The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

This happened Monday in my neck of the woods....

Girls varsity playoffs, Area Finals, score tied 37-37. Horn sounds at end of 4th. Teams huddle to prep for OT.

Team A receives a bench T. (As in sTupid.) B is awarded two throws. B1 sinks first throw. The crew working the game tells the book that the game is over, with B winning 38-37. Crew leaves.

Next morning, Coach A (no doubt armed with rulebook) calls the state assoc to appeal. State recognizes the oops, apologizes, and sets up the continuation of the game for that afternoon, complete with new refs.

OT resumes with B1 taking her second throw, and B inbounding at the division line. Of course, Team A holds B to one field goal in OT and wins going away.

Anyone ever kick a call in the playoffs?
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Oops is right! That's a basic rule...makes me wonder about that associations selection of referees for tournament play.
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Tugger, why question the selection of officials? We have all blown calls, used an incorrect interpretation of the rule, and just outright did not know a rule.

My question is: "Did the other official discuss the call with his partner or did he just accept it?" Many times we are unsure about whether something is correct and will not say anything to avoid an appearance of conflict. It was unfortunate that it happened in a playoff game, but it can happen anywhere.

We all have to admit that we do not spend enough time in the rulebook and this discussion page shows it as many people answer from the hip and find out later that they do not know the rule!
Old Wed Feb 16, 2000, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to mention that we use three person mechanics here in Alabama.

You'd think that the odds would be in favor of getting that situation straightened out before leaving the court.

Maybe I'm just a rookie...
I guess that these happen to a lot of folks.

I just hope that IF I ever miss anything, it won't end up on the sports page. It's not too often that girl's hoops make the evening news donw here, either.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by Martin Morgan on 02-16-2000 08:11 PM
Maybe I'm just a rookie...
I guess that these happen to a lot of folks.

I just hope that IF I ever miss anything, it won't end up on the sports page. It's not too often that girl's hoops make the evening news donw here, either.

As a rookie, if you have ever called a game, you have missed calls. I can appreciate your confidence, but when you say IF (and emphasize it), it makes you sound arrogant. You will blow calls--some just bigger than others! Be teachable, learn from the mistakes and advice of others who have gone before you, and have fun--you won't be a rookie for long if you are humble.

Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

BK,

I appreciate your response. When I said "IF", I meant to refer to missing a call that big. I guess that I wasn't typing exactly what I was thinking.

I have blown calls before. Of course, I try not to make a habit of it.
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

A very experienced official once told me that no matter how well you know the rules, mechanics, and nuances of officiating, there is a situation waiting somewhere to reach up and bite you on the #$%#. We all have to be as careful and diligent as possible and keep goofs to a minimun. But when all is said and done it can still happen to anyone!
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I thought my mess up was bad. 1:46 left in the last period score within two points. I misinterepted a backcourt call. I work for a tv station and i saw the tape and I sill have no idea what in the world I called r saw. I guess I take some consolation that it wasn't that bad as the first one.

CHRIS
Old Thu Feb 17, 2000, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Missing a call is one thing. Not knowing the rules and working a state tournament game should not happen.
Old Sun Feb 20, 2000, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Only in Alabama
Old Sun Feb 20, 2000, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, it doesn't just happen in AL. According to Referee Mag. Officials are being Penalize all the time. Most recently Texas. Last Year 3 officials in Pac 10(I think) lost 10 Games.