA? In NFHS? In junior high games?

[Edited by A Pennsylvania Coach on Apr 30th, 2002 at 03:53 PM]
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I missed that but I guess you now have your answer, at
least in the NBA. And if they'll delay the game for a
sneaker lace check in the NBA I guess it's OK all the way
down to JH ball...cool.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 04:10pm
In Memoriam

Another story came out of this game re:shoes.Brent Barry of Detroit lost his shoe at the same time the whistle blew.He went running right to the ref carrying his shoe and the ball,and handed the ball to the ref.Whack--T!Barry said he wasn't trying to show the ref up-he just wanted to get the ball to him in a hurry so that he could get his shoe back on.The ref is getting roasted in a few papers that I read for calling the T.Oh,by the way,the referee was Bernie Fryer.Poor guy is just not having a good week.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like Lenny pulled a slick one. Is it possible that Lenny planned this delaying act to give himself a look at the personnel and alignment on a critical inbound play, then make a sub if needed? Most of these guys have laces zipped into their shoes anyway, so it's hard for me to buy that this wasn't premeditated by one of the experienced coaches in the NBA.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Eroe39 or MDrake,

I would be interested to hear your guys takes on this event if you get around to this forum.

iref21
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 06:10pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Another story came out of this game re:shoes.Brent Barry of Detroit lost his shoe at the same time the whistle blew.He went running right to the ref carrying his shoe and the ball,and handed the ball to the ref.Whack--T!Barry said he wasn't trying to show the ref up-he just wanted to get the ball to him in a hurry so that he could get his shoe back on.The ref is getting roasted in a few papers that I read for calling the T.Oh,by the way,the referee was Bernie Fryer.Poor guy is just not having a good week.
Same thing happened to Jon Barry.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Same thing happened to Jon Barry.
I stand corrected and hang my head in abject shame!In my defense,I must say that all those Barry's look alike anyway.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I agree, they look Barry much alike.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

I saw that game. Jon Barry showed the ref up. You'd have to see it, but he deserved the T, IMHO.

Z
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Z, good T.