The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Lightbulb

Did anyone catch the segment on Rasheed Wallace that NBC ran this weekend? It was talking about his "difficulties" with the NBA officials. He couldn't believe that he had gotten T's for staring down officials.
Well when they got to his mother, it ALL made since. She said that it is obvious that most officials are very small people and they automatically feel intimidated when a tall African American man stands next to them! Since most officials aren't very tall, this is the only way they could "get into the game" and it makes them feel bigger by Teching Rasheed. My wife and I couldn't believe she said that!! By her logic, Shaq would lead the league in T's and Manute Bol would be the all time T leader, with Ralph Sampson a close second!
Did anyone else catch that or was I hallucinating on NyQuill?
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I saw what you are talking about. I was also amazed when Rasheed's mom said that about the intimidation factor of the officials. The officials in the NBA are used to seeing bigger, stronger, taller, and athletic men in the league and they just decide to pick on Wallace because he is special. He is special alright, he's a brat and he gets it from his mom and his wife says that she doesn't understand it either.

They said that they didn't think that Wallace needed some professional help. He REALLY thinks that the officials are cheating him. The man needs help and he needs to over re-act to officials calls.

What do you guys think?
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 04:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by cubanbean
I saw what you are talking about. I was also amazed when Rasheed's mom said that about the intimidation factor of the officials. The officials in the NBA are used to seeing bigger, stronger, taller, and athletic men in the league and they just decide to pick on Wallace because he is special. He is special alright, he's a brat and he gets it from his mom and his wife says that she doesn't understand it either.

They said that they didn't think that Wallace needed some professional help. He REALLY thinks that the officials are cheating him. The man needs help and he needs to over re-act to officials calls.

What do you guys think?
I think his mom is an enabler and that he should, along with Bob Whitsett, get out of the Blazer organization for good. The Jailblazers had the number 1, 3 (Wells) and 11 (Pippen) technical foul leaders this season.

I live in Portland and I wouldn't walk across the street to watch them if they paid me. They're a disgrace to our community and to basketball.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

You guys really missed it.

She made these same comments on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" this month.

Then she went on to say something like, "I like intimidating people" while she laughted.

His old coach Dunleavy made these comments, "I think he need professional help."

For anyone that does not understand that the entire officiating staff is not picking on them, and if they were would you think he would be smart enough to adjust his behavior.

Rasheed is just stupid. He should go back to school like Vince Carter.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 03:08am
In Memoriam

Believe it or not,I still think that there's hope for Rasheed Wallace-not to say that he isn't an embarassment now.There's a little force in play here that's called "maturity".Some get it later than others,but unfortunately some never do quite get it.There's a certain little tattooed point guard in Philly that going through it now.Iverson's sure grown up a lot since he first entered the league.I get the biggest kick out of Charles Barkley moaning about the players to-day.He was absolutely ridiculous when he first came into the league,but he changed his rap when he got older.I can think of a bunch of other examples,also.I think Rick Barry is a good example of someone who never got it.He was whiny when he played,and he sure hasn't changed since then.The twin towers down in San Antonio are good examples of players who came into the league with their act together.Both of them were very mature,but both of them also had the four full years of college experience to get that way.I'm either an optimist or an idiot,but I still think that there's hope for Wallace.This is JMO.
Btw,as you can tell from some of my posts,I'm still working on this maturity thingy.I'm fighting it as hard as I can.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Maybe the NBA is different, but as an official, I have no time to waste trying to single out players. If he feels he is getting too many T's, then he should modify his behavior.

There is an old axiom, "The players will adjust to your calls". Obviously it has not happened in this case.

Much like the Cuban thing, I find it hard to discuss the NBA. I have not watched the NBA, or a game in about 4 years. I just don't find it fun or entertaining any more. Maybe the young guys will get there, or I am just biased, but I just don't see the bird-Johnson, Johnson-jordan, Jordan-Thomas, or characters like Barkley in the league. I also do not see nay really great teams. Do you think the Lakers could have beat the Suns, Blazers, Pistons, or Bulls from the early 90's? I don't think they could even carry the showtime lakers jocks.

I always thought it was a joke, but I really think expansion has diluted the league. I say they wack a few teams and see if it gets any better. All appoogies to those who live there, but would anyone miss the Hawks, Grizzlies, Heat, Hornets?
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Personally I think one of the big problems with all pro sports these days is the lack of loyalty. Here in Australia we get pretty limited coverage of the NBA (esp in the off season). 10 years ago that wasn't a problem, I knew that Magic would be a Laker, Bird a Celtic and the Clippers would suck. These days players change teams more often than I change my underwear - and not just any old role-player but the cream of the crop "marque" players as well.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Personally I think one of the big problems with all pro sports these days is the lack of loyalty. Here in Australia we get pretty limited coverage of the NBA (esp in the off season). 10 years ago that wasn't a problem, I knew that Magic would be a Laker, Bird a Celtic and the Clippers would suck. These days players change teams more often than I change my underwear - and not just any old role-player but the cream of the crop "marque" players as well.
Well, the clippers still suck, so maybe all is OK with the world.
Old Fri May 03, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
Talking

If you guys want to actually see some good, fun NBA basketball, watch the Mavs / Kings series, starting tomorrow. I live in the Dallas area, and I can tell you they play fun ball. Not the boring slow down, isolation crap, that went on in the NBA for so many years. The new rule changes with the defensive 3 second call, seems to have opened things up quite a bit. The Mavs led the NBA in scoring, and the Kings were second this year. I can't wait.