The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officiating philosophy (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/47647-officiating-philosophy.html)

mu4scott Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:55pm

Officiating philosophy

I'm curious to hear what you veteran posters think about Welmer's philosophy at the start of a game.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1FXq66q26M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v1FXq66q26M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

just another ref Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:08pm

I don't think much of it at all. To suggest that home or visitor makes any difference in any call is basically a bad idea. Seems mainly like a guy showing off in front of the camera to me.

JRutledge Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:12pm

You do not care what we think, so why answer. ;)

Peace

JugglingReferee Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:17pm

I don't know what a 150%-er call is, nor am I sure I know know what a 90%-er is.

When I see something that needs to be called, it is called. I don't care which team it is on, nor if it's a violation, foul, or held ball.

I also think the video is poor because not once did we see a pants-pull.

mu4scott Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
You do not care what we think, so why answer. ;)

Peace

As long as I can comprehend what you write I always care.

JRutledge Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mu4scott
As long as I can comprehend what you write I always care.

You do not comprehend what you are writing. You I guess you really do not care.

Peace

Adam Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I don't know what a 150%-er call is, nor am I sure I know know what a 90%-er is.

When I see something that needs to be called, it is called. I don't care which team it is on, nor if it's a violation, foul, or held ball.

I also think the video is poor because not once did we see a pants-pull.

That's a production oversight that will be corrected in the editing room.

mu4scott Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:25pm

Quote:

You do not comprehend what you are writing. You I guess you really do not care.

Peace

Your honor I rest my case.

Adam Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:28pm

Quote:

So, are you saying that you can't understand Rut because of his minor typoes? Seriously?
A bit of advice; pointing out someone's typing errors for the sole purposes of attempting to discredit what they are quite obviously saying isn't going to gain you respect around here. If you don't care about that, fine; I'm just saying.

JRutledge Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:29pm

Quote:

And you would not understand Welmer's point of view either. I have actually heard Welmer talk about this directly and there was a little more to it than what you posted. So why spend time trying to explain it to you. Then again, smart people can read typos. I read them here all the time and get by just fine. Then again, you think GM is just about calling fouls remember (which many people told you how wrong you were).

Peace

JugglingReferee Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:31pm

Quote:

And you would not understand Welmer's point of view either. I have actually heard Welmer talk about this directly and there was a little more to it than what you posted. So why spend time trying to explain it to you. Then again, smart people can read typos. I read them here all the time and get by just fine. Then again, you think GM is just about calling fouls remember (which many people told you how wrong you were).

Jeff, can you please us more about Welmer's philosophy?

mu4scott Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:35pm

Quote:

Peace

Ummm first off I thought it was rather amusing that after I chided Jrut about his typos he has one in his rebuttle. Sorry my humor can be a little off center.

Don't dance around it Jrut. He said make sure at the start of the game you have a no doubter on the visiting team if you are going to call it. A 150% if you will. Do you agree?

BTW don't put words in my mouth. I never once said the Game Management was just about calling fouls. You sure love to do that to people.

JRutledge Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Jeff, can you please us more about Welmer's philosophy?

All he said is if you have a close play, give the early call to the visitor so can let them (visitors) know early they are not getting screwed (I am paraphrasing). I have heard Welmer talk about this the last 3 years and of course there was more detail to the comments. When I heard him talk he used a block/charge reference when giving the percentages as it related to who gets that first call.

To me this comment is no different than what people say about block/charges and the many philosophies people use to help them be consistent in their mind.

Peace

Tio Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:40pm

I like the thought process. The first call of the game has got to be strong!

I think we have to be aware that road coaches think they aren't going to get a fair shake when they play in someone else's gym. The first call being solid might be the difference between having a coach all over the crew or not.

JRutledge Thu Aug 21, 2008 01:45pm

Quote:

Ummm first off I thought it was rather amusing that after I chided Jrut about his typos he has one in his rebuttle. Sorry my humor can be a little off center.

Don't dance around it Jrut. He said make sure at the start of the game you have a no doubter on the visiting team if you are going to call it. A 150% if you will. Do you agree?

BTW don't put words in my mouth. I never once said the Game Management was just about calling fouls. You sure love to do that to people.

Who cares if I agree? I am not Welmer and I do not work on national TV every single game. Unlike some people here, I know my place. ;)

Peace